Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Death of the Five-Test Series

International Captain LongHopCassidy's Avatar

The Death of the Five-Test Series

Friends, Romans, Cricketwebbers, an endangered species is among us. It is not, as previously thought, an Ashley Giles wicket or a Bucknor good decision. Yet it is as, if not more, noticed and celebrated than either of these two occurrences.

It is the five Test series.

In all seriousness, though, what on earth is the ICC playing at with the current itinerary? A two Test series between Australia and New Zealand was an insult to all concerned. It seems the only series remaining sacred are those concerning matches between England and Australia or South Africa.

Some say that the quality of cricket merits the series length. If that's true, then why aren't Australia-India series and the like given greater length?

Your two cents?
    "The Australian cricket captain is the Prime Minister Australia wishes it had. Steve Waugh is that man, Michael Clarke is not." - Jarrod Kimber

RIP Fardin Qayyumi and Craig Walsh - true icons of CricketWeb.

I think 3 test series are good. Nothing less than that, even involving Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. What really is a shame though is the Frank Worrell Trophy being reduced to 3 tests.
    Stedders' Supported XI (in batting order)
    NJ Kruger, *SM Katich, LA Carseldine, MEK Hussey, Mohammad Ashraful, NT Broom, AA Noffke, +Mushfiqur Rahim, Mashrafe Mortaza, DE Bollinger, WAP Mendis.

CricketWeb Black!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NUFAN View Post
    I think Ponting forgot to take his Swiss Ulti-Vites when he was on 99 not out.
    RIP Fardin.

Hall of Fame Member superkingdave's Avatar
    isn't it the two boards concerned that decide the length of the series?
    Dave Mohammed >>>> You

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    The problem is having to fit so many series into a fixed time scale.

Speaking from the English point of view, we have time for 7 Tests in a summer, so can only have 2 series (which fits in with the 5 year plan quite easily) - so it's easy to have a 5 Test series and a 2 (if we get one of the minnows for the 2) and a 4 and 3 in other times.

However all the other nations have their home seasons at the same time, so it becomes a lot more complicated then.

Of course if nations stopped playing so many meaningless ODI series (or such long series), there'd be more time to fit Tests in and play proper series.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by James90
    I think 3 test series are good. Nothing less than that, even involving Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. What really is a shame though is the Frank Worrell Trophy being reduced to 3 tests.
    At least though with the Frank Worrell trophy the series will probably be lengthened when it becomes competitive again.
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    The problem is having to fit so many series into a fixed time scale.

Speaking from the English point of view, we have time for 7 Tests in a summer, so can only have 2 series (which fits in with the 5 year plan quite easily) - so it's easy to have a 5 Test series and a 2 (if we get one of the minnows for the 2) and a 4 and 3 in other times.

However all the other nations have their home seasons at the same time, so it becomes a lot more complicated then.

Of course if nations stopped playing so many meaningless ODI series (or such long series), there'd be more time to fit Tests in and play proper series.
    Agree 100%.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Mister Wright's Avatar
    Burger Time Champion!
    It would be great to see less ODIs and more test matches, but the truth is that the ODIs bring in the cash. Not many cricket boards make money off test matches, in fact most probably lose money. It is the ODIs where boards make their money, they need them. If tests were to be competitive and last 5 days then I guess more people would turn up and we could see more 5 test series.
    Cricketweb Colts Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Hayden > Lehmann
    I'm a member of Club Kerry

I'm Green

The color of immortality, nature and envy - you are truly a unique person. While clearly the color of nature, you also symbolize rebirth, fertility and hope in the world. On the other side of the spectrum, a natural aptitude to money with green coming to signify money and possibly even *********!

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    its sad really.

the ashes has been one of the most exciting test series in living memory and partly because of the amount of time it took up.

it wasn't like Pakistan v England where England lose the series and quickly try to brush it under the carpet,there is no hiding in a 5 match series,it makes for more intresting cricket and has more chance of capturing the nations attention than a 3/2 match series.

but like Marc said,its never going to be that way. The ICC shot themselves in the foot when they introduced the 'everyone plays eachother twice in 4 years'.

I don't think we should play 5 tests against everyone,but when equaly matched teams come up against each other i think the boards should take notice.

if we did a poll on here,who could honestly say that 5 test series against equaly matched sides are a bad thing?

i'd love to see England play 5 tests against Pakistan next year but its just isn't a possibility anymore.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    I can see the problem if Aust. played 5 Tests series against Eng-WI-SA and played them every 4 years at home, as they try now. It would like this:

2005/06= 5 Tests V WI
    2006/07= 5 Tests V Eng
    2007/08= 5 Tests V SA
    2008/09= Other Countries
    2009/10= 5 Tests V WI
    2010/11= 5 Tests V Eng
    2011/12= 5 Tests V SA
    2012/13= Other Countries
    etc

This would result in Ind-****-SL-NZ-Zim-Ban, competing for one 5 Test series every 4 years and if they took turns this would mean India would visit Aust. once every 28 years

Having said that 5 Test series really can't work in Aust except against England and the occassional one off 5 Test series. I love 5 Test series. What ever happened to the 6 Test Ashes series?
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Having said that 5 Test series really can't work in Aust except against England and the occassional one off 5 Test series. I love 5 Test series. What ever happened to the 6 Test Ashes series?
    That was when we only had one tourist in each summer, and we would only play 5 or six in total, now we play 7 and there is literally no more time so if they played six against Aus then Bangladesh or Zim would only get one, and i think they have to have two for it to count to the ICC plan?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by superkingdave
    That was when we only had one tourist in each summer, and we would only play 5 or six in total, now we play 7 and there is literally no more time so if they played six against Aus then Bangladesh or Zim would only get one, and i think they have to have two for it to count to the ICC plan?
    Fair enough. It amazes me when I read how few Test series they once played, for example after the Bodyline series in 1932/33 they did not play another series in Aust. until 1936/37. Or four years later. Even as late as the 1969/70 season no Test Matches were played in Aust. that season.

I suppose in 32/33 you could have the excuse that it probably took them a few months to get home on the boat!

Plasmanaut on Fire Champion!
    its difficalt to keep interest for 5 tests in most series, in teh past FW trophy seris have done it well and the Ashes are always good.
    Member of CW Green
    Kerry O'Keefe - Worlds funniest Commentator

School Boy/Girl Captain
    but why not do like all other sports and play BEST OF 5 test series?

There is time to play two home best-of-5 series at home every season without playing less ODIs in the long run if they are stopped when the rubber is decided and replaced by the ODIs.

For instance next year England play 3 and 4 tests against Pakistan and India and then a number of ODIs. This is very unsatisfactory. One or possibly even two epic 5-test series will be lost simply to accomodate this ODI-nonsense.

Instead play them as best-of 5 series.
    If a series lasts 5 matches then no ODIs are played.
    if it lasts 4 matches a 3-game ODI series is played
    if its over in 3 games it will be a 5-game ODI series.

Englandīs summer would then be between 6-10 tests and 0-10 ODIs. That should not change the overall amount of cricket much and shouldnt be too much of a bother regarding the itinerary if the possible ODI-series are played at the venues that would otherwise have staged the 4th and 5th tests.
    Last edited by swede; 03-12-2005 at 06:03 PM.

Except against Zim and Bang. i think that a test series should have a minimum of 3 tests. 5 when the series is of some historical significance (ex; Aus vs Eng, Pak vs Ind) or the series is between two top teams who would draw an interest (ex Aus vs Ind, RSA vs Eng.)
    Cause Slifer said so.........!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information