• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Death of the Five-Test Series

Langeveldt

Soutie
I don't see why Australia and England should play a five test series together and not other countries..

I mean of course its produced some of the best series' of all time, but at the end of the day it makes a bit of a mockery of this ICC league, Arsenal and Chelsea don't play each other more often for example..

open365

International Vice-Captain
But doesn't Sri-Lanka play bangladesh in more games than other teams?

i'm not sure if its true,but i remeber reading somewhere that Murali got a lot more % of his wickets against BAN because they played them more often

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
open365 said:
But doesn't Sri-Lanka play bangladesh in more games than other teams?

i'm not sure if its true,but i remeber reading somewhere that Murali got a lot more % of his wickets against BAN because they played them more often
Tests played by Bangladesh:

8 v Zimbabwe
6 v Pakistan
5 v Sri Lanka
4 v England
4 v New Zealand
4 v South Africa
4 v West Indies
3 v India
2 v Australia

I suppose there's some kind of Bangladesh-Zimbabwe rivalry...

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
I suppose there's some kind of Bangladesh-Zimbabwe rivalry...
Only because they both suck now.

I'd love to see more 5-test series, and I really like the best of 5 idea. Only problem with treating ODIs as second class citizens is, as someone mentioned already, revenue. ODIs make a helluva lot more money than tests do, of course there is a possibility that this problem is solved with SJS's idea of having 5 test series only between rivals.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Sound like a good idea, just a couple of things. You may have Aust-WI and Sth Afr wanting to play England in a 5 Test series? And NZ wanting to play Aust. in a 5 Test series, how would they decide?
You could change that every four years, which makes one complete cycle.

Also, it could be combined with the much talked of option of gradation and dropping out of and getting bak into the elite group. This too could be done at the end of every one (or two) cycles with the bottom rung team in the elite group dropping out and the top one in the minnows getting in. Only the games of the elite group to be termed as test matches.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, as far as minnows are concerned. another thing I have thought of often is that an African side (minus SAfrica) call it whatever may be a better option than Zimbabwe. This would allow Kenyan cricketers to play better cricket and improve the quality of contest. If we can have Windies playing as a team why not the African (Central, Eastern, Northern) nations.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
5 test series should be abolished ideally. I may not have graspe it fully, but i dont think allowing teams to choose one single rival for 5 test series would work..

Aus would go for eng.
zim-Ban
Ind-Pak (?)
Nz-Sa (?)
WI-SL (?)

Personally, 4 test series should be the limit.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Googenheim said:
5 test series should be abolished ideally. I may not have graspe it fully, but i dont think allowing teams to choose one single rival for 5 test series would work..

Aus would go for eng.
zim-Ban
Ind-Pak (?)
Nz-Sa (?)
WI-SL (?)

Personally, 4 test series should be the limit.
Its a question of what can be sold in the ultimate analysis. If 5 test series cant be marketed it will die, how so ever much we may want it. As of today the only 5 test series that seem to attract crowds consistently are Ashes and Indo-Pak encounters. If there are no others, we might have only these two. If one or both of these die out in the long run, they to may get reduced to the three test version.

We dont HAVE TO HAVE a five test series for every one test side. I was suggesting restricting it to MAX one for any side. If they go for NIL, so be it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
SJS said:
By the way, as far as minnows are concerned. another thing I have thought of often is that an African side (minus SAfrica) call it whatever may be a better option than Zimbabwe. This would allow Kenyan cricketers to play better cricket and improve the quality of contest. If we can have Windies playing as a team why not the African (Central, Eastern, Northern) nations.
Its been suggested several times.

It simply wouldnt work though, due to the politics of the respective boards.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Prince EWS said:
Its been suggested several times.

It simply wouldnt work though, due to the politics of the respective boards.
Should be Europe, Asia, North America and Africa as four new Test nations. That'd be fun. :D

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
nightprowler10 said:
That will be the day I stop watching cricket.
I didn't mean as replacing the current ones. More like Holland, Denmark, Ireland and Scotland going together to make Europe, Nepal, UAE and Malaysia making up Asia, and so on.

Hey, it worked with the West Indies... :p

(not that the ICC would want the idea, of course, which may be what you meant :mellow: )

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Samuel_Vimes said:
I didn't mean as replacing the current ones. More like Holland, Denmark, Ireland and Scotland going together to make Europe, Nepal, UAE and Malaysia making up Asia, and so on.

Hey, it worked with the West Indies... :p

(not that the ICC would want the idea, of course, which may be what you meant :mellow: )
I thought you meant that all Asian teams would play as one instead of Pakistan, India, SL, Bangladesh, etc.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Personally, I think the standard of cricket warrants a five-Test series for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, and also India-Pakistan series.

archie mac

International Coach
LongHopCassidy said:
Personally, I think the standard of cricket warrants a five-Test series for the Border-Gavaskar Trophy, and also India-Pakistan series.
I could not care if it was Aust V the Bangas I would still rather a 5 Test series

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Speaking of which, how many 5-0 results have there been in Test history?

I can only think of two (Windies in Australia 2000-01 and Australia in England 1921)

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
LongHopCassidy said:
Speaking of which, how many 5-0 results have there been in Test history?

I can only think of two (Windies in Australia 2000-01 and Australia in England 1921)
5 Test Series:
Australia v England 1920/21 Australia
Australia v South Africa 1931/32 Australia
England v India 1959 England
West Indies v India 1961/62 West Indies
England v West Indies 1984 West Indies
West Indies v England 1985/86 West Indies
South Africa v West Indies 1998/99 South Africa
Australia v West Indies 2000/01 Australia

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
re:

And Glenn McGrath actually thought Australia could whitewash a team of England's quality this summer....prrrrmph