• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Nearly 400 injured in clash over umpiring

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh cricket

Cricinfo staff

December 3, 2005

Nearly 400 have been injured in a village in Bangladesh in a series of clashes over controversial umpiring decisions in a cricket match between two rural teams. At least one man is reported to have died while a dozen houses were torched in the scuffle.

Paramilitary Bangladesh Rifles and police fired gun shots and tear gas shells on Thursday to disperse a fighting mob from a village near Brahmanbaria district town, 100 km from Dhaka.

"More than 200 people were admitted to different hospitals with injuries," a police inspector was quoted as saying in a Reuters report. "The victim succumbed to stab injuries while being shifted to Dhaka for higher treatment." The rival villagers used guns, sticks and whatever weapons came to hand in sporadic clashes that began on Tuesday.

Delayed television footage showed hundreds of people carrying sticks and fighting on a newly harvested paddy ground at Sarail.The clashes continued through the day and night before the police and paramilitaries went into action in the village. "The situation is now under control," the inspector continued, "but scores of people were injured and huge properties were damaged."

© Cricinfo

ouch!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Its another illustration of how bad things can get when Bad Umpiring ruins a friendly sport that was thought of as the most Gentlemanly of all games at one time .

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
ClownSymonds said:
Well, good to see such enthusiasm for cricket in Bangladesh. Sad that there were so many casualties.
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Hahaha my god...

PY

International Coach
Is that the same logic that Aussies love to steeal things so they were bound to get their hands on the Ashes? :p

Mister Wright

PY said:
Is that the same logic that Aussies love to steeal things so they were bound to get their hands on the Ashes? :p
It can't be worse than refusing to give over something you haven't held for 20 years.

open365

International Vice-Captain
If this doesn't convice people that technology>umpires is true then i don't know what will.

The Baconator

open365 said:
If this doesn't convice people that technology>umpires is true then i don't know what will.
Maybe so, but even if the ICC does allow more technology to be used I doubt we'll see it being used in a village match in Bangladesh.

open365

The Baconator said:
Maybe so, but even if the ICC does allow more technology to be used I doubt we'll see it being used in a village match in Bangladesh.
ahhh,i see i forgot the sarcasm tags

seamer

Banned
age_master said:
Bangladesh cricket

Cricinfo staff

December 3, 2005

Nearly 400 have been injured in a village in Bangladesh in a series of clashes over controversial umpiring decisions in a cricket match between two rural teams. At least one man is reported to have died while a dozen houses were torched in the scuffle.

Paramilitary Bangladesh Rifles and police fired gun shots and tear gas shells on Thursday to disperse a fighting mob from a village near Brahmanbaria district town, 100 km from Dhaka.

"More than 200 people were admitted to different hospitals with injuries," a police inspector was quoted as saying in a Reuters report. "The victim succumbed to stab injuries while being shifted to Dhaka for higher treatment." The rival villagers used guns, sticks and whatever weapons came to hand in sporadic clashes that began on Tuesday.

Delayed television footage showed hundreds of people carrying sticks and fighting on a newly harvested paddy ground at Sarail.The clashes continued through the day and night before the police and paramilitaries went into action in the village. "The situation is now under control," the inspector continued, "but scores of people were injured and huge properties were damaged."

© Cricinfo

ouch!
So it was almost as bad as the England - Pakistan match then?

Scaly piscine

Mister Wright said:
It can't be worse than refusing to give over something you haven't held for 20 years.
Yea, we can't all be as generous as a country that unleashed Dame Edna Everage. Steve Irwin and Neighbours on the World.

Mister Wright

Scaly piscine said:
Yea, we can't all be as generous as a country that unleashed Dame Edna Everage. Steve Irwin and Neighbours on the World.
Hey, we unleashed them because they were no good here. Just because other parts of the world embraced them is not our fault.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Scaly piscine said:
Why do you English watch Neighbours though? There's an unusual love for Harold Bishop in England that worries me.