• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

how long did the Zimbabwe rebel players strike last for?

open365

International Vice-Captain
The one that was cause by Heath Streak being sacked,does anyone know how long it was for?

Chubb

International Regular
Basically, from just before the Sri Lanka series in April-May 2004. The players that originally joined it:
Streak, Ervine, Friend, Blignaut, Price, Gripper, Carlisle, Wishart, Sims, Ewing, Coventry, Rogers, Marillier, Grant Flower

At the time there were rumours that Douglas Hondo and Dion Ebrahim were going to join as well, but these proved to be wrong- although it is believed they wanted to and played under duress.

Just after the conclusion of the ODI series with Australia that followed the Sri Lanka series, Rogers, Coventry and Ewing, three of the younger players, took up contracts with Zimbabwe Cricket.

After the series in Bangladesh, Heath Streak said he would return. Soon after Blignaut joined him. After the South Africa series, Carlisle, Gripper and Wishart also returned. Marillier had returned to action for his province before this. This was seen as the end of the strike.

What happened to the other players?

G. Flower- Kolpak at Essex
R. Price- Kolpak at Worcs
T. Friend- was Kolpak at Derbys
S. Ervine- Kolpak at Hants
R. Sims- seems to have drifted out of the game, wouldn't be surprised if he was playing club cricket somewhere though.

So the rebellion lasted from April 2004 to around about February 2005.

open365

International Vice-Captain
^thanks a lot chubb,that helps a lot.

i've noticed you know a lot about Zim,did you used to live there?

Chubb

International Regular
open365 said:
^thanks a lot chubb,that helps a lot.

i've noticed you know a lot about Zim,did you used to live there?
No, I'm just unfortunately attached to losing sides. I liked the way Zimbabwe play the game, it's how I aspire to play cricket. Most of what I know about the players and stuff was gotten from Zimbabwe Cricket Online, which is what Cricinfo Zimbabwe used to be. It was a fantastic cricket site, run as an online magazine, but when Wisden merged with cricinfo they stopped running it, which was a damned shame. I think that the guy who used to run it is "Stephen Price", the pseudonym used these days by cricinfo's guy in Zimbabwe.