• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should the Black Caps do the haka?

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
I don't think they should even bother with them. Our national anthem is crap and most other countries aren't far behind IMO.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
National anthems before every Test would make me cry. Depending on whether it's a Thursday, it may also make me vomit.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If only they just sang the Maori part (and every verse, not just the first)
Exactly.

I love the Maori one, always feel more than a touch of disappointment when the English version follows it. Strongly tempted to sit down after the Maori one when I'm at sports events when it's sung tbh.

Would be interesting to see the Black Caps do the haka by the way, if only to see Lou Vincent do it. :laugh:

Corli

U19 Cricketer
I really don't think they should do the haka, for various reasons already mentioned...I'd like regular singing of anthems, though.

Except the South African national anthem. It's great imo.
The only problem is that, whoever sings the anthem, some part will be mispronounced. It's not very nice to hear your language being butchered in front of millions (even if they don't understand a word). There isn't an abundance of artists who are fluent in Xhosa, Sotho, Afrikaans and English, unfortunately.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well personally I think Jerusalem and LOHAG (I'll excuse your Kiwi innocence if such a thing exists) are top tunes, and I don't much like GSTQ.

And this from someone who is always, ALWAYS British and English only at the most insistent insistence.