• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Player To Score 10,000 Runs

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
I was just thinking about this. Of the current players, Inzamam, Dravid, and Ponting all need just over 2000 runs to get there. I think due to his age Inzy won't quite get there. So, it's really out of Dravid and Ponting I feel. They should both get there, but who first? Also, Kallis needs just over 2500 runs. He could beat them to it.

Discuss :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ponting cus Australia play more matches in general, but then again Dravid and Kallis might get more chances to bat twice.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Cant say in time since no idea who is playing how many games, when. They need ..

Imzy : 2045
Dravid : 2106
Ponting : 2062
Kallis : 2580

Ponting and Dravid will have it close as to how many games they will take from today to do it. I would back Dravid since...

Dravid has scored at just over 66 per innings during last four calendar years ! Its an amazing record. Over last six years he has averaged 63 per innings. His worst year in this period being 2001 when he averaged 46.5 !!

Ponting had a great year in 2005 but keeps having bad patches. Averaged 41 in 2004 and 38 in 2001. Of course, one could say that Dravid is "due" for a bad patch but with

Inzy too had a great year this time but last year was ordinary. He may find it increasingly difficult to keep up.

Kallis has had two fantastic years in succession but the gap between him and the others is not just 500 runs it is 20 %, that may beat him. :)

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Clearly its Gagan Khoda as he is the only player I can think of from Rajasthan! Or maybe Sanjeev Sharma. Left arm bowler who played for Rajasthan briefly and played international cricket ages ago.

James

Cricket Web Owner
An interesting poll on the frontpage around this as well guys:

Who will be the next to break Brian Lara's record for most runs (11,187) in Tests?

Sachin Tendulkar (10,134 runs)
[tally] 63%
Inzamam-ul-Haq (7,955 runs)
[tally] 13%
Ricky Ponting (7,679 runs)
[tally] 10%
Rahul Dravid (7,894 runs)
[tally] 4%
Jacques Kallis (7,420 runs)
[tally] 1%
Other
[tally] 9%

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Pratyush said:
Clearly its Gagan Khoda as he is the only player I can think of from Rajasthan! Or maybe Sanjeev Sharma. Left arm bowler who played for Rajasthan briefly and played international cricket ages ago.
Chris Read or Stuart MacGill as they're the only current Internationals to have played for Devon.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pratyush said:
Bob could have but USA is having so many problems right now and so away from test status.
Well with his trademark 'deffence like rahul dravid,' I'm sure he could

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
andyc said:
Well with his trademark 'deffence like rahul dravid,' I'm sure he could
And maybe with his "off spin like vettori" he can become leading all-time wicket taker. Watch out Warnie!

Steulen

International Regular
I'm going for Kallis as the next to 10,000. The man is a machine.

Evil prediction: not only will Tendulkar never become leading Test run scorer, he will not even score enough runs to beat Lara's current tally. If you think this puts me in the "Tendulkar's past it" camp, you're absolutely correct.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Even if he's past his best, he'll play on long enough to get those runs. He doesn't have to play like he did in the 90s to get how many runs he needs to pass Lara's record. He had an inconsistent 2004 and still racked up 915 runs including a double hundred and a century or two. The only thing that will stop Sachin is injury, if Lara continues going on till he's 40, or if India decide to idiotically only play 5 tests in a year again like in 2003.

Last edited:

open365

International Vice-Captain
Out of the current contenders,Ponting is ahead of everyone. Dravid is close but i just don't see him making it.