• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next Player To Score 10,000 Runs

Fusion

Global Moderator
open365 said:
Out of the current contenders,Ponting is ahead of everyone. Dravid is close but i just don't see him making it.

how come? Dravid has more runs, from fewer games, and at a better average. And there's only a year difference in their ages. Do you think Dravid's play will slide? Don't get me wrong, I think Pointing has a great shot at it as well, but I don't see how you can disregard Dravid.

cricketboy29

International Regular
Dravid all the way for me, he just looks on red hot form right now, and its continuing for quite a time now.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Fusion said:
how come? Dravid has more runs, from fewer games, and at a better average. And there's only a year difference in their ages. Do you think Dravid's play will slide? Don't get me wrong, I think Pointing has a great shot at it as well, but I don't see how you can disregard Dravid.
tbh,i'm not really that sure. my opinion is probably based on the fact that i've seen a helluva lot more of Ponting than i have of Dravid.
Its just my gut instinct that Ponting will get there and before Dravid does,not entirely sure why but they're you go.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
What about old age?
You're either implying that his batting drops because of his age, or he retires fairly soon. Even if his batting does drop quite drastically, he's currently 32 years old and 1070 runs behind Lara. Say Lara goes on to the World Cup and plays till he's 38. I just don't see how age is going to stop Tendulkar. He doesn't need to average 50+ every year to break the record.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
Sachin needs to improve his game to make those runs count. He'll get there no doubt, but hes past his prime. The way hes playing now, a 1000 runs with this sort of game wouldnt be as satisfying as any set of 1000 runs scored in his prime.

Dravid and Ponting should get there easily ( 10,000 i mean)... whether they manage to set the record for highest scorer remains to be seen, because Sachin might be past it, but hes not that past it that he cant beat them still.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think people forget that Lara went through a similar slump at the same stage of his career (age wise). Just like Lara came back so will Tendulkar, anyone who even thinks about writing off Tendulkar will have a lot of egg on their face at the end of his career.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
chaminda_00 said:
I think people forget that Lara went through a similar slump at the same stage of his career (age wise). Just like Lara came back so will Tendulkar, anyone who even thinks about writing off Tendulkar will have a lot of egg on their face at the end of his career.
Except that theres no reason to dismiss this stage of Sachins career as just a slump. One could believe that, but cannot argue in favour of it without resorting to conjectures.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Googenheim said:
Except that theres no reason to dismiss this stage of Sachins career as just a slump. One could believe that, but cannot argue in favour of it without resorting to conjectures.
Yes you could, last time i checked he still score 915 runs in 2004, pretty good for a guy who apparently past it. He might not be performing at his all time best, but his not past it and just going through a slight slump.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
You're either implying that his batting drops because of his age, or he retires fairly soon. Even if his batting does drop quite drastically, he's currently 32 years old and 1070 runs behind Lara. Say Lara goes on to the World Cup and plays till he's 38. I just don't see how age is going to stop Tendulkar. He doesn't need to average 50+ every year to break the record.
The thing about SRT is although he's 32 in age, he's been playing since he was 16 - a 16 year International career is very unusual in the current climate, hence IMO the 32 being a little bit misleading.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
marc71178 said:
The thing about SRT is although he's 32 in age, he's been playing since he was 16 - a 16 year International career is very unusual in the current climate, hence IMO the 32 being a little bit misleading.
True, but once again he doesn't need to light the world on fire and play like he did in the 90s to break Lara's record (if Lara retires fairly soon, i.e 2 years). Logically, even if he averages 35 for the next few seasons due to him slowing down after 16 years of cricket, I very much doubt he'll retire before he's 35. Say 750 runs in each year, or if he has a year like 2004 where he's not playing excellently but scoring every now and then, allowing him to score 900+, that record is pretty much his.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Well if Lara plays on till he's 40 he'll probably keep the record to himself. If he plays anything like he has done in 04/05, or even just drops off a bit, you'd think he'd always be too far ahead for Sachin, and I can't see Ponting, Dravid or Kallis getting it either.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
What about Smith? It's probably too early to make predictions, but he's already so good, and has such a long way to go. He just might end up beating the record by some margin 10 years down the road.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
next player to reach 10000 - i think would be dravid, the most consistent test player in the world over the past few years....

barring injuries, tendulkar will break lara's record provided lara doesn't bat his way into his 40s in the same rich vein of form he has been showing recently...

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
ClownSymonds said:
What about Smith? It's probably too early to make predictions, but he's already so good, and has such a long way to go. He just might end up beating the record by some margin 10 years down the road.
Sharp brain mate...

I agree, Smith would most probably end up as a flashier version of Allan Border, leading his team for a decade and being among the top 5 of the his past decade by the time he hangs up...he'll go on and on..

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Lara versus Sachin - what's been happening ?

Here is an interesting comparison of the race between these two giants of our times.
  • Sachin started earlier in 1989. Lara played just one test in 1990, none 9n 91 and 3 in 92. Thus Sachin got a head start.
  • Lara caught up and led by about 500 runs (3048 vs 2483) by the end of calendar 95. But was one behind on centuries (7 vs 8)
  • They ran neck to neck till end of calendar 2001 with achin leading by less than 200 runs. However he had by now scored 27 hundreds against Lara's 18. Clearly Lara was keeping up by making his bigger hundreds count.
  • Then Sachin had a very good year in 2002 scoring nearly 1400 runs while Brian scored one-fourth at 351. Sachin led by what seemed like an uncatch-able 31 to 18 lead in centuries.
  • Then, all of a sudden, Tendulkar dropped out of the race. He just stopped running. In nearly three years that will elapse with the end of the current month, Sachin has scored
    - just 3 centuries to Lara's 13 !!​
    - 1323 runs to Lara's 3632 !!​

Three years is a long time for most people. SRT may wake up earlier than the proverbial hare and join the race again but time is running out.

Whatever his devotees may feel (Pratyush and my younger son included) this is very worrisome indeed. I hope he will get back not just for his own sake, not just for his fans but for the game at large for another four years of Sachin at a reasonable level for his age wil be something posterity will cherish.

Its not for the race that I write this. Thats immaterial as far as I am concerned. I have used the careers of the two just to illustrate, graphically, whats ben happening to Sachin which cant be explained away by emotional responses as displayed by my good friend Pratyush's signature. :p[

Attachments

Last edited: