Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should cricketers be able to....?

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend andyc's Avatar
    Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion!
    I've thought about this a bit in the past myself and it is interesting. In the outfield there's no real point in doing it but fielding in close it'd obviously be a big advantage. I think it will happen sooner or later
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Only a bunch of convicts having been beaten 3-0 and gone 9 tests without a win and won just 1 in 11 against England could go into the home series saying they will win. England will win in Australia again this winter as they are a better side which they have shown this summer. 3-0 doesn't lie girls.

cricket players who bowl and bat with different hands (Oram n Clarke) must be pretty good with both hands.
    50 cent is only half the dollar he could be
    MSN is warriors_fan@hotmail.com
    Manchester United, The All Blacks, The Black Caps and The Sydney Roosters All rock

Deja Moo's avater gives me nightmares

You guys should check out this book I'm reading at the moment, Best Of The Best by Charles Davis.

Amogst other stuff, he analyses how which arm you throw with affects your batting etc. Fascinating stuff

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    To be honest I don't think it'll be too long before some bright spark in a youth team somewhere starts teaching his kids to throw both-handed, and then watches as they notch up ten run-outs in an innings before the opposition realises they're all crack fielders. Eventually people'll cotton on - this is the one major department into which the modern game has yet to expand. There are very few technical directions in which the arts of bowling or batting could branch off, but the art of fielding could branch off into any number of directions. I can see a time 50 years in the future when international teams' worst fielders are as good as Collingwood is now - and I consider him the world's best fielder, having seen him field up close and do things that don't even look possible.
    We have enough trouble getting them to throw with one hand.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Inzamam can, I think.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Matteh's Avatar
    Boredmeeting Champion!
    I certainly can't throw far with my left hand - i just end up doing a girly throw - pretty sure that a left underarm throw isn't that different to a right handed one....

I've attempted to bowl left handed in a practice(it's Ashley Giles making me want to bowl SLA)....first ball was surprisingly accurate and then the second was about 15 foot away so i gave up....
    Quote Originally Posted by cpr View Post
    3. Although Cow Tipping is a hilarious student game in backwater towns such as Bangor, there really is no need for Mitchell to cover one side of the cow in superglue

Quote Originally Posted by Matteh
    I've attempted to bowl left handed in a practice(it's Ashley Giles making me want to bowl SLA)....first ball was surprisingly accurate and then the second was about 15 foot away so i gave up....
    Same thing happens when Ashley bowls, except the 15 foot is the difference in length.
    World Scrabble Champion 2014. National Scrabble Champion 2009, 2015.
    Author of Word Addict
    Countdown Series 57 Champion
    King of the Arcade
    ECB - you are a complete ****ing disgrace, #FTECB

Quote Originally Posted by Lyell_Chris
    cricket players who bowl and bat with different hands (Oram n Clarke) must be pretty good with both hands.
    as left handed bowler and fielder and right handed fielders I say...to a degree. i can throw with my right hand although no extream pace i can be fairly accurate...but though getting it in my other hand is faster I reckon as i have waay more pace in the throw.
    P.S. We beat England at Lord's
    Member of the RTDAS.
    Member of the ESAS - Edgar Schiferli Appreciation Society
    President of the DNAS - Dirk Nannes Appreciation Society
    Member of the CW Colts!

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    I think it's really disappointing of her - would only take a minute or two of her time....
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    Wishful thinking on your behalf.

PY
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    Totally diff sport, but didn't Ronnie O'Sullivan once beat Tony Drago (IIRC) playing left-handed? I don't think Drago (if it was him) was too happy & said it didn't pay him the proper respect. I think The Rocket was actually just taking the Mickey Bliss!
    Yeah, it happened a few years back when the playing with either hand thing was seen as not showing your opponent respect.

Several commentators have mentioned they believe O'Sullivan would be a top 16 player if he became left-handed all the time.

Now that is talent...
    A True Champion - Bob. Rest in peace. 15/04/06
    "People today have too big a devil and too small a God"

- Stephen Currie

"The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?" Psalm 27:1

Anyone think of another major improvement fielders could implement?

Other than just being quicker, more agile and more powerful.

Generally, most young cricketers don't throw all that well at first anyways. The blueprint for fielding is really being set by baseball (see Mike Young and how in demand he is). And baseballers don't really bother using both hands - you're better off trying to perfect one than being OK with both. It's more about fielder placement, and what hand fielder you have in what position, that can make the ability to throw both hands less important.

It's something that could be handy, but in the end, it's a lot of effort for minimal pay off, and the "opportunity cost" is pretty large - you could increase the potency of your natural hand much more in the period that you spend getting your non-preferred side up to a decent level.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Generally, most young cricketers don't throw all that well at first anyways. The blueprint for fielding is really being set by baseball (see Mike Young and how in demand he is). And baseballers don't really bother using both hands - you're better off trying to perfect one than being OK with both. It's more about fielder placement, and what hand fielder you have in what position, that can make the ability to throw both hands less important.

It's something that could be handy, but in the end, it's a lot of effort for minimal pay off, and the "opportunity cost" is pretty large - you could increase the potency of your natural hand much more in the period that you spend getting your non-preferred side up to a decent level.
    Of course baseballers don't bother throwing using both hands, they've got a bucket attached to the end of their weaker arm when they're fielding. The idea is to get to a point where you can let go of the ball fairly quickly with a flat throw, it would end up being more of a deterrent than anything, just as getting a reputation as a good fielder means you rarely get risks taken against you.

Quote Originally Posted by Scaly piscine
    Of course baseballers don't bother throwing using both hands, they've got a bucket attached to the end of their weaker arm when they're fielding.
    Haha, how daft by me!
    The idea is to get to a point where you can let go of the ball fairly quickly with a flat throw, it would end up being more of a deterrent than anything, just as getting a reputation as a good fielder means you rarely get risks taken against you.
    Look at someone like Ian Harvey - he could throw the ball with no discerning difference in pace (there was difference in accuracy) with both hands, yet always chose to throw it with his natural hand. Batsmen are more concerned about a direct hit (which unless there is a mix up, most run-outs need to be) than an extra half second for a mediocre throw from someone's wrong hand.

Breakout Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lyell_Chris
    But you bat with both hands.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Look at someone like Ian Harvey - he could throw the ball with no discerning difference in pace (there was difference in accuracy) with both hands, yet always chose to throw it with his natural hand. Batsmen are more concerned about a direct hit (which unless there is a mix up, most run-outs need to be) than an extra half second for a mediocre throw from someone's wrong hand.
    I can't say I've followed the career of Harvey, so I wouldn't know about him. Not sure whether you're actually agreeing with me in that last sentence, or unintentionally agreeing or what. Regardless a batsman won't take a run if they believe a direct hit would be curtains - regardless of whether it's Gary Pratt or Blind Pew doing the throwing with their respective chances of hitting the stumps.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information