• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gamble selections.......

Craig

World Traveller
...................... that have paid off? For this I mean cricketers who were picked from nowhereville or weren't household names yet have been success at Test or ODI level, or both?

An example I mean is Dan Vettori who got picked for New Zealand despite playing two first glass games. Alf Valentine and Sonny Ramdhin (sp right?) hadn't played a FC match yet impressed in trails for the West Indies squad to England in the 50's and were picked. They did more then alright in their careers.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Prince EWS said:
Marcus Trescothick springs to mind.
Exactly what I was about to say. I'd also say the gamble paid off, big time. As did Simon Jones, and half the rest of the England side.

tassietiger

U19 Debutant
Shane Warne.

Someone said before his first game "I don't know why they're playing this guy, he's just an average club standard spinner."

simmy

International Regular
The entire England cricket team...

Vaughan and Tres were terrific call ups as both had measly FC averages before being called up.

Fletcher has an incredible knack for finding players. However, picking Udal was a little disappointing. Loudon would be a huge gamble to play in India...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
To some Indian fans who might know, how much FC cricket had Pathan played before he debuted in the Adelaide test against Australia in 2003?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
David Steele anyone? Think he had an FC average of about 31 when he was selected to face the rampaging Lillian Thomson in 1975. Ended up as BBC Sports Personality of the year!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ramnaresh Sarwan.
Hamish Marshall - in Tests at least.

Failed gambles (thus far):

Fidel Edwards.
Dwayne Smith.
Marlon Samuels.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
Hamish Marshall - in Tests at least.
Most of the nation if u asked who should be put n the team said on of the marshalls. It wasnt really that much of a gamble from a Kiwi point of view. Everyone thought he a was a very solid classy player.

Shane Bond was only a very average player fighting for a place in his state side.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tamara said:
Most of the nation if u asked who should be put n the team said on of the marshalls. It wasnt really that much of a gamble from a Kiwi point of view. Everyone thought he a was a very solid classy player.

Shane Bond was only a very average player fighting for a place in his state side.
There can't be that many exceptional players in New Zealand then, if a mid20s average is the stuff of a solid classy player. What does that make the likes of Ryder and Fulton then?

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
There can't be that many exceptional players in New Zealand then, if a mid20s average is the stuff of a solid classy player. What does that make the likes of Ryder and Fulton then?
I know one of the NZ Selectors and he says th average is hardly every considered. Hamish has really good NZ A tours and always was abig game riser. He struggled with the NZ first class pitches.

Fulton averages 49 over 50 matches however if u take out his 300 not out and the 220 not out then the average doesnt look so bright. Good player and one for the future but cant see him pushing out anyone in a hurry

Jesse has only played 19 matches averaging 44. Everyone knows he has the ablity but not the passion or want to do it.