• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Where does Lara rate?

ohtani's jacket

State Vice-Captain
Now that Lara has:

A) Scored more runs than any other player in Test history
B) Scored more double centuries than any player save Bradman, and
C) Holds the record for highest scores in Test and First Class cricket

Can a claim be made that he's the second greatest batsman of all time, or am I just overreacting to Lara rising to the occasion?

greg

International Debutant
I think so (second greatest batsman). Look at the tiny contribution that notouts have had to his average as well.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
*Shrugs*

I consider him the best batsmen I have ever seen, slightly ahead of Tendulkar.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I hope Lara plays on till the World Cup. I plan on going to the Carribean for it, so being able to see hime one more time would be great.

In terms of the best I've seen live... Lara, Sachin and S. Waugh are the 3 best. Add Dravid, Ponting and Kallis to more modern times. From what I've read and the highlights in recent times, Greg Chappell and Viv were also up there. I choose not to comment pre-70s due to a sheer lack of knowledge, other than obviously Sobers, Hobbs and Bradman.

Last edited:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Lara is the best of my time watching cricket, ahead of Steve Waugh, Dravid, Tendulkar and Ponting.

All time, I'd rate him among the best ever, though maybe behind Sobers, Hobbs, Chappell and Viv. Fair claim to be in the top 5, definately in the top 10.

Slifer

International Captain
I would rate Lara as second best of his generation (after SRT). And at the very least top ten. also IMHO i think he is still battling IVA and Sobers as best WI batsman!!!

Slifer

International Captain
Self-centered dont know. Arrogant probably and y not? HE has all right to be arrogant!!

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
I think he sets himself apart from Tendulkar and all others in his ability to score MAMMOTH scores in addition to his other brilliant knocks.

To hit test scores of 400 and 375 and then a first class 501 - there's nobody close to even matching that.

He's past his best now but look at how he can dominate a team innings and make it look effortless and normal.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As far as tests are concerned, I think Lara is the best I have ever seen. Sachin is close, but really, Lara has the edge over him, AFAIC. But in ODIs, esp. over the last couple of years, Lara seems to have lost it.

ashes winners

Cricket Spectator
Amazing player and deserves to be mentioned with the best.As for how good he is there are too many great players to choose from,you could watch Lara one day and then see Tendulkar the next and find it difficult to seperate them.
Now going to remove splinters from my bum.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Hard to know whether to rank him as number two ever. I'd have him above Viv in the West Indian pantheon though.

Best I've seen in my time watching cricket, anyhow.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Slow Love™ said:
Hard to know whether to rank him as number two ever. I'd have him above Viv in the West Indian pantheon though.

Best I've seen in my time watching cricket, anyhow.
Viv is undoubtedly the best that Ive seen but Lara is a genius with an appetite for mammoth scores once he's set (on tv today, they stated that his average for scores over 100 is 192).