• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell fingering fans

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
He showed the middle finger to fans and is captured in video. Indians can watch it in Aaj Tak channel.

Very poor.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Oh brother...I saw it on Aaj Tak....and they actually highlighted that hand...and the TEAM INDIA sign. Disgusting.

Slow Love™

International Captain
LOL. Unfortunate thread title.

I'm presuming the Indian fans were giving him the obligatory jeering after they went down by 10 wickets...

Fusion

Global Moderator
So is this incident likely to escalate into a major controversy or just water under the bridge?

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Chappell has unfortunately got carried away and knowing how angry some sections of the Indian Media may try to beat this up, I hope he can weather this and survive it .

Very disappointing from Chappell, of all people.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Greg Chappell has crashed to the depths in the estimation of cricketing fans. Nothing he or Team India do from here onwards can undo the damage to his personal esteem. I was transfixed in horror as I saw it on TV after landing in Delhi last night and kept watching it again and again till late into the night. It was horrible.

If anyone thought Chappell couldn't do worse, in the same lifetime, than asking his younger brother to bowl underarm, he showed them how wrong they were. You have to watch the sequence to realise how terrible it looks.

The team were boarding the bus as the crowds stood booing. Chappel climbed in and just on climbing the last step, turned a bit to his right, held up his right hand out of the window to his right pointing to the fans outside with his palm facing upwards, all fingers folded except the middle one.

Lets see what the BCCI does for this act of indiscipline. Or ICC for that matter. Is ICC concerned with behaviour of players and officials towards fans, spectators and media when off the field ?

- a disgusted former admirer​

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
Yeah.. agreed Buddhmaster, not that big a deal and certainly not worse than the underarm incident as SJS suggested.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Voltman said:
Greg Chappell is John Hopoate and I claim my proctology bill.
I'll take a bet that John "fingers" Hopoate will play NRL for either Manly or some other club next year again !! :D :D

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Blaze said:
Yeah.. agreed Buddhmaster, not that big a deal and certainly not worse than the underarm incident as SJS suggested.
I think in Australia or NZ it wouldn't be that serious.

But You are missing the context guys. Indians or us subcontinentals (Lankans or Pakistanis) are not used to showing the finger signal to others.

This signal is considered extremely rude and Vulgar in the Subcontinent. :D :D

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Blaze said:
Cheeky little Andrew Mehrtens was heralded for his double bird-flip in a Super 12 game. Although that was against South Africans, so it was totally understandable. :D