• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell fingering fans

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Prince EWS said:
If you want someone to respected under the eyes of Indian culture, then you should pick an Indian coach.

They appointed Chappell because they thought they had the most chance of improving under him, not because they thought he would be a PR man or because they thought his actions would be viewed in good light by Indian culture. They appointed an Australian coach, and he is going to act Australian.
...and that's not only a sign of someone who has no respect for a culture, but is incredibly arrogant as well.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Prince EWS said:
If you want someone to respected under the eyes of Indian culture, then you should pick an Indian coach.
If we leave aside cricket part for a second, you are justifying actions any person does disrespectful of another culture jwhen he comes in contact with another person just because he happens to do a job in a specific country or comes in interaction with people of a specific culture.

Shounak

Banned
parttimer said:
Well maybe the Kolkatans shouldn't have burned an effigy of him, that might have offended HIS 'cultural sensitivities'.
Everyone knows what the Indian crowds can be like, especially towards an important person like the Coach of the national team..

Ganguly also had effigies burnt and he's been jeered at on many occasions. Does he respond by flipping the bird? HELL NO..

It's professionalism.

Cricketers (including coaches) need to be thick skinned. Skin that isn't as thich as kevlar just doesn't cut it when you're in India. GC's an experienced fellow and SHOULD have known better. He made a mistake and should apologise, if not punished..

Last edited:

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
shounak said:
Everyone knows what the Indian crowds can be like, especially towards an important person like the Coach of the national team..

Ganguly also had effigies burnt and he's been jeered at on many occasions. Does he respond by flipping the bird? HELL NO..

It's professionalism.

Cricketers (including coaches) need to be thick skinned. Skin that isn't as thich as kevlar just doesn't cut it when you're in India. GC's an experienced fellow and SHOULD have known better. He made a mistake and should apologise, if not punished..
I'd agree with that, i'm just sick of this 'cultural sensitivity' rubbish.

Shounak

Banned
parttimer said:
I'd agree with that, i'm just sick of this 'cultural sensitivity' rubbish.
Must say, I also agree with that. Flipping the bird in India is just as bad as flipping it in Australia..

I doubt an Indian crowd would be much more offended then an Australian one..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
If we leave aside cricket part for a second, you are justifying actions any person does disrespectful of another culture jwhen he comes in contact with another person just because he happens to do a job in a specific country or comes in interaction with people of a specific culture.
Im simply defending his actions based on the fact that he was not hired to live by Indian culture.

greg

International Debutant
shounak said:

It's professionalism.

Has anybody mentioned Inzamam's proportionate response to being called a fat elephant yet?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
shounak said:
Must say, I also agree with that. Flipping the bird in India is just as bad as flipping it in Australia..

I doubt an Indian crowd would be much more offended then an Australian one..
In that case, I stand by my "get over it" statement.

Shounak

Banned
greg said:
Has anybody mentioned Inzamam's proportionate response to being called a fat elephant yet?
It was simply Potato.. Aaloo..

Yes it was crazy.. But what has it got to do with anything?

Dasa

Prince EWS said:
In that case, I stand by my "get over it" statement.
So you choose to believe ONE person over several others who disagree??

..and to anyone who says they're "sick of this cultural insensivity" - then just answer this, would you be pleased if someone was to go to your country and do something that offends the vast majority of the population? Would you be defending this person? Believe it or not, there ARE cultural differences and despite what anyone may think, one culture is not superior to another.

Shounak

Banned
Dasa said:
So you choose to believe ONE person over several others who disagree??

..and to anyone who says they're "sick of this cultural insensivity" - then just answer this, would you be pleased if someone was to go to your country and do something that offends the vast majority of the population? Would you be defending this person? Believe it or not, there ARE cultural differences and despite what anyone may think, one culture is not superior to another.
How is the bird more offensive in India then it is in Australia.. I'm 19 years old and despite being born in Australia have been going back to India every 3 years for minimum of a month.. I'd say I'd know quite a bit about Indian culture..

I truly fail to see how the bird is more offensive in India then Australia.. If anything, more people know what it is and what it implies in Aust then India..

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Prince EWS said:
Im simply defending his actions based on the fact that he was not hired to live by Indian culture.
Being hired to do a job has no relation to being insensitive to people of a specific culture - whichever it is.

Coming to the job - one should understand whatever else comes along with a job. If some one does not he is likely to get into unnecessary controversies.

greg

International Debutant
shounak said:
How is the bird more offensive in India then it is in Australia.. I'm 19 years old and despite being born in Australia have been going back to India every 3 years for minimum of a month.. I'd say I'd know quite a bit about Indian culture..

I truly fail to see how the bird is more offensive in India then Australia.. If anything, more people know what it is and what it implies in Aust then India..
If it was really as offensive to Indian culture as some contributors are making out Chappell would have been sacked by now. The fact that he hasn't suggests that maybe this has more to do with their dislike of Chappell than anything else.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
I wouldn't be pleased if someone offended the nation no. But I'd take into account whatever it was that drove the person to do so, and see that it was not that uncalled for or that unpredictable.

Who said anthing about one culture being superior to another. Stop putting words in my mouth.

Dasa

parttimer said:
Who said anthing about one culture being superior to another. Stop putting words in my mouth.
Well your implication with "I'd agree with that, i'm just sick of this 'cultural sensitivity' rubbish." was seemed to be that. If it wasn't, I apologise.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
greg said:
If it was really as offensive to Indian culture as some contributors are making out..
That is a matter which can be discussed.

Some arguements however are defending being culturally insensitive. :sleep: