Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 129

Thread: Chappell fingering fans

  1. #31
    pug
    pug is offline
    U19 Vice-Captain
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    544
    Quote Originally Posted by sqwerty
    If you don't want to be fingered now and again......don't get an Australian coach.
    Now thats a classic.

  2. #32
    Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    62,896
    Quote Originally Posted by Slats4ever
    meh this sorta stuff goes on at our games on the weekend. cut the guy some slack
    Is it any wonder so many people don't like the Australian team then?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

    Anyone want to join the Society?

    Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

  3. #33
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    478
    The Team has just won 6-1 v Lanka and beat a team that'd won 19 str8. You can't call yourself a fan if your not happy with that. And yet their burning effigies of the guy in the street, booing their own team and cheering on SA when Ind was getting smacked around. You can't call these pple proper fans.

    He prob shouldn't have done it tho

  4. #34
    State 12th Man
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    India
    Posts
    752
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Greg Chappell has crashed to the depths in the estimation of cricketing fans. Nothing he or Team India do from here onwards can undo the damage to his personal esteem. I was transfixed in horror as I saw it on TV after landing in Delhi last night and kept watching it again and again till late into the night. It was horrible.

    If anyone thought Chappell couldn't do worse, in the same lifetime, than asking his younger brother to bowl underarm, he showed them how wrong they were. You have to watch the sequence to realise how terrible it looks.

    The team were boarding the bus as the crowds stood booing. Chappel climbed in and just on climbing the last step, turned a bit to his right, held up his right hand out of the window to his right pointing to the fans outside with his palm facing upwards, all fingers folded except the middle one.

    Lets see what the BCCI does for this act of indiscipline. Or ICC for that matter. Is ICC concerned with behaviour of players and officials towards fans, spectators and media when off the field ?

    - a disgusted former admirer

    Massive overreaction.


  5. #35
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by Isolator
    Massive overreaction.
    No, massive cultural ignorance from the part of many here. Chappell is coaching India, not Australia. As such,his actions will be viewed from an Indian cultural perspective.
    I am sure if someone impressed their cultural values on you ( say comes from a sexually conservative culture and called most aussie women to be whores) you wouldnt take that as an insignificant comment.

  6. #36
    State Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Greg Chappell has crashed to the depths in the estimation of cricketing fans. Nothing he or Team India do from here onwards can undo the damage to his personal esteem. I was transfixed in horror as I saw it on TV after landing in Delhi last night and kept watching it again and again till late into the night. It was horrible.


    - a disgusted former admirer
    Not much else on the telly?

  7. #37
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by marc71178
    Is it any wonder so many people don't like the Australian team then?
    I wouldn't say too many are enamoured with England right now

  8. #38
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Some people are showing a great deal of cultural insensitivity in this thread...what some must realise is that a gesture that is harmless in one culture means a great deal in another...so comments like "get over it" are just ignorant IMO.

  9. #39
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    478
    Well maybe the Kolkatans shouldn't have burned an effigy of him, that might have offended HIS 'cultural sensitivities'.

  10. #40
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Cribbertopia
    Posts
    56,550
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C
    No, massive cultural ignorance from the part of many here. Chappell is coaching India, not Australia. As such,his actions will be viewed from an Indian cultural perspective.
    I am sure if someone impressed their cultural values on you ( say comes from a sexually conservative culture and called most aussie women to be whores) you wouldnt take that as an insignificant comment.
    If you want someone to respected under the eyes of Indian culture, then you should pick an Indian coach.

    They appointed Chappell because they thought they had the most chance of improving under him, not because they thought he would be a PR man or because they thought his actions would be viewed in good light by Indian culture. They appointed an Australian coach, and he is going to act Australian.
    Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since Dec '09
    'Stats' is not a synonym for 'Career Test Averages'


    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Tucker
    Someone asked me the other day if I believe in conspiracies. Well, sure. Here's one. It is called the political system. It is nothing if not a giant conspiracy to rob, trick and subjugate the population.
    Before replying to TJB, always remember:
    Quote Originally Posted by TheJediBrah View Post
    Next week I'll probably be arguing the opposite

  11. #41
    International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    4,955
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS
    If you want someone to respected under the eyes of Indian culture, then you should pick an Indian coach.

    They appointed Chappell because they thought they had the most chance of improving under him, not because they thought he would be a PR man or because they thought his actions would be viewed in good light by Indian culture. They appointed an Australian coach, and he is going to act Australian.
    ...and that's not only a sign of someone who has no respect for a culture, but is incredibly arrogant as well.

  12. #42
    International Coach
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    13,718
    Quote Originally Posted by parttimer
    I wouldn't say too many are enamoured with England right now
    They enjoy watching us play, they just don't like Ian Bell at the moment (and quite rightly).
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

    R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

  13. #43
    Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata
    Posts
    29,957
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince EWS
    If you want someone to respected under the eyes of Indian culture, then you should pick an Indian coach.
    If we leave aside cricket part for a second, you are justifying actions any person does disrespectful of another culture jwhen he comes in contact with another person just because he happens to do a job in a specific country or comes in interaction with people of a specific culture.

  14. #44
    Banned Shounak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by parttimer
    Well maybe the Kolkatans shouldn't have burned an effigy of him, that might have offended HIS 'cultural sensitivities'.
    Everyone knows what the Indian crowds can be like, especially towards an important person like the Coach of the national team..

    Ganguly also had effigies burnt and he's been jeered at on many occasions. Does he respond by flipping the bird? HELL NO..

    It's professionalism.

    Cricketers (including coaches) need to be thick skinned. Skin that isn't as thich as kevlar just doesn't cut it when you're in India. GC's an experienced fellow and SHOULD have known better. He made a mistake and should apologise, if not punished..
    Last edited by Shounak; 26-11-2005 at 07:05 AM.

  15. #45
    U19 Cricketer
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    SYDNEY
    Posts
    478
    Quote Originally Posted by shounak
    Everyone knows what the Indian crowds can be like, especially towards an important person like the Coach of the national team..

    Ganguly also had effigies burnt and he's been jeered at on many occasions. Does he respond by flipping the bird? HELL NO..

    It's professionalism.

    Cricketers (including coaches) need to be thick skinned. Skin that isn't as thich as kevlar just doesn't cut it when you're in India. GC's an experienced fellow and SHOULD have known better. He made a mistake and should apologise, if not punished..
    I'd agree with that, i'm just sick of this 'cultural sensitivity' rubbish.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Isn't Saurav Ganguly such a lovable character ?
    By DaBombayDuck in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 70
    Last Post: 31-10-2005, 11:49 AM
  2. Chappell Wants Ganguly Out - Emails BCCI.
    By Sanz in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: 27-09-2005, 10:58 PM
  3. Ganguly: once a hero, now an embarrassment ...
    By adharcric in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 106
    Last Post: 23-09-2005, 09:19 AM
  4. Murali's Australian Fans
    By DT8 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 22-11-2004, 10:29 AM
  5. Indian fans outraged !!
    By Trescothin in forum World Cup 2003
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16-02-2003, 01:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •