• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chappell fingering fans

masterblaster

International Captain
andyc said:
Who cares?
Yeah, seconded.

Even though I'm an Indian fan, but I still have to say the overreactions in this thread have been alarming. It's just a gesture, life's too short to worry about these things. Get over it.

SJS said:
Lets see what the BCCI does for this act of indiscipline. Or ICC for that matter. Is ICC concerned with behaviour of players and officials towards fans, spectators and media when off the field ?
Players..yes, official... no. Or atleast i have no knowledge of ICC ever taking an action against any official before.

What Chappel did was very unfortunate , however i'm keen to know as to what made him react in such a manner?? Chappel will have to adjust to Indian enviroment fast, in India when the team doesn't do well, the public often react very strongly to it.However, whatever the situation, the players and officials are expected to maintain their cool.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
GladiatrsInBlue said:
Players..yes, official... no. Or atleast i have no knowledge of ICC ever taking an action against any official before.

What Chappel did was very unfortunate , however i'm keen to know as to what made him react in such a manner?? Chappel will have to adjust to Indian enviroment fast, in India when the team doesn't do well, the public often react very strongly to it.However, whatever the situation, the players and officials are expected to maintain their cool.
How can they call themselves fans if they were booing the national team?

andyc said:
How can they call themselves fans if they were booing the national team?
Yes thats true and very unfortunate, however i must say that booing is nothing as what have been happening over here over the years.Ppl protesting by buring the portraits of fans on road(happened during early part of last WC when India wasn't doing welll) and even stoning the players on field!!

Its a shame that such idiots can't be disciplined!

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
If you don't want to be fingered now and again......don't get an Australian coach. :thumbsup: :thumbup1: :thumbup: :punk:

Last edited:

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
I just posted in the India-SAF thread without noticing this one.

Showing the middle finger? Come on, its as normal a way of venting your frustration as any. I think the people's reaction to it is whats blown out of proportion. And I hope nobody gives the excuse, "But we're indians and not used to it". Bullcrap... in almost every delhi school, you'll find kids doing it from before standard 6th (thats 12 yrs). And I'm sure its not just in delhi.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
The Team has just won 6-1 v Lanka and beat a team that'd won 19 str8. You can't call yourself a fan if your not happy with that. And yet their burning effigies of the guy in the street, booing their own team and cheering on SA when Ind was getting smacked around. You can't call these pple proper fans.

He prob shouldn't have done it tho :D

Isolator

State 12th Man
SJS said:
Greg Chappell has crashed to the depths in the estimation of cricketing fans. Nothing he or Team India do from here onwards can undo the damage to his personal esteem. I was transfixed in horror as I saw it on TV after landing in Delhi last night and kept watching it again and again till late into the night. It was horrible.

If anyone thought Chappell couldn't do worse, in the same lifetime, than asking his younger brother to bowl underarm, he showed them how wrong they were. You have to watch the sequence to realise how terrible it looks.

The team were boarding the bus as the crowds stood booing. Chappel climbed in and just on climbing the last step, turned a bit to his right, held up his right hand out of the window to his right pointing to the fans outside with his palm facing upwards, all fingers folded except the middle one.

Lets see what the BCCI does for this act of indiscipline. Or ICC for that matter. Is ICC concerned with behaviour of players and officials towards fans, spectators and media when off the field ?

- a disgusted former admirer​

Massive overreaction.

C_C

International Captain
Isolator said:
Massive overreaction.
No, massive cultural ignorance from the part of many here. Chappell is coaching India, not Australia. As such,his actions will be viewed from an Indian cultural perspective.
I am sure if someone impressed their cultural values on you ( say comes from a ***ually conservative culture and called most aussie women to be whores) you wouldnt take that as an insignificant comment.

greg

International Debutant
SJS said:
Greg Chappell has crashed to the depths in the estimation of cricketing fans. Nothing he or Team India do from here onwards can undo the damage to his personal esteem. I was transfixed in horror as I saw it on TV after landing in Delhi last night and kept watching it again and again till late into the night. It was horrible.

- a disgusted former admirer​
Not much else on the telly?

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Some people are showing a great deal of cultural insensitivity in this thread...what some must realise is that a gesture that is harmless in one culture means a great deal in another...so comments like "get over it" are just ignorant IMO.

parttimer

U19 Cricketer
Well maybe the Kolkatans shouldn't have burned an effigy of him, that might have offended HIS 'cultural sensitivities'.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
C_C said:
No, massive cultural ignorance from the part of many here. Chappell is coaching India, not Australia. As such,his actions will be viewed from an Indian cultural perspective.
I am sure if someone impressed their cultural values on you ( say comes from a ***ually conservative culture and called most aussie women to be whores) you wouldnt take that as an insignificant comment.
If you want someone to respected under the eyes of Indian culture, then you should pick an Indian coach.

They appointed Chappell because they thought they had the most chance of improving under him, not because they thought he would be a PR man or because they thought his actions would be viewed in good light by Indian culture. They appointed an Australian coach, and he is going to act Australian.