• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2005/2006 State League (NZ women)

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
Good for you Tamara - that's a good attitude to have.

Ros Kember is good but I reckon there are not enough batters around who can just give it a whack. We've got lots of good nudgers and nurdlers but nobody who can kane it like Rolls can.

Where are the people who just boof it? The only person I can remember who played for NZ that did that was Kate Pulford but now she doesn't even play. That is a shame.

crickyfan

Cricket Spectator
True. I think the game would get more exposure if people like that were encouraged.

I watched a Auckland club game once where a girl batted all 50 overs and got 50 runs. Her team clapped her! They should have shot her.

cricketchick

Cricket Spectator
True True. I read somewhere that Kate Pulford is playing in Australia this year and is eligable for the Australian side.

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
Really? That is interesting. Typical though, it seems you don't have to do much at all to play for any country you like.

I heard Anna O'Leary was going to play for England.

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
I think it is fair enough that Rolls and Drumm fit cricket around the other things in their lives, the women's game isn't professional after all, you have to earn a living somehow.

They might be at the age where they want to leave and start families anyway.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
Pulford I wouldnt think would be available for Aus. There is a certain standdown period of either 2 o 3 years. Same as the guys.

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
State League 2005-06
The 2005-06 State League season starts this month with champions State Canterbury Magicians and their five contenders ready to commence rivalries on the field once again.

The six Major Associations have finalised their squads according to New Zealand Cricket regulations.

Major Associations were required to name their squads of 13 by December 5 and are then able to draft players from other provinces.

Known as inter- Association players, each team is allowed a maximum of two at any one time and overseas players are not restricted by this classification.

The State League Round 1 starts on December 27 (click here to see the full schedule), with the final planned for Saturday January 28.

State League Teams
State Auckland Hearts
The Hearts lost the final to Canterbury last season and will want to go one better this time. They have lost Emily Drumm to State Northern Spirit but welcome former White Fern Michelle Lynch after a year’s hiatus. The form of White Ferns squad member Ros Kember also bodes well.

Squad: Rebecca Rolls (captain), Saskia Bullen, Shanna Coetzee, Ingrid Cronin-Knight, Ros Kember, Elfriede Komp, Victoria Lind, Michelle Lynch, Prashilla Mistry, Debbie Ramsay, Natalee Scripps, Megan Tremaine, Helen Watson
Coach: Wally Stamp

State Canterbury Magicians
The State League champions have recruited former England player Mandie Godliman, who had played for Wellington as an inter-association player last season. Three more new players - bowlers Michelle Mitchell, Tabitha Waterreus and Kim Minogue – strengthen an already competitive squad. Young all-rounder Amy Satterthwaite, a White Ferns squad member, will also be more than useful to their title defence. The team have changed venue for this season, and will play at the Village Green, QE II instead of Redwood Park.

Squad Haidee Tiffen (captain), Sarah Burke, Selena Charteris, Maria Fahey, Mandie Godliman, Beth McNeill, Rowan Milburn, Kim Minogue, Michelle Mitchell, Hannah Rae, Amy Satterthwaite, Rebecca Steele, Tabatha Wattereus
Coach: Kirsty Flavell

State Central Hinds
The Hinds welcome former Wellington bowler Lincoln Doull as coach. The ex-Firebird joins as Liz Perry heads to the capital. Doull will need current White Ferns, Sara McGlashan and captain Aimee Mason to perform.

Squad: Aimee Mason (captain), Abby Burrows, Rachel Candy, Kendra ****sedge, Sarah Duffill, Sara McGlashan, Zara McWilliams, Laura Pascall, Rachel Priest, Andrea Stockwell, Nicole Thessman, Donna Trow, Kelly Winkley Coach: Lincoln Doull

State Northern Spirit
The arrival of White Fern Emily Drumm bolsters a strong batting line up, which also sees Anna Wilkins return from Canterbury. Janice Fraser and promising youngsters Megan Murphy and Tamara Gould will also provide quality at the crease, while Spirit also boast a strong bowling attack in White Ferns pace merchants Louise Milliken and Nicola Browne.

Squad: Nicola Browne (captain), Emily Drumm, Janice Fraser, Kelly Goodson, Tamara Gould, Maree Hannay, Tessa Hickson, Holly Huddleston, Louise Milliken, Megan Murphy, Aimie Stowers, Jeannette Ullyett, Anna Wilkins
Coach: Cliff Dickeson

State Otago Sparks
Former England pace bowler Clare Taylor has been named as the Sparks’ player/coach, but they have incurred two big losses in Paula Flannery, who has left New Zealand, and Rachel Pullar, who is unavailable this season.
Responsibility will rest with their White Ferns squad trio of captain Sarah Tsukigawa, Suzie Bates and Katey Martin, and New Zealand A player Megan Kane, to score the bulk of the runs.

Squad: Sarah Tsukigawa (captain), Suzie Bates, Rebecca Chittock, Jenna Innes, Shannon King, Abigail Kitchin, Megan Kane, Alana Kane, Katey Martin, Tanya Morrison, Kirsten Spence, Clare Taylor (Player/coach), Courtney Winsloe

State Wellington Blaze
Coach Robbie Kerr, also New Zealand A boss, will be joined by former Wellington men’s development coach Mark Borthwick to form a leadership duo.
The pair will be joined by a new captain, Anna Dodd (nee Corbin), while former White Fern Anna Smith (nee O'Leary) and Central Districts all-rounder Liz Perry have come in.
However, ex-White Ferns captain Maia Lewis, Margaret Presland and Losi Harford have all retired and promising youngster Sophie Devine misses out through injury.

Squad:Anna Dodd (captain), Olivia Bupha-Intr, Amanda Cooper, Lucy Doolan, Amanda Green, Sarah Hill, Amber Little, Elizabeth Perry, Elizabeth Scurr, Anna Smith, Melissa Taylor, Megan Tuapawa, Megan Wakefield
Coaches: Robbie Kerr/Mark Borthwick

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
Looking at this I think I underestimated Wellington, they might not be too bad with Anna O'Leary (now Smith) back.

There really are some very good openers around with Fahey, Kember, Lind, Smith, Fraser, Lynch all capable.

crickyfan

Cricket Spectator
It's confusing with all these Anna's getting married and changing names - how are we supposed to know which one is which.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
GoTheGirls said:
Looking at this I think I underestimated Wellington, they might not be too bad with Anna O'Leary (now Smith) back.

There really are some very good openers around with Fahey, Kember, Lind, Smith, Fraser, Lynch all capable.
Dam what about me.... Nah joking

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
Tell me more about your team Tamara - I see it is just about the same as what you suggested earlier with that batting order, with a couple of new names...

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
These are only the players we have protected. It doesnt mean we cant go outside of the squad. It just means no other teams can take those players.

Victoria Brown has taken a year off from cricket so that has opened up a place in our team. I'm guess the new names would be Tessa Hickson (she first played debut 4 or 5 years ago as a 14 year old. top/middle order batter.) and Holly (middle lower order bat. wicketkeeps a little however would be selected as a medium pace bowler).

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
That is interesting. I think you are very lucky getting to open with Janice Fraser, she seems to have been around forever and I think she is great. I like her because she bats like a guy, gives it a good heave.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
she has always been someone that struggles to step up to the state level however i am picking a big year from her this year. She scored 170 the other day in a OD game. ok only agaisnt schoolgirls but you still got to stay out there. Trainings she is hitting the ball very nicely. She plays club cricket with the guys so I guess that has helped her alot

GoTheGirls

Cricket Spectator
170 - wow. I don't think I've scored that many runs in all my life.

I think the ball has hit me more times than I have hit it.

I saw on the ECB website that Janice had a great time in England, scored a ton then won middlsex player of the year.

i hope this year is good for her, she probably struggling in the past being pratically the only good batter in the team. Now she's in a good top order.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
GoTheGirls said:
170 - wow. I don't think I've scored that many runs in all my life.

I think the ball has hit me more times than I have hit it.

I saw on the ECB website that Janice had a great time in England, scored a ton then won middlsex player of the year.

i hope this year is good for her, she probably struggling in the past being pratically the only good batter in the team. Now she's in a good top order.
She had a good county season i think. Only playing division 3 though. Club was not so flash for her. well certainly not when she played against me. That was a harder competition and I think most Kiwis struggled with the pitches and it took them ages to get used to them. Well I certainly did

crickyfan

Cricket Spectator
I don't know this girl at all but if she's your opening partner shouldn't you be talking her up - not telling us that she is average :)

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
I am a person who would prefer to be talked down and perform better than expected than the other way. she is a good player. You have to be good to play at that level.