• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

50 not out for Botham

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I'm not usually a huge fan of birthday threads, but I think this fella deserves one. IT Botham reaches his half-century today. All the best big fella. :)

The 24th of November seems to be a good day for English cricket: it's also the 111th anniversary (one foot off the floor please!) of Herbert Sutcliffe's birthday & Ken Barrington would've been 75 today too. Numbers 1 & 2 respectively in terms of averages for English test players with over 2000 runs!

archie mac

International Coach
I was going to quote the speech David Brent makes in the office about Beefy, but I can't remember it all and I am to lazy to go and find it :-O

Happy Birthday big fella, and no we have not forgiven for 1981 :@

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
archie mac said:
I was going to quote the speech David Brent makes in the office about Beefy, but I can't remember it all and I am to lazy to go and find it :-O
“People see me, and they see the suit, and they go: “you’re not fooling anyone”, they know I’m rock and roll through and through. But you know that old thing, live fast, die young? Not my way. Live fast, sure, live too bloody fast sometimes, but die young? Die old. That’s the way- not orthodox, I don’t live by “the rules” you know. And if there’s one other person who’s influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system, then, it’s Ian Botham. Because Beefy will happily say “that’s what I think of your selection policy, yes I’ve hit the odd copper, yes I’ve enjoyed the old dooby, but will you **** off and leave me alone, I’m walking to John O’Groats for some spastics.”.”

from: http://homepage.mac.com/elliottday/theoffice/quotes2.html

Slow Love™

International Captain
Not much love for Botham, I see. Happy birthday, Beefy. :)

He was fairly popular in his playing days and just after (at least, that's how I remember things) - he seems to have lost a lot of that popularity since he became a commentator though.

archie mac

International Coach
Dasa said:
“People see me, and they see the suit, and they go: “you’re not fooling anyone”, they know I’m rock and roll through and through. But you know that old thing, live fast, die young? Not my way. Live fast, sure, live too bloody fast sometimes, but die young? Die old. That’s the way- not orthodox, I don’t live by “the rules” you know. And if there’s one other person who’s influenced me in that way I think, someone who is a maverick, someone who does that to the system, then, it’s Ian Botham. Because Beefy will happily say “that’s what I think of your selection policy, yes I’ve hit the odd copper, yes I’ve enjoyed the old dooby, but will you **** off and leave me alone, I’m walking to John O’Groats for some spastics.”.”

from: http://homepage.mac.com/elliottday/theoffice/quotes2.html
Thanks for that, I love that show :D

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I'm still waiting for Ian Chappell vs. Ian Botham in a no holds barred brawl. :(

Langeveldt

Soutie
Nice one, apparently I was concieved while dad was on tour with Somerset and IT Botham.. So obviously had a good influence on my parents then.. Well done Beefy..