• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

How good - or bad - an umpire is Darryl Hair?

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've never had much of a problem with him before, but I wasn't at all impressed with him today.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
He's stubbon and self-centred, which are not great traits in an umpire. I'm inclined to defend him because of the ridiculous nature of the complaints against him, assumptions that he is racist because he has made some decisions which don't favour subcontinental teams etc. Really though, he's not the best umpire around and there's no desperate need to keep him in the upper eschelon.

It'll be interesting to see where the ICC goes with it.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
He is the most racist umpire in the panel without doubt imo. Especially against Asian nations. If you look at the footage of the LBW's and caught behind decisions he has given against them and not against their opposition its simply diabolical. I am amazed how no one seems to take notice. India Pakistan And Sri Lanka has repeatedly implored the ICC not to officiate him for their matchers, But ICC looks the other way. :@

Last edited:

luffy

International Captain
In the past years he has made a couple poor decisions against Aus so he isnt entirely racist.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Could it be there's some truth in Hair being racist? I don't think so many cricket fans would use that word so easily if they didn't percieve something there, and I don't think calling all accusations of racism ridiculous will help either. It smacks of a condescending attitude IMO.

chipmonk

U19 Debutant
Dasa said:
Could it be there's some truth in Hair being racist? I don't think so many cricket fans would use that word so easily if they didn't percieve something there, and I don't think calling all accusations of racism ridiculous will help either. It smacks of a condescending attitude IMO.
Ditto !

FRAZ

International Captain
Dasa said:
I wish and pray that "no fanatic notices all this Hair problem" .

R_D

International Debutant
Dasa said:
Exactly.

Fact that Hair's incomptance only seems to affect certain teams really has fans wondering. Its bit hard not to call Hair racist when he seems to make mistakes after mistakes which seemto go against sub-cont teams.

Fusion

Global Moderator
FRAZ said:
Woah! Are you implying that his life may be in danger?!?!?!?! Dude, calm it down a bit. He's not likely to go on vacation in the sub-continent and as hacked off as some fans may be, I've never heard of a fan assualting an umpire in cricket history. I'd say the fat moron is safe.

R_D

International Debutant
FRAZ said:
Lucky for Hair he's not a Football refree or he could've seriously been in trouble.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Dasa said:

Right

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Dasa said:
Are you kidding? "So many cricket fans" call heaps of people racist. Have a look over on the ICF forums for instance at how many people have been accused of racism for making decisions against subcontinental teams. Even if Hair was universally biased against all subcontinental teams in all situations, that still wouldn't make him racist. Extrapolating decisions and opinions about cricket to judge somebody as a character like that is completely absurd.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Even if Hair was universally biased against all subcontinental teams in all situations, that still wouldn't make him racist.
if that were the case, what do you think that would make him?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Anil said:
if that were the case, what do you think that would make him?
It would make him biased. The only way you could connect any sort of on-field bias to racism would be if the reason for the bias was race. Consider that the ICF crowd (and I'm generalising here, but I'm sure everyone has come across someone who holds these views when discussing cricket) also held a major vendetta against Steve Bucknor for some time, and probably still do. Why is it that Hair's supposed bias against subcontinental teams is racism, and Chris Broad as a match referee is similarly branded a racist, while Bucknor's supposed bias against subcontinental teams (or mostly India, from the complaints I've seen) isn't? Or is he also some sort of white supremacist, out to undermine coloured people in the game of cricket?

Personally, I don't think Hair is biased against subcontinental teams in particular, at least in the literal sense of him setting out to undermine subcontinent sides when he umpires. I think he sees himself as something of a martyr, standing up for what he believes to be right in cricket when others would not be willing to do so. His attitude to the Murali saga shows this pretty clearly. I also think he's rather misguided in the way he does this, and that a lot of the reasons for not liking him are justified. Simply, though he isn't the worst around, I don't think he's a good enough umpire to warrant the trouble that he causes umpiring at the top level. Despite all that, I don't have any reason to believe that he's racist.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
FaaipDeOiad said:
It would make him biased. The only way you could connect any sort of on-field bias to racism would be if the reason for the bias was race. Consider that the ICF crowd (and I'm generalising here, but I'm sure everyone has come across someone who holds these views when discussing cricket) also held a major vendetta against Steve Bucknor for some time, and probably still do. Why is it that Hair's supposed bias against subcontinental teams is racism, and Chris Broad as a match referee is similarly branded a racist, while Bucknor's supposed bias against subcontinental teams (or mostly India, from the complaints I've seen) isn't? Or is he also some sort of white supremacist, out to undermine coloured people in the game of cricket?
People haven't claimed Bucknor was a racist because his exploits were for the most part, solely against the Indian team, resulting in Ganguly giving him a 0 rating and various Indian fans just being ****ed off. If you don't like Indians specifically, that doesn't make you a racist by the strictest terms does it? That's further personified if you only don't like the Indian cricket team. On top of that, Bucknor's exploits don't compare to Hair really. Not at all, when it comes to continous actions for over a decade which lead people to believe Hair has something in it for South Asians.

Also, isn't it odd that Hair's 'martyr' like behaviour seems to always be against a sub-continental team? What is this mission he's on that only involves sub-continental teams going against it?