• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ganguly included in tests

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
shankar said:
Did they discuss the possibility of picking Zaheer as a batting all-rounder? :sleep:
Zaheer probably out-batted Ganguly when Australia toured India back in 2004. :p

irfan

State Captain
SJS said:
To be fair, he is a decent line and length bowler. Swings the ball in if conditions are slightly overcast. Generally bowls in the 'corridor'. His lack of speed can be a bit of a problem if there is no movement. An enterprising batsman can come out and keep depositing him over the boundaries and it is worse than being a spinner due to the lack of a loop of flight.

He is very much like Mohinder Amarnath was during his later years. Surely Ganguly should have bowled more for India in the past and forgetting all the fun we, me included, are making of him today, he could have been more successful if he had taken his bowling more seriously. But he didn't. He was happy that his place in the side was assured due to his captaincy and his batting. Today for him to bring his rusty disused bowling out of the cupboard and hold it aloft as a certificate for him to be included in the team stinks of dishonesty.

As far as wickets in domestic cricket are concerned, they are not always from great bowling. Maharashtra could have been bowled out for a miserably low score but for some slogging by tailenders.

If we have to go by bowling in domestic cricket then Zaheer should have been first choice since he has been outstanding this season.

Further on domestic performance but for that one century, Ganguly's domestic performance with the bat has been atrocioius. Would someone care to go through the figures ? When faced with the first decent bowler of the season, Zaheer himself, in Duleep Trophy, Ganguly bagged a pair in the match.

Its interesting how his past international record is used to support his claim in batting and his current domestic record to support his claim in bowling. This kind of decipt is what bugs me.

The selectors should have had the guts to say that inspite of Ganguly's indifferent form of recent times in international cricket, we feel a player of his calibre cant be ignored in the longer version of the game considering Yuvraj and Kaif are relatively inexperienced in this format. I would have thought that, some people may have disagreed but there would have been a case and I am okay with that.

To include Ganguly at the expense of Kaif and Yuvraj appears unfair but it would not have raised eyebrows, six months back. Thats not a very long period in a cricketers career. I think we should accept his inclusion purely as a batsman. Tomorrow, Tendulkar or Dravid may face similar situation.

BUT there is no need to reinvent himself

NOR does his selection be made the be all of team selection. This way rahul is being put under un-necessary pressure and I would like to see if he will use his prerogative and drop him as he seems inclined to.
top post - really addressed all the criteria regarding ganguly's selection. Wudnt it be funny if gangas was icluded in the squad but not in the first XII

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Just a small point, but is Ganguly as a 6th batsman and 3rd seamer in spin friendly conditions really as bad a pick as Shane Watson or Andrew Symonds?

shankar

International Debutant
marc71178 said:
Just a small point, but is Ganguly as a 6th batsman and 3rd seamer in spin friendly conditions really as bad a pick as Shane Watson or Andrew Symonds?
It's not that picking Ganguly is a horrendous, indefensible move. It's just that the selectors have unnecesarily tried to justify it with the most ridiculous of reasons instead of just saying that it's based on his past record, which is quite a reasonable justification.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
shankar said:
It's not that picking Ganguly is a horrendous, indefensible move. It's just that the selectors have unnecesarily tried to justify it with the most ridiculous of reasons instead of just saying that it's based on his past record, which is quite a reasonable justification.
Exactly.

That and Ganguly going around trying to build a case for himself using the same lines as the selectors stinks.

It wouldnt have been shocking had Ganguly been selected as the 6th batsman. The main concern then would have been the equations in the dressing room not Ganguly's credentials which are not worse than some others who have played for India in the past.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
An aside...

One of the few plusses for India in yesterdays forgettable match was Yuvraj's brilliant batting. He is getting better with every outing. Very decisive foot movement, flowing drives with head over the ball, very straight bat, no ugly sweeps (we havent seen them for five innings now). He looks a different player when he gives up his sweeps and moves his feet to the ball. Brilliant.

Wonder how they are going to justify keeping him out if he is going to be the most consistent batsman in the run upto the first test ??

mattinferno

Cricket Spectator
ganguly back

Yes ganguly is back and you might be wondering if it is good for indian cricket. well i've been acricketing enthusiast and a deep analyst of the game for many years. i still can never forget when he first raised his bat in international cricket on his debut in england. i'd be lying if i say that i have not admired his bating.the truth is that he has achieved so much and i believe he is not finished. frankly the fact that he has scored 22 centuries and only tendulkar is ahead of him. and there is more he is the 3rd person to have an aggeregate of 10000 runs and only very few have an average of over 40.yes he could have done better in tests compairing to the promising start. his presence in the team will always be a something we can always look up to. ganguly should be gven more chances though he's going through a rough patch. he has 3-4 years of cricket left in him. he should be ther in 2007 world cup team even if he cannot retain captaincy.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
There goes another joker.

First Yashpal, now Pronob Roy. Unemployed selectors make good copy. Come on Gopal Sharma lets have another 'doosra' from UP too :p