• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

A team of 11 spinners !

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Slats4ever said:
it is of my belief that Kumble is highly suited to Indian conditions (whether people see them as spin tracks or not). I also believe that his record on other pitches around the world is poor, thus reflecting on his status.

McGill however is a better rounded bowler, and performs almost equally well at all locations. This proves that he is more than a one-dimensional bowler and in my opinion a superior bowler.
80% of the matches that MacGill has played have been on pitches that offer greater assistance to spinners. He yet to really be tested over a consistant period on pitches that offer less support to spinners. Until he plays more matches on pitches that offer less support at Test level its near impossible to say his superior to Kumble.

On face value Kumble bowling average of 36 away from home is pretty average, but when you consider about 80% those pitches away from home have offered next to no assistance to spinners it not that bad. The only time MacGill played on similar pitches was in the Windies where he averaged 32.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Pratyush said:
Spinning tracks of India does not necessarily mean you will perform well in India as a spinner.
Indeed not - and the evidence of the greatest wicket taker of all time is pretty conclusive towards that.

Maison

Cricket Spectator - 1st Warning
chaminda_00 said:
MacGill has tailored his bowling to Australian pitches and Kumble to Indian pitches. Like Warne, MacGill prefers bounce over turn, so pitches don't really come into as pitches in Australia suit his bowling and pitches in Indian suit Kumble bowling. IMO they are about on par...

er, im pretty sure MacGill preferes excessive turn, with some bounce, not 'bounce over turn'.

look at the 2nd test between Australia and the West Indies, MacGill gets a lot of movement. Im pretty sure the commentators also said the same..

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Maison said:
er, im pretty sure MacGill preferes excessive turn, with some bounce, not 'bounce over turn'.

look at the 2nd test between Australia and the West Indies, MacGill gets a lot of movement. Im pretty sure the commentators also said the same..
MacGill is one of those bowlers that gets excessive natural turn, but when he comes across pitches that bounce. Its gives him something he can't produce naturally, excessive bounce and turn. Also if you watched him bowl in Sri Lanka, he had no idea what to do with all the turn he was getting. All spinners like a lot of turn, but you have to know how best to use it, which MacGill is yet really master, through lack of exposure more then anything else. MacGill like Warne bowls best when there is a bit of turn and a lot of bounce (i.e Aussie pitches) as that whats they have designed their bowling to.

FRAZ

International Captain
Atleast chose teams in which spinners are those who can bat good too . Chandrashaekhar though was an excellent bowler but wont qualify as the batsman .
the openers that I can think of
1 Jayasuriya
2 Tendulkar and so on

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
Atleast chose teams in which spinners are those who can bat good too . Chandrashaekhar though was an excellent bowler but wont qualify as the batsman .
the openers that I can think of
1 Jayasuriya
2 Tendulkar and so on
Well Im not going to read the entire thread but Shastri must open.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
Can't bat, can't field, is probably about 178th in terms of spinners of all time.
You mean there have been only 178 spinners in the history of the game :)

Benny2k1

U19 12th Man
Ok top of my head 11 spinners in a side

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuria
Brian lara
Mark Waugh
Viv Richards
A Flower (wk)
A Border (c)
S Warne
J Laker
Bill O'Reilly
M Muralitharan

12th Man: Kevin Peiterson
13th Man: Ritchie Benaud

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Slats4ever said:
Nor that Kumble can be greater than McGill. None of the stats point towards it unfortunately. McGill doesn't only play on turning tracks i think you'll find. He's played tests at Adelaide, WACA and in the Carribean... He hasn't yet played on the turning tracks of India yet. If he had that would "skew" his stats even more.

Just like it 'skews' Warnes' stats?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Benny2k1 said:
Ok top of my head 11 spinners in a side

Sachin Tendulkar
Sanath Jayasuria
Brian lara
Mark Waugh
Viv Richards
A Flower (wk)
A Border (c)
S Warne
J Laker
Bill O'Reilly
M Muralitharan

12th Man: Kevin Peiterson
13th Man: Ritchie Benaud
Bit harsh on the ol' Don there, Benny.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Hmmm....

Gilchrist
Jayasuryia
Pietersen
Ashraful
Dilshan
That New Zealand fella... is it styris?
Kumble
Warne
Giles
Boje
Muralidaran

steds

Hall of Fame Member
Tomm NCCC said:
That New Zealand fella... is it styris?
Scott Styris - average middle order bat, military medium part-timer and shoe in for any list of the 50 ugliest men alive. Have another guess.

How about Dan Vettori?

Last edited:

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
steds said:
Scott Styris - average middle order bat, military medium part-timer and shoe in for any list of the 50 ugliest men alive. Have another guess.

How about Dan Vettori?
I knew these guys were two seperate blokes can i just point out:) , and I cant tell you why I said styris, but Vettori would be the new zealand fella. Cheers. As Ive said before, I barely know anything about New Zealand cricket