• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England considering diplomatic snub!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
That is seriously unbelievable stuff.

On a different note, Australia is also a big country. How do itineries work there and how much travel do teams do compared to India? (just to get an idea)

A graphical represenation could be good as well if some one can do it.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
superkingdave said:
It seems to me England aren't happy at flying the equivalent of London-Egypt a couple of days before the first test. Don't think i'd be all that happy to do that either
I just dont get it..I mean how many versions we are going to hear ? I dont know how long it takes from London to Egypt ( I guess 4-5 hours) but please dont tell me that you want to go to a country as big as India and dont want to spend few hours in travel time.

Actually that is the only travelling England team would be doing until the 2nd ODI because Ahmedabad, Nagpur & Mumbai, Goa all are in western part of the country and hadly 30-60 minutes by flight from one place to other.

India is a much better place to travel (from western tourists perspective), Hotels are better ,even in smaller towns, most grounds have decent flight connections. I dont know why ECB is complaing so much.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
England's itinerary, for those of us less familiar with Indian geography.. (took some research, this)

Good Stuff..but what is the point. Most Indians already know it.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
superkingdave said:
It seems to me England aren't happy at flying the equivalent of London-Egypt a couple of days before the first test. Don't think i'd be all that happy to do that either
Do you mean Cairo or Alexandria or some other city?
After you get that right, we can talk about distances and time of travel. :p

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Good Stuff..but what is the point. Most Indians already know it.
I believe the point is that any idiot with a GCSE in logistics could come up with a far more logical sequence of games, and hence the routes between them.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
Jono said:
I actually understand England's gripe, if it is specifically to do with the flight order and schedule. If it has to do with where they are playing, that's not on. Every Indian city deserves to see cricket so long as their facilities are good enough.
Apparently their problem is the latter.

"John Carr and Richard Bevan, who met with BCCI officials on Thursday, were told that the Test and ODI venues were non negotiable - England are upset that only one major ground, Mumbai, the venue for the third Test, has been included in the itinerary. Carr and Bevan were told that the BCCI's policy of rotating the grounds was the reason.
"

Here's the link to the article: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/story/226516.html.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
viktor said:
Apparently their problem is the latter.

"John Carr and Richard Bevan, who met with BCCI officials on Thursday, were told that the Test and ODI venues were non negotiable - England are upset that only one major ground, Mumbai, the venue for the third Test, has been included in the itinerary. Carr and Bevan were told that the BCCI's policy of rotating the grounds was the reason.
"

Here's the link to the article: http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/story/226516.html.
The first part of the report also states that there is a serious beef about the warm-up games. I'm sure that if those had been scheduled with a little more consideration, then India would have got away with the test and ODI schedules without too much fuss (a few blusters from the Pimm's drinking set at Lord's, buit that's it).

Instead, they went for broke and put together an itinerary where the warm-up games were half way to Thailand - a state of affairs that could be interpreted in a number of ways.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
The first part of the report also states that there is a serious beef about the warm-up games. I'm sure that if those had been scheduled with a little more consideration, then India would have got away with the test and ODI schedules without too much fuss (a few blusters from the Pimm's drinking set at Lord's, buit that's it).

Instead, they went for broke and put together an itinerary where the warm-up games were half way to Thailand - a state of affairs that could be interpreted in a number of ways.
If you read an earlier article, http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/indveng/content/story/226164.html,
the part about the practice matches appears later:

"To add to England's woes, two three-day practice matches ahead of the Test series were on Thursday allocated to Jamshedpur and Agartala, towns without luxury hotels. Jamshedpur, an industrial town in the eastern state of Jharkhand, hosted the last of its nine one-dayers against Pakistan in April. Agartala, in the country's northeast, has never hosted an international match."

Ofcourse, this might just be the writer's way of, well..., writing, or it might reflect the actual feeling within the ECB.
In any case, I don't think either of the arguments hold water.
If it is about the flight schedule, yes it could have been scheduled better; the board should probably go ahead and hire that idiot with GSCE or whatever...
However, let me also point out that the amount of travel involved is not that great, admittedly more time than getting to Lords from the Oval, but still, not too bad.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
I believe the point is that any idiot with a GCSE in logistics could come up with a far more logical sequence of games, and hence the routes between them.
Once again a rather rubbish response but I cdidn't expect anything better based on that map. Btw Can you guess the maximum travel time betwen any two venue there ?

There couldn't have been a better schedule for tests since I cant remember any other combination of 3 test grounds in India which require less travel than the current schedule. (okay there is one Kotla@Delhi-Mohali@Chandigard-Greenpark@Kanpur).

In all honesty, I dont think it's about travelling time because today If BCCI are to offer Delhi instead of Nagpur, and Kolkata instead of Ahmedabad as test Venues..ECB will immidiately and happily accept it. Not to mention the fact any idiot will know which one has more travel time Delhi-Kolkata-Mumbai or Mumbai-Ahmedabad-Nagpur.

Last edited:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sanz said:
Once again a rather rubbish response but I cdidn't expect anything better based on that map. Btw Can you guess the maximum travel time betwen any two venue there ?.
As I see it, pretty well every time I try to reply seriously to anything at all, usually to give my interpretation by way of explanation to some question or other asking 'Why has such and such a person taken this course of action', you chip in with something along the lines of "That's another typical response from Luckyeddie" or "Just what do we expect from you" or "Another typically arrogant blah blah".

Oh well. Whatever flavours your condom.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Sanz said:
Dude, if you dont know something...Please dont comment on it. Jamshedpur is a major Industrial city in India and has hosted many ODIs, even England have played there before.

I have not visited Agartala so can't comment on the venue, But Queen's team are going to whine, no matter what they are offered.
I have been fully informed of the situation. I don't need you mouthing off about how I shouldn't comment on things that I "don't know". The fact of the matter is that Jamshedpur, whether it has hosted many ODIs or not, is still a relatively obscure venue. And I wasn't even focusing on that. Agartala is ridiculously obscure, not to mention out of the way. Admit that India are just trying to throw their weight around with this ridiculous itinerary.

When India tour England, perhaps they should play their warm-up matches in Diego Garcia and the Falkland Islands.

nehrafan

Banned
England have no choice but to play at the venues suggested by Indian cricket board, playing practice matches in Pakistan is plain stupid.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
nehrafan said:
England have no choice but to play at the venues suggested by Indian cricket board, playing practice matches in Pakistan is plain stupid.
Why do they have no choice?

If it's a 'suggestion', then surely there's a choice? Otherwise, it's an order.

nehrafan

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Why do they have no choice?

If it's a 'suggestion', then surely there's a choice? Otherwise, it's an order.
Then consider that as an order :cool: .

THe scheduled venues aren't really that bad and England team would be looked after well as they have always been :)

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
nehrafan said:
Then consider that as an order :cool: .

THe scheduled venues aren't really that bad and England team would be looked after well as they have always been :)
I think that Andrew Flintoff would disagree. After all, he was shot in India. He saw pellets.

C_C

International Captain
The fact of the matter is that Jamshedpur, whether it has hosted many ODIs or not, is still a relatively obscure venue.
If Jamshedpur is an obscure venue, any venue in Australia apart from Sydney is an obscure venue.
And FYI, the travel times you are talking is not much. Jamshedpur to Agartala is 2 hrs by plane, the longest flight is Agartala to Ahmedabad in that itenary and thats a 3 hrs flight- thats less time than Perth to Sydney.

India is a big country with a lotta venues - and more venues are being developed. As long as the lodging conditions are up to standard and the team has the standard time between matches, England should stop its typical whining and get on with it.
They have no busieness interfering with the progress of the subcontinental cricket.

This itenary is no more travel than many other tours in the recent past.
When PAK came to IND, they played in Dharmasala,Mohali, Kolkata,Bangalore, Hyderabad, Cochin, Vishakapatnam,Jamshedpur, Ahmedabad,Kanpur and Delhi.
They didnt whine.

When Zimbabwe came, they played in Vijaywada,Nagpur, New Delhi,Faridabad,Mohali,Kochi,Hyderabad and Guwahati. They didnt whine either.

Maybe BCCI should keep ready some diapers and pacifiers too or else the English team might just flip out and whine about lack of comfort.
8-) 8-)

ClownSymonds said:
I think that Andrew Flintoff would disagree. After all, he was shot in India. He saw pellets.
The guy suffers from hallucination, the only thing that was ever thrown on English players happen to be rose petals!! And thats a part of ur great traditional wellcome.