• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England considering diplomatic snub!

Choora

State Regular
India on for an English snub

November 20, 2005 18:56 IST

Piqued by Board of Control for Cricket in India's refusal to alter the venues for England tour early next year, the visitors are planning a diplomatic snub by playing their warm-up games in Pakistan, media reported on Sunday.

It would be a significant step by England in their feud with the Indian Board, who have drafted an itinerary, which can only be called humiliating, The Sunday Telegraph said in a report.

"Assuming that the itinerary is confirmed at an Indian Board meeting on Nov 29-30, England will reject both warm-up venues," Scyld Berry, the writer, said quoting sources.

Instead, England would play two practice games in Pakistan before flying via Delhi to Ahmedabad for the first Test which begins on March 8.

Colonel Naushad Ali, Pakistan Cricket Board's Media Co-ordinator, confirmed England had made such an approach.

"I'm sure we can arrange something between Islamabad and Lahore," Ali was quoted in the report.

The only previous occasion on which England had gone out of their way to practice in another country was last winter when they preferred to warm-up in Namibia before flying to Zimbabwe.

"That England are considering treating India in the same way, barring a change of leadership in the Indian Board elections this month reflects their discontent," the report said.

According to the newspaper, the ECB were shocked when the itinerary was announced as Mumbai, where the third Test will be played, is the only one of top ten venues where England will play.

"But the final straw came on Thursday when England were told the two three-day practice games at the start of their tour had been allocated to the northeast; one in Jamshedpur, a steel city, the other in Agartala, which has never staged a significant game of cricket.

"The main hotel in Agartala has rooms costing less than 5 pounds per night, according to its website," the report claimed.

The newspaper claimed that the feud between England and India went back to the 1996 World Cup, which the former thought they were going to stage before the latter grabbed it and made a fortune out of it.

"The relationship was made worse by the animosity between former ECB chairman, Lord MacLaurin and the power-broker of Indian cricket Jagmohan Dalmiya," the report claimed.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
I don't understand why India insist on forcing touring international teams to play at the most obscure venues. Sure, England shouldn't have complained too much about the test venues, but the ones for the warm-up matches seem ridiculous. India should be more sensible. I don't think many football teams would be happy to practice in some remote Amazon town while touring Brazil .

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
They were discussing this on the radio.

Apparently the 1st ODI is half an hour by plane from the venue of the 3rd Test, but inbetween they've got a warm up game in the Himalayas!!!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
They were discussing this on the radio.

Apparently the 1st ODI is half an hour by plane from the venue of the 3rd Test, but inbetween they've got a warm up game in the Himalayas!!!
Might as well play Nepal, then. They've supposedly got a great U-19 side.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
It's not like Agartala and Jamshedpur are tiny villages...I don't see the problem.
Another one to add to the history of poor cricketing relations between England and the subcontinent.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'll look forward to India playing in Scotland and Durham in September 2007. If India are going to blatantly ignore England and common sense then England should do whatever they like.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
luckyeddie said:
in the last U19 world cup..reckon they got a bit older now...so Nepal should havea great side :blink:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Scaly piscine said:
I'll look forward to India playing in Scotland and Durham in September 2007. If India are going to blatantly ignore England and common sense then England should do whatever they like.
apperently Pakistan is coming to holland for a few warm up games next year.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Scaly piscine said:
Might send them to Taunton for a run-fest or two, certainly wouldn't mind Tendulkar, Dravid et al filling their boots in my back yard.

It's not the remoteness of the locations which bothers them, from what I gather - it's the fact that they have to keep flying all over the place rather than doing the trip in a logical order so they don't have to keep going back where they came from. India's a lot bigger than the UK, which is why there won't be this kind of fuss when India come here. Or there shouldn't, anyway.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
ClownSymonds said:
I don't understand why India insist on forcing touring international teams to play at the most obscure venues. Sure, England shouldn't have complained too much about the test venues, but the ones for the warm-up matches seem ridiculous. India should be more sensible.
Dude, if you dont know something...Please dont comment on it. Jamshedpur is a major Industrial city in India and has hosted many ODIs, even England have played there before.

I have not visited Agartala so can't comment on the venue, But Queen's team are going to whine, no matter what they are offered.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
Might send them to Taunton for a run-fest or two, certainly wouldn't mind Tendulkar, Dravid et al filling their boots in my back yard.

It's not the remoteness of the locations which bothers them, from what I gather - it's the fact that they have to keep flying all over the place rather than doing the trip in a logical order so they don't have to keep going back where they came from. India's a lot bigger than the UK, which is why there won't be this kind of fuss when India come here. Or there shouldn't, anyway.
...and that's why the BCCI have the rotation policy. You have 1 billion people who all (well, maybe not all) want to see cricket. Jamshedpur is a pretty big (and pretty nice from what I remember last time I was there) city...not some country backwater. I haven't been to Agartala, but seeing as it is in Tripura, I would imagine it is a very picturesque and relaxed kind of city.
At any rate, the ECB would be well-advised not to get on the wrong side of the BCCI...considering the power the subcontinent holds in relation to financial matters.

Last edited:

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Speaking of U-19 sides..If I am not wrong, last time the England U19 team visited India, they played a game in Agartala as well. :)

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Scaly piscine said:
We wont complain. :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Agartala is the place my mom was born in. I have gone there a few times in my childhood. Its the capital of a state but very small town with a small ground.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scaly piscine said:
I'd just give them a straw mat at the Bass ground, Burton on Trent for a couple of weeks and say "There you go".

(then prepare a bunch of green tops for the tests)

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
It seems to me England aren't happy at flying the equivalent of London-Egypt a couple of days before the first test. Don't think i'd be all that happy to do that either

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I actually understand England's gripe, if it is specifically to do with the flight order and schedule. If it has to do with where they are playing, that's not on. Every Indian city deserves to see cricket so long as their facilities are good enough.