• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Latif wants action taken against Bell.

pakster

U19 12th Man
Rashid Latif, whose Test career was effectively ended by a five-match ban, has called on the International Cricket Council to impose a similar suspension on England's Ian Bell. Though the umpires did not consult the TV umpire at the time, replays of Mohammad Yousuf's dismissal suggested the ball may have clipped the ground as Bell caught it off his own bowling.
"It's obvious that Bell has claimed an unfair catch," said Latif, who was the Pakistan captain when he was suspended for claiming a catch off Bangladesh's Alok Kapali. "The ball touched the ground while he was completing the catch and he would have known about it.

"Two years ago the match referee ended my career because he felt I had claimed an unfair catch off the ground against Bangladesh. I want to see what they do with Bell."

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/englandinpakistan/story/0,16791,1647068,00.html

He's got a point. I would hate to see double standards in play.

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
"The ball touched the ground while he was completing the catch and he would have known about it."

So obviously he knew he cheated with Alok...hmm

Slow Love™

International Captain
Haven't seen the Bell "catch" - could it possibly be as egregious as Latif's though? I guess I'd have to see a replay to know.

A minor quibble, but there is a distinct difference between "effectively ended his career" and just "ended his career".

I think the Latif incident was enacted by a complaint by the opposition (being the Bangladeshi team management) at the time - I dunno if that needs to occur or not - everything seems very hazy when it comes to claiming dubious catches.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rashid Latif is a moron - end of story.

There's a difference between a reflex relaxation and tightening of the grip and physically picking the ball up off the ground in a deliberate attempt to deceive.

Steulen

International Regular
I saw the c&b Bell on the BBC yesterday and I was frankly apalled that he claimed it. Granted, it was in slo-mo, but you can clearly see him taking the catch a few inches off the ground, connecting with the turf in the follow-through and then opening his palm. At that moment, the ball is lying on the ground with Bell's open hand behind it. Bell grabs the ball, holds it in the air and appeals.

I am willing to doubt whether Bell would have been able to feel the grassing of the catch in real time, but it was very very dodgy to say the least. Not a maiden wicket to be proud of.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
luckyeddie said:
Rashid Latif is a moron - end of story.

There's a difference between a reflex relaxation and tightening of the grip and physically picking the ball up off the ground in a deliberate attempt to deceive.
Sure there's a difference, but the problem IMO is that Bell then claimed the catch as if nothing was wrong, when it was quite clear that he didn't have control of the ball when it touched the ground. I would like to see some action taken - whether a ban or not, I don't think international players should be able to get away with such actions.

pakster

U19 12th Man
In all honnesty, I havnt actually seen the rashid latif incident.

But, Bell clearly let go of the ball, appealed (with an incredibly guilty look on his face) and got his way. I'm not saying that he should be banned, but it would be nice to see an enquiry of sorts.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Speaking of dubious catches, I believe there was a similar type of catch that Hodge took in the Brisbane Test against the Windies (fielding at mid-on), where the ball was in the hand but not under control when it touched the ground. The difference in that situation was, Hodge immediately indicated that he did not take it cleanly...the Bell catch, although in a different position, was of a similar type.

Steulen

International Regular
pakster said:
In all honnesty, I havnt actually seen the rashid latif incident.

But, Bell clearly let go of the ball, appealed (with an incredibly guilty look on his face) and got his way. I'm not saying that he should be banned, but it would be nice to see an enquiry of sorts.
He certainly looked like a naughty toddler when he appealed

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think 'moron' is a bit harsh. Latif was probably a bit foolish because in doing so he's pretty much admitted he cheated but if Bell's offence is similar then surely he should be at least receiving a fine?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It simply sounds that Latif's bitter about what happened to him. Get over it.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Dasa said:
Sure there's a difference, but the problem IMO is that Bell then claimed the catch as if nothing was wrong, when it was quite clear that he didn't have control of the ball when it touched the ground. I would like to see some action taken - whether a ban or not, I don't think international players should be able to get away with such actions.
Don't get me wrong, I don't condone Bell's actions at all, if it was a conscious decision to pick the ball up from the ground. It didn't look as though that was the case to me - I thought at first that he had full control of the ball as he landed, then opened and closed his hand to get a 'better grip'. After watching the replays at full speed, it still looked like that.

Slow motion reveals a completely different story, though.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tim said:
I think 'moron' is a bit harsh. Latif was probably a bit foolish because in doing so he's pretty much admitted he cheated but if Bell's offence is similar then surely he should be at least receiving a fine?
Will you settle for 'bonehead'?

Shounak

Banned
andyc said:
It simply sounds that Latif's bitter about what happened to him. Get over it.
So double standards should just be accepted? Is there any question about Ian Bell being disciplined.. Of course he should be disciplined..

Well TBH I haven't seen the Bell catch, but if it is that bad, then he should.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not sure why the fuss about the Bell catch. For years upon years wicketkeepers and close catchers have been claiming and given catches when they know damn well the batsman has not hit the ball. All countries are equally calpable. It's a sad fact of the game that in the main the bowling side do not care whether a dismissal is genuine or not, the only thing they care about is the taking of ten wickets by fair means or foul. The only thing I would say is that I don't expect to see Ian Bell lingering at the crease looking disgusted when he inevitably one day gets a bad decision.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Poor show if he did claim it. Just because your team is getting spanked.........

(shaddap, I can say that now).

Speaking of sportsmanship, what's this I hear about Afridi scuffing up the pitch on a length? Is it true?

supereddi08

School Boy/Girl Captain
Generally you know whether the ball has touched the ground before you catch it. Then it's just a matter of how honest the person is, nothing stopping you appealing really but if you're unsure and the umpire's unsure the benefit has to go to batsmen, if you're unsure then you can ask the question and if the umpire is convinced then you've got to go and if you believe you've taken it... well, then appeal away.

Most players will have a fair idea though, maybe it just shows us what kind of a person Bell is if he was looking guilty, haven't seen it though to be fair so I have no real idea.