• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best to Never

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
After Brad Hodge played his first game for Australia, in the 2nd Test against the Windies. Who is the best to never play for Australia in Tests. Im not saying Brad Hodge was the best to never, but he was very close. But anyway who do you guys think is the best never to not play for Australia and also for the other countries.

I can't think of any Sri Lankans of the top of my head, as anyone who has showed any potential or had a brilliant run in domestic cricket seems to have played for Sri Lanka, at some time or another. Especially considering all the guys they blooded in matches against Bangladesh.

So who is the best never to play a Test...

Last edited:

Blaze

Banned
Best New Zealander atm has to be Peter Fulton. How he hasn't got a run yet I don't know.

Averages 50 in domestic first class cricket.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Ok i just had a little re think, i don't really care about ODIs, so players that only have had played ODIs can count. So players like Jamie Siddons and Peter Fulton can be included..

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
Who was infront of David Hourn, when he was playing state cricket, Ashley Mallet or Kerry O'Keefe?
Late 70s - early 80s, so probably Higgs, Bright (that era's version of Giles), O'Keefe and possibly Mallett.

Horne was regarded as by far the best spin bowler in Aus (by Ian Chappell, no less) but, like Dilip Doshi, had shocking eye-sight and therefore was a liability with the bat and in the field

archie mac

International Coach
I have a little booklet call Hughie's Best Never Eleven by Scribe

The Team is
Sam Trimble
Karl Schneider
Sunny Jim Mackay
Jamie Siddons
Norman Callaway
Frank O'Keefe
Frank Tarrant
Cec Pepper
Charlie Walker
Jack Massie
Jack Marsh

archie mac

International Coach
chaminda_00 said:
I find it hard to beleive a rapper from NZ knows that much about Australian Cricket... :p
Well then you have not listened to his lyrics:

'Mat the Bat is one cool cat, he can club a four and write cooking books galore'

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I did a bit of reseach and found some players from different countries that fit the criteria to make an XI. But i still need players from South Africa, Pakistan and West Indies.

1. Gholam Rahman (Ban) – 1152 runs @ 52.36
2. Jamie Cox (Aus) – 18604 runs @ 42.86
3. Sridharan Sriram (Ind) – 7910 runs @ 56.50, 76 wkts @ 44.10
4. Steve Tikolo (As) – 2848 runs @ 52.74, 45 wkts @ 39.02
5. Peter Fulton (NZ) – 2952 runs @ 49.20
6. Trevor Penney (ZIM) – 7975 runs @ 39.28
10. Gary Keedy (ENG) – 396 wkts @ 31.91
11. Nandika Ranjith (SL) – 220 wkts @ 18.84

G Rahman: Easlier the best current player from Bangladesh yet to make his Test debut, but i can't see this status lasting long. There probably are better players who played in the 80s when they made their ODI debut, but i didn't look into those players.

Jamie Cox: Only made the side infront of Siddons cus of the lack of openers, but he is good enough to make the side on his performances alone.

Sriram: One of my favorite players from India, played 8 ODIs but yet to play a Test. Amazing that someone averaging 56 in domestic cricket has never played Test Cricket, but i guess most batsmen in India lately average near that area.

Tikolo: Both Lebervefe(sp) and Joyce where close in getting the spot for the Non Test Playing nations, but Tilkolo is a class above and me thinks that Joyce might get a England cap pretty soon.

Fulton: His record in FC cricket is only second to the great Martin Crowe yet he can't get a Test. Me thinks if he was a opening batsmen he would be one of the first guys picked for NZ, but they have a decent middle order and the coach doesn't like him.

Penny: One of many Zimbabweans for moved to overseas for better cricketing future. Made a pretty good career for himself at Warks, there are probably better Zimbabweans for moved overseas, but his the first one that came to mind.

Keedy: Probably not the best player not to play cricket for England and probably doesn't even come close compared to others. But i couldn't be bothered reserching too much and being a Lancs fan his one of my favorite players

Ranijth: A late bloomer in Sri Lanka, but has put together a pretty good career for himself. Due to his age he might never play a Test, but he has become a regular for Sri Lanka A, so you never know.

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
1. Gholam Rahman (Ban) – 1152 runs @ 52.36
As long as he's not retired yet, I'm sure he'll be getting a game as soon as possible

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Rahman does have Javed Omar and Nafees infront of him at the top of the order. So he has some competition to get a Test. But they could do worse then bat him at 3 or Nafees at 3 and let Rahman open.

Deja moo

International Captain
And if you think that cannot be topped ( I had my doubts too :p ), I present, Rajinder Goel

First Class:

156 matches, 39743 deliveries, 13909 runs conceded, 750 wickets, best of 8/55, bowling average of 18.54, ER 2.09, SR 52.99, 59 five-fors and 17 ten-fors.

http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/player/29036.html

And they think MacGill has it tough :p

BTW, no prizes for guessing why Shivalkar and Goel couldnt play a single test.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Amol Mazumdar..He was one of the most prolific run accumulators in India until a few years ago..and stil maintains an avg. of 50 something in first class cricket.

Looked @ his profile :-

http://www.icc-cricket.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/CRICKET_NEWS/2000/APR/029299_CI_11APR2000.html

A representation of the Bombay school of batsmanship
Sadiq Yusuf - 11 April 2000

One of the "nearly" men of Indian cricket Amol Muzumdar is a correct right-handed middle-order batsman, cast in the traditional mould. He is probably the best contemporary Bombay representation of the so-called "Bombay School of Batsmanship" - a tradition which emphasizes defensive technique, immense concentration, a willingness to bat for long periods, and a hatred for giving away one's wicket. Over the seasons, Muzumdar has sometimes exhibited a defensive bent, at other times an unwillingness for blazing strokeplay - but he has never demonstrated a lack of patience, the very foundation of the above mentioned Bombay School. Nor of what an English reporter once referred to as his "MCC-approved" defence.

A product of Shardashram school and coach Ramakant Achrekar, Muzumdar came up through the Bombay ranks - he starred for Bombay u-16, led Bombay to a national u-19 title and was a star batsman for the India u-19s. On making the Bombay side he burst into national view immediately, scoring 260 on first-class debut against Haryana in the knock-outs - an international first-class record for a debutant. He went on to average over a hundred his debut season, including top-scoring for Bombay in the Ranji final.

Promptly hailed as the next Tendulkar (when his game was patently unsuited to the comparison), his career faltered - partly due to heightened expectations. He was second only to Rahul Dravid in the middle-order in the England-A series (and ahead of Ganguly), but slowly slipped out of the selectorial vision. This process of vanishing from the selectorial radar has continued, despite remarkably consistent first-class performances - at the start of this year, after five seasons play, he had scored almost 2800 Ranji runs at a career average of over 73.

For most of his career, he has been the man Bombay has turned to in a crisis - the most reliable batsman in the side over the past few seasons (with Tendulkar missing due to national duty). Rated highly by his peers, the 25-year old Muzumdar has captained Bombay several times - including most of this season when senior man Dighe was away on national call in Australia. An off-season summer spent at the Australian Academy a year ago seems to have made him a more rounded batsman - a touch more aggressive, both in stroke-play and in running between the wickets, and sometimes even willing to loft the ball if he's been in long enough - a fact indicated by two one-day tons this season (one each in the Ranji One Day league and the Deodhar Trophy).

With his relative youth, one can expect Muzumdar to continue to serve Bombay cricket with distinction for several more years in the future.