Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What did Sydney Barnes bowl?

International Vice-Captain kyear2's Avatar
    So basically we still dont really have a clue do we. From what I have gleaned, he bowled really fast spin, that also seamed.
    So some thing like a fast Kumble or O'Reilly. But then then he was also compared to medium pace Bedser.
    Confusing really.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Cameron+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

What I feel is that Barnes is a bowler capable of Larwood esque speeds, but would have wanted a true fast bowlers action for it. And with a true fast bowlers action, bowling spin, is a zero possibility. It would have wanted a different action to bowl spin, and batsmen would have readily picked it off his action if that happened. The best option is to get in between, an action allows both spin and pace. That would have allowed him to bowl both seam up and rolled deliveries off a same action, albeit slower than what he is capable of. Having said that, he must have produced some quick spells too when the conditions suited.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information