• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official Bangladesh Domestic Cricket**

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Neil Pickup said:
What's going on with Razzak's action of late?
It was originally measured at 21° but he played in the ODI's against Zimbabwe at the start of last year so I presume he's been cleared.

Hannan's 99 is pretty well his only decent innings for about 2 years. He's an incredibly talented technically-correct cricketer much in the same mould as Alok Kapali. The only difference is that there's a fair chance that Alok could get back into the test side. Hannan still has quite a bit to do to be considered in the same league as Shahriah Nafees, Nafis Iqbal and Javed Omar.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Interesting article from the Daily Star (The BD version, probably contains better English than the English version though!)

Where are the Tigers?
Sports Reporter

After a lacklustre start, the ongoing Aktel Premier Division Cricket League came alive with one more round to go in the first phase but still, there was hardly any encouraging show from the national players to comfort the selectors ahead of the coming home series against Sri Lanka.
Defending champions Old DOHS's narrow escapes during the last few matches produced real one-day excitement in the country's most coveted competition but unfortunately, like the recent past, the foreign players have dictated the terms.

Among them, Kenyan Steve Tikolo is the star performer for table-toppers DOHS after an ordinary last season with Mohamme-dan. The dashing right-hander has so far 556 runs including six half-centuries apart from bagging 16 wickets.

Mohammedan's Indian recruit Sandeep Sharma followed him with 444 runs while left-handed national opener Shahriar Nafees showed some mettle securing the third spot with 421 runs including a hundred (158).

The most disappointing fact is that Bangladesh captain Habibul Bashar and his deputy Khaled Mashud, both playing for title contenders Mohammedan, have failed to set examples for youngsters. Bashar has only one half century in his tally of 170 in ten innings while Mashud (153 runs) has yet to reach the fifty-mark.

And the outcome has expectedly frustrated chief selector Faruque Ahmed. He thinks that it is not a good sign ahead of a very crucial home series against Sri Lanka in February-March.

"After a long break the national players got enough time to prove their worth in domestic competitions but it is very much frustrating that they have yet to play up to our expectation," said Faruque yesterday.

"I told the players after a poor series against Sri Lanka that they should take the opportunity to play domestic cricket and regain confidence. But I think they have hardly realised our demands. I'm not happy with their performance," said the former national skipper, who is also worried with injury problems.

The selectors had earlier told that domestic performance will be the key to get national calls but Faruque gave a diplomatic explanation about the issue.

"Yes, we have stuck to the idea but you should consider one thing that domestic cricket and international cricket are not same. We are very much conscious about some new performers but only one season's performance is not good enough to get the nod," he explained.

Faruque however was delighted with some under-19 boys' performance in the league after a successful tri-nation triumph at home.

"It is really encouraging. The way the boys played in the last few months is not so common in our cricket. They not only proved themselves at age-group levels but also carried it to the domestic scene," said a delighted Faruque mentioning names of Sakib Al Hasan, U-19 captain Mushfiqur Rahim and Shamsur Rahman Shuvo.

Sakib has already scored two half-centuries for Victoria in five matches and has taken eight wickets while Shamsur hogged the spotlight playing a superb 68-run innings for Mohammedan in their three-run defeat to DOHS.

The young players, however, will not be available for their clubs in the eleventh and the last round and the Super-Six as the Under-19 camp is expected to start on January 16 for the next Youth World Cup in Sri Lanka in February.

http://www.thedailystar.net/2006/01/10/d60110040228.htm

Anyone else (James90, Neil) got opinions on what the Test side will be for the Sri Lanka series.
My wild stab..

1 Javed Omar
2 Shahriar Nafees
3 Habibul Bashar (c)
4 Mohammad Ashraful
5/6 two of Alok Kapali OR Rajin Saleh OR Aftab Ahmed (currently injured) OR Ehsanul Haque
7 Khaled Mashud (w)
8 Mohammad Rafique
9 Mashrafe Mortaza
10/11 two of Shahadat, Tapash (if he is full recovered) Syed Rasel or Enamul Haque jnr

I'd go for Shahadat, Enamul, Alok and Ehsanul if I was selecting, but there aren't many batsmen if Aftab's out.

Would like to see some more of Mushfiqur or even Saqibul :p

... no, really they must look after the youngsters, too much early exposure could ruin them
AFAIK they've got the U19 WC in February

Last edited:

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Aftab Ahmed currently has Hepatitus B but I hope he'll return in time for the series. If he does then he'd be the obvious selection. Other than Aftab I hope they'd choose between Alok and Rajin. I think Rajin Saleh would be the other choice but if Aftab can't make it then I'd pick Alok. Having said that I wouldn't mind if Ehsanul got a recall.

Of the bowlers, on turning tracks I think you have to pick Enamul Haque Jnr. He's a match-winner and works very well alongside Mohammad Rafique. Despite recent poor performances from Tapash I think I'd still choose him ahead of Rasel or Shahadat. Tapash has generally done a good job and his experience is important. Shahadat I think is a very hot or cold player. He can be good but he can also be very very ordinary. For that reason I think I'd pick Rasel who is more of a consistent performer.

Fully fit XI
1. Javed Omar
2. Shahriah Nafees
3. Habibul Bashar
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Mohammad Ashraful
6. Rajin Saleh
7. Khaled Mashud
8. Mohammad Rafique
9. Mashrafe Mortaza
10. Tapash Baisya
11. Enamul Haque Jnr
-------------------------------
12. Syed Rasel
13. Alok Kapali
14. Ehsanul Haque
15. Shahadat Hossain

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Fully fit XI
1. Javed Omar
2. Shahriah Nafees
3. Habibul Bashar
4. Aftab Ahmed
5. Mohammad Ashraful
6. Rajin Saleh

7. Khaled Mashud
8. Mohammad Rafique
9. Mashrafe Mortaza
10. Tapash Baisya
11. Enamul Haque Jnr
Those three are in the reverse order to what they should be, IMO.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It does seem the best option. It's a little bit ropey seam bowling-wise, with Aftab as the third seamer, but the other option would be Rasel (I have never rated Shahadat), with Ash & Rajin providing spin cover - which isn't likely to be enough spin in Bangladesh, so I'm probably just rambling...

Jungle Jumbo

The main trouble is that the batting order is too weak to play a third seamer as an all-rounder (Mushfiqur Rahman has been tried), and that the bowling appears too weak to play with two seamers and two spinners. Going in with lots of bits and pieces players isn't going to work either.

The other problem is the pitches: spinning wickets would suit the Bangladeshis against the likes of NZ, SA, WI and England, but against the Asian nations and Warne, who have superior spin attacks, it could be a recipe for disaster. Neither can they produce a flattrack, nor a seamers pitch.

However if Muralitharan was to have something slipped into his coffee, then a crumbling wicket wouldn't be such a bad idea against Sri Lanka.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
Jungle Jumbo said:
However if Muralitharan was to have something slipped into his coffee, then a crumbling wicket wouldn't be such a bad idea against Sri Lanka.
You've been planning, havent you? 8-)

Jungle Jumbo

The final group games have been played...

DOHS beat City Club by 53 runs
DOHS 284-9 (50) Tikolo 98, Manjural Islam Rana 69; Kamrul Hasan 4-36
City Club 231 all out (48.3) Tushar Imran 41, Mehrab Hossain jnr 55, Farid Ahmed 36; Shafaq al Zabir 3-40, Khaled Mahmud 3-25 incl. hat-trick

Sonorgaon beat Victoria by 7 wickets
Victoria 94 all out (26.2) Saghir Hossain 45; Tapash Baisya 3-27, Mahbubal Alam 5 for 26
Sonorgaon 100-3 (25.4) Mohammad Ashraful 48*; Wascoroni Palash 3-30

Brothers beat Mohammedan by 5 wickets
Mohammedan 142-9 (41) Sandeep Sharma 59, Shuvo 3-20
Brothers 144-5 (37.4) Rashid Hanif 48, Marshall Ayub 41*

Orient beat Abahani by 3 wickets
Abahani 134 all out (39.3) Niamur Rashid 44; Bashar (not Habibul) 3-19
Orient 135-7 (36.4) Masumud Dowla 67*; Faisal Hossain 3-25

Indira beat Agrani by 3 wickets
Agrani 229 all out (46.4) Imtiaz Hossain 50, Raquibul Hasan 72; Murad Khan 4-27
Indira 231-7 (47.5) Rezaul Haque 43*, Nazmul Hossain 66, Sarkar 3-52

Points Table
Teams M W T L Pts
Old DOHS11 10 0 1 20
Victoria11 8 0 3 16
MSC 11 7 0 4 14
Sonargaon11 7 0 4 14
Brothers11 6 0 5 12
Biman 10 6 0 4 12

City Club 11 6 0 5 12
Kalabagan 10 4 0 6 8
Abahani 11 4 0 7 8

Indira 11 3 0 8 6
Agrani 11 3 0 8 6
Orient 11 1 0 10 2

Play offs between bottom three for relegation

Thanks to cricBD again.

AFAIK the NCL starts up for a bit again now, need to check that though.

Jungle Jumbo

Ok real drama tomorrow - I thought something was wrong.

Kalabagan v Biman was postponed because of fog - typical Bangladeshi weather
So they will replay tomorrow

City Club currently have 12pts, as do Biman.

If Biman win or the game is abandoned (there is one reserve day) then Biman go into super six
If Kalabagan win (unlikely) then City Club got through on head to head.

Let the (anti)climax unfold...

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably Nazmul Hossain Milon, a big hitting all-rounder from the under 19s. I don't think there's another Sarkar however.

Jungle Jumbo

Checked with TigerCricket.com, the Sarkar is Ripon Sarkar - that's why i didn't use his surname. James is right RE Nazmul.

Biman are through after beating Kalabagan convincingly in a 25 overs match - fog reduced the game again

Biman beat Kalabagan by 7 wickets
Kalabagan 105-8 (25) Mahububal Karim 34; Mosharraf Hossain 3-28
Biman 106-3 (24.1) Nazmus Sadat 41, Shahriar Hossain 47*

Jungle Jumbo

Bangladesh announce 34 fast bowlers for Pace Academy:

Mashrafe Mortaza
Tapash Baisya
Tareq Aziz
Shahadat Hossain
Anwar Hossain Monir
Talha Jubair
Syed Rasel
Nazmul Hossain
Kamrul Islam
Sajid Islam
Aslam Khan
Wascoroni Palash
Sirajullah Khadeem
Nazmul Hossain Milon
Shuvasish Roy
Robiul Islam
Zahidul Hasan
Mahububul Alam
Mohammad Mamun
Mohammad Azim
Dollar Mahmud
Mohammad Sharif
"Ashik"
Mukteer Ali
Rumman Islam
Rashid Khan
Shafaq Al Zabir
Ashiquzzaman
Shiran Sharif
Emon Ahmed
Mohammad Shazada
Hasibul Hossain
Manjural Islam
Gazi Alamgir

Mixture of full internationals, FC players and clubbies.

BCB has somehow organised the first practice for the same day of the first round of the super six of the DPL

Jungle Jumbo

Shahadat Hossain ruled out of Sri Lanka series with injury

BCB selection panel will announce 18 man training squad after Under-19 v UAE game on 22nd January

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Incredible stuff JJ. Top work.

How good is Nafees!? I really hope he succeeds this season.

Jungle Jumbo

Super Six Round 1

DOHS beat Brothers by 2 wickets
Brothers 279-7 (50) Nafees Iqbal 42, Rashid Hanif 61, MARSHALL AYUB 102; ABDUR RAZZAK 5-68
DOHS 281-8 (46.4) Farhad Reza 34, Steve Tikolo 41, Khaled Mahmud 71; Ziaur Rehman 3-49

Young Marshall smashes first hundred. Abdur (also hit 27 off 24) and Khaled in awesome form.

Mohammedan beat Biman by 13 runs
Mohammedan 246-4 (50) Hannan Sarkar 79, Habibul Bashar 85*, Khaled Mashud 45
Biman 233-6 (50) Nasmus Hossain 48, Shahriar Hossain 67, Javed Omar 62

Good to see Habibul and Javed in the runs. A return to form for Hannan?

Sonorgaon beat Victoria by 7 runs
Sonorgaon 252-9 (50) Al Sahariar 67, Anisur Rahman 63, Mohammad Rafique 44; Wascoroni Palash 3-59, Rizwan Qareshi 3-38
Victoria 245 all out (49.3) Faruque 52, Rizwan Qareshi 57; Mahububul Alam 3-53, Elias Sunny 3-50

The biggest surprise of the round. Elias Sunny has impressed so far this year - young SLA (as if Bangladesh haven't got enough!)