• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian to bat for your life

Batting for your life

• Don Bradman

Votes: 23 57.5%
  • Steve Waugh

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Alan Border

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Ian Chappell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Geoff Marsh

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ricky Ponting

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Beleg said:
archie,

bad wickets of Bradman's time equal to bad wickets of 80's/90's?
I doubt there is any comparison whatsoever.

Pitches in the old days were left uncovered, at the vagaries of the elements.

For me, it would have to be Bradman. Post WWII then either Geoff Boycott or Sunil Gavaskar. Post 1985, Justin Langer.

Edit: I forgot about it being 'Aussie to bat for my life', hence why I said Boycott or Gavaskar.

On second thoughts, I'm a Pom which means that in batting to save my life, any self-respecting Aussie would get out for a duck.

Last edited:

Beleg

International Regular
I doubt there is any comparison whatsoever.

Pitches in the old days were left uncovered, at the vagaries of the elements.
Exactly. You cannot consider Bradman's performance at those pitches to be the equal of 80's/90's batsmen's performance at what are called 'bad pitches' of that time. Those batsmen would probably fare much worse if they were asked to play (on those pitches) in Bradman's era.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wouldn't trust any current Aussie to bat for my life. I would, however, trust Steve Waugh with my life and that of my family.

Slifer

International Captain
Ok if Bradman was taken out it would be Steven Roger Waugh no doubt. Love that guy!!! And if i had to chose a bowler to bowl for my life it would be one of MCgrath and M. Marshall.

archie mac

International Coach
Beleg said:
archie,

bad wickets of Bradman's time equal to bad wickets of 80's/90's?
You have a point, I think we will just consider Bradman a freak and award the winner to the player coming in 2nd. With the other teams, I think only post WWll players will be considered.

Although we will let the 'Notts Express' keep bowling. :)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
other than bradman, it has to be the 3rd best ever aussie batsman, allan border...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well i've never seen the Don bat other than a few clips on video so i'm a bit tentative to say him even though he averages 99. But i saw a whole lot of Steve Waugh & i'd definately let him bat for my life. But currently i'd may have to Ponting..

SquidAU

First Class Debutant
aussie said:
But currently i'd may have to Ponting..
I don't think Ponting has done enough of the 'gritty' innings to be counted in a poll such as this one.

Gilchrist has done a few fighting innings in his time.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats a motley crowd if ever their was one. Those who included Ponting put in Bradman only because it cant be helped I suppose :sleep:

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Border or Waugh...both batted in an era where Australia struggled with the bat (Border more-so than Waugh), and were relied upon to get us out of trouble on many occasions.

Bradman had some great batsman playing with him so I couldnt rightly put him at #1.

I would feel safe knowing that Steve Waugh was batting for my life...he's was a fighter, he was mentally and physically tough as nails.

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Bradman wouldn't stand a chance once andys spears pour through, and waqars reverse swingers come in to play. Since this is fantasy, we are to assume all these players are in their prime, and andy + waqar would be devastating in their prime.

archie mac

International Coach
Okay as Bradman has been axed because of super human batting :D Steve Waugh is declared the winner!

I will do England to bat for your life next, any suggestions on the players to be included?

I was dirty on myself for leaving out Langer from the Australian choices. The Englishmen I was thinking of were Hutton, Boycott, Barrington and Atherton, but need six and I am happy to leave any of these four out?

The players must have played Test cricket after WWll

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I would like to choose a batsman who is least likely to throw his wicket away and some one whom I have seen considerably if I have to chose a player to bat for my life.

From Australians Steve Waugh is the man.