• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Sir Vivian Richards - master or myth?

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The one thing about these guys who did not have athelete bods from the 90s and the noughties is that while it is true that they are not gonna save runs and cut off boundaries etc., they all seemed good to great catchers, especially close in in tests etc. Somehow the current generation look so much more athletic but put down so many basic catches in the close in areas in tests.

Gob

International Coach
I was looking for a thread to mark his 70th birthday today (7th March 2022) without starting a new one or just putting it in the "doesn't deserve it's own thread" thread - I might as well use my own old thread. :tooth:

Happy Birthday Viv. Still yet to see a better batsman.
Sobers?

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The only major innings of Sobers I saw in full on TV was a century at Lords in 1973. It was a decent century, but Bernard Julian made a similar one, which indicated it wasn’t the most trying of conditions.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The only major innings of Sobers I saw in full on TV was a century at Lords in 1973. It was a decent century, but Bernard Julian made a similar one, which indicated it wasn’t the most trying of conditions.
I was thinking exactly the same thing about Bernard Julien's knock in that innings. Like you, 1973 was the first time I saw WI play and the only time I saw Sobers. With all due respect the the great man, he wasn't even the greatest batsman in that WI side at that moment in time; Clive Lloyd being the outstanding performer imo.