• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia

magsi23

U19 Debutant
Jamee999 said:
Am I the only one that sees a Kemp-Pietersen thing?

South African kid, plays well in ODI's, dominates teams, then gets called up for a series against Australia.

No me too

howardj

International Coach
Jamee999 said:
Am I the only one that sees a Kemp-Pietersen thing?

South African kid, plays well in ODI's, dominates teams, then gets called up for a series against Australia.
Likewise, am I the only one that sees a Boje-Giles thing?

A left-arm dart thrower; on the wrong side of 30; averages in the high thirties with the ball; and then gets retained for a series against Australia. :)

Last edited:

magsi23

U19 Debutant
howardj said:

A left-arm dart thrower; on the wrong side of 30; averages in the high thirties with the ball; and then gets retained for a series against Australia. :)

lol

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
howardj said:
So Boje to be given a role in the side, to perform it and SA to win the series then.

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
howardj said:

boje is a matchwinner with bat ball or in the feild for south africa hes atletic and exciting batsman and on a pitch that offers a biot of assistance wearing at sydney and maybe even melbourne he will be very effective.

giles doesnt even bowl around the wicket to the elft handers like boje does. He has been an asset for south africa since 96 when he made his debut hes survived a decade in international cricket.

He deserves a lot more credit than ppl give him.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
My Aussie team for the first Test @ the WACA:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting*
M Hussey
Clarke
Hodge
Gilchrist +
Warne
Lee
Bracken
McGrath

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:

Langer
Hayden
Ponting*
M Hussey
Clarke
Hodge
Gilchrist +
Warne
Lee
Bracken
McGrath
hmm, well yea Clarke could probably come back into the side even though Ponting has Symo's backing. But it will be interesting to see what the selectors do if Symonds does well in NZ on the back of Clarke double ton.

Also i would keep a close on Dizzy performance between now and the 1st test since Australia are likely to pick a 3rd seamer their. South Australia have 2 OD games & a pura cup match during the NZ series. If Dizzy bowls well i would be tempted to have in back over Bracken.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain

Langer
Hayden
Ponting*
MEK Hussey
Lehmann
Symonds
Gilchrist +
Warne
Lee
Bracken/Gillespie
McGrath

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
People are suggesting bringing in Clarke. But it is very unlikely at the cost of Symonds. or a 5th bowling option.

The Australian selectors are likely to go with any of the below three options for future tests.

1) Two seamers, two spinners and a part time medium bowler like Symonds.
2) 5 full time bowlers including 3 pacers.
3) 3 seamers and a spinner with a part time spinning bowler.

Right now the major concern for Australia is not to set their batting right but to get the mix right with their bowling. Else there was little chance of Symonds making the team in the first place.

Last edited:

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Why do you need Symonds in the Test team at the WACA? Six batsmen, Gilly, a spinner, and three pacemen is a pretty good balance in my opinion. Also, Clarke is in form and Symonds isn't.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Pratyush said:
People are suggesting bringing in Clarke. But it is very unlikely at the cost of Symonds. or a 5th bowling option.

The Australian selectors are likely to go with any of the below three options:

1) Two seamers, two spinners and a part time medium bowler like Symonds.
2) 5 full time bowlers including 3 pacers.
3) 3 spinners and a seamer with a part time spinning bowler.

Right now the major concern for Australia is not to set their batting right but to get the mix right with their bowling. Else there was little chance of Symonds making the team in the first place.
Well now that Martyn is dropped & Dizzy & Tait are out of the team i would say Australia have equal concern about the right mix of their batting & bowling. Looking at the 3 options that you have their to me its extremely unlikely that the selectors would go for either for the perth test.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
Also, Clarke is in form and Symonds isn't.
Thats the missleading thing with Pup ATM, before the 1st test vs WI he had that big 178 vs South Australia & i thought he was in form but when he played in the test it was a different story. Now he scored his big 200 & ppl are calling for his return, Symo may not be in form, but i think for Symo its all about adapting to playing test cricket. Give him the SA series & if he doesn't come good relegating mainly to the OD side & then we could get Pup or Martyn (based on pura cup runs) back in their.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Who would you rather give time to adapt to Test cricket: Clarke or Symonds? Symonds offers nothing to the team. His bowling lacks penetration and his batting has looked ordinary in all four Tests he has played. What's the point of an all-rounder when he is not up to scratch with bat or ball?

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
burkey_1988 said:
Who would you rather give time to adapt to Test cricket: Clarke or Symonds? Symonds offers nothing to the team. His bowling lacks penetration and his batting has looked ordinary in all four Tests he has played. What's the point of an all-rounder when he is not up to scratch with bat or ball?
He brings character and spirit. And he can bowl seam-ups.

Every court needs a jester. Every team needs a Clown.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
ClownSymonds said:
He brings character and spirit. And he can bowl seam-ups.

Every court needs a jester. Every team needs a Clown.
Langer can bowl seam-ups, doesn't mean he's any good :p

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
aussie said:
Looking at the 3 options that you have their to me its extremely unlikely that the selectors would go for either for the perth test.
I made a typing mistake in the 3rd option. 3rd option would be the way Australia would go in Perth in all likelihood. There is an underdog chance of going for the 2nd option.

3 seamers, a spinner and a 5th spin bowling option from a batsman.

Which batsmen would fall into the category of bowling ocassional 5th bowler spin?

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
I made a typing mistake in the 3rd option. 3rd option would be the way Australia would go in Perth in all likelihood. There is an underdog chance of going for the 2nd option.

3 seamers, a spinner and a 5th spin bowling option from a batsman.

Which batsmen would fall into the category of bowling ocassional 5th bowler spin?
Clarke or Katich, who aren't currently in the team. I wouldn't think they'd bowl much at Perth anyway.