• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in Australia

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I was about to say "and again" when Bracken needlessly slashed at a wide wide ball to leave one of the game's better hitters (Lee) with just one partner but McGrath's dismissal beat me to it.

A truly pathetic performance.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Phenomenal bowling figures for Nel: 17.2-3-29-3. Pretty lousy batting effort really. It's a shame Kallis isn't playing as RSA would fancy their chances of a big lead otherwise. They definitely need a big score from one of their top three, but should be able to manage a first-innings lead regardless.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Another Inzyesque dismissal on the cards? (Avoiding the ball to prevent injury)

No, this time the 3rd umpire makes the right decision.

Slow Love™

International Captain
Jono said:
Another Inzyesque dismissal on the cards? (Avoiding the ball to prevent injury)

No, this time the 3rd umpire makes the right decision.
I couldn't really follow the reasoning in the commentary booth on this one.

My understanding was that, once you've grounded your bat, providing you're not attempting another run, you're safe. If you want to jump in the air afterwards, it shouldn't matter. Am I wrong about this?

I would have thought that the "Inzy Situation" would only have come into play should he not have already grounded his bat across the line.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Great day for South Africa, well on top in this game. Australia will have to fight back well.

social

Well the end of a day where SA are well on top.

However, as the most biased of SA supporters (Tony Greig) said, "the Aussies hardly excelled themselves."

**** poor performance really.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
social said:
Well batted Aus!

Ponting wins the toss and bats in perfect bowling conditions
Hayden pulls a length ball straight up in the air
Langer- ditto
Hussey - ditto
Hodge edges a near wide
Gilchrist steers a rank long-hop to slip

Somebody tell them Xmas is Dec 25

This is the Ashes all over again
calm down, geez :dry:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well great bowling dispaly from SA today but it wasn't all good bowling some rash shots in the top order via evryone except Ponting n Symo IMO, while the form of Gilchrist now is becoming a worry no question.

Australia have theri work cut out tommorow and for the rest of the summer but i'll back them...

andyc

Shocking last few sessions there for Australia. Nel and Pollock bowled well, and while Ntini did as well, I don't really think he deserved a 5-for, he didn't seem to be doing much special. But, well played to South Africa. Some horrendous shot selection from Langer, Hayden and especially Gilchrist.

Blaze

Banned
andyc said:
Shocking last few sessions there for Australia. Nel and Pollock bowled well, and while Ntini did as well, I don't really think he deserved a 5-for, he didn't seem to be doing much special. But, well played to South Africa. Some horrendous shot selection from Langer, Hayden and especially Gilchrist.

I disagree. I thought Ntini was outstanding. He bowled consistantly well and got his reward. His first spell was pretty good without much reward I thought.

andyc

Blaze said:
I disagree. I thought Ntini was outstanding. He bowled consistantly well and got his reward. His first spell was pretty good without much reward I thought.
I think his third spell was definetely a good one, but his first was somewhat erratic. He was consistent though, I guess I was just being a bit harsh because he didn't seem to be doing all that much with the ball. 'Twas a good bouncer he landed on Ponting though!

Slow Love™

International Captain
Best moment of commentary all afternoon was when Graeme Smith was holding onto Ntini and patting and rubbing him on the head after a wicket, and Tony Grieg excitedly blurted "Well, that's marvellous! Something you wouldn't have seen in the old South Africa!".

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Jesus Christ! I wake up to find Australia all out for under 300 within the first day, and who took they wickets? Dog! This is what happens to a team that drops a good many of its best players, I suppose.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
cricket_fan23 said:
To anyone that saw both, was the Langveldt dropped catch worse than Shoaib Akhtars in yesterdays ODI Vs Eng?
I kind of felt sorry for him then...**** bowling day for himself then he does that