• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Crowe quits, Slater signs on

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Martin Crowe has quit the Sky Sports commentary team and Michael Slater will take up his position for the entire NZ season.

Crowe apparently wants to remain behind the scenes, but wants to see his daughter more often so he's cutting back on work.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Now they just need to find replacements for Morrison & Larsen. How terrible is that sky sports ad with Mark Richardson?

Macka

U19 Vice-Captain
What a loss. At least Crowe had something with content to actually say, unlike the others minus Coney and Smith. I hope this isn't a prelude to Crowe leaving cricket in New Zealand and going overseas. I still think he has a lot to offer.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I thought Adam Parore had potential, but he has only done 2 or 3 games and then he disappeared.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Awesome news! Can't stand Crowe's commentary and Slats is fantastic. With Coney and Richardson too this is actually starting to resemble a quality commentary team.

Blaze

Banned
"Heavens to betsy"

"Good gracious mavis"

I am actually a little annoyed at this decision. Crowe has a great cricket brain, and when he wasn't trying to sound entertaining actually spoke a lot of sense and bought up a lot of good issues whilst commentating.

AndrewM

U19 12th Man
Voltman said:
Don't forget:

"Holy Cow!"
When particularly on fire, it's "Holy Cow and whackady do" :D

I agree with most of you, he does have a good cricketing brain and speaks alot of sense. He provided balance on the commentary team with his batting knowledge and critique, because the rest are bowlers. He and Ian Smith together i enjoyed the most, however Coney and Smith are probably my favourite combination.

Crowe did add a slightly angry-sounding "Hoohoo" in recent times which did bother me occasionally. It would occur when a boundary was hit.

I don't like Richardson up there, he is still too fresh out of the game IMO.

Slater was thoroughly enjoyable, i'm glad he is being retained for the Chappell-Hadlee.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well, from what I can gather he'll also be commentating the Sri Lankan & West Indian series too...plus maybe a bit of the State Shield.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Agree with Blaze and AndrewM here. Crowe does sound like an idiot when he's trying to be like Bill Lawry and get all hyped up when someone hits a six, but when he's just analysing the game he's pretty good IMO.

Good to here about Slater. I quite liked his commentary in the Ashes, and also from last time he was over here. A bit of confusion though - is he here just for the Chappell-Hadlee series or for the whole summer?

Edit: Hopefully you're right Tim

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I was at the sky sport studios the day that was filmed. It's a terrible ad!