• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya Axed For Tests Against India

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I can't believe Gunawardene got selected over Vandort or Ian Daniel, what a joke.

Never heard of Chamara Kapugedera, must have done something special at U19 and school boy level.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
I can't believe Gunawardene got selected over Vandort or Ian Daniel, what a joke.

Never heard of Chamara Kapugedera, must have done something special at U19 and school boy level.
I don't think he even played at the SL U-19 tour of England this summer...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Adamc said:
Lara always seems to be struggling with a finger injury. Actually, that might be Chanderpaul, I forget. :blink:
Lara hurt his little finger in that game against Victoria, that is why he didn't field at the slips in the first test. And yeah, Chanders is the one who has ring fingers......

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Arjun said:
What if this was a one-day side? Then it wouldn't be too bad.
Nah Chamara Silva and Lanka de Silva aren't good enough to play ODIs or Test IMO. So you still only have four batsmen good enough to play International Cricket. A side for the future would look something like this IMO:
U Tharanga
I Daniel (M Vandort - ODIs)
C Kapugedera
K Sangakkara (wk)
M Jayawardene
T Samarawerra (F Maharoof - ODIs)
T Dilshan
C Vaas
M Muralitharan
D Fernando
L Malinga

dinu23

International Debutant
Neil Pickup said:
I'm not even sure Vandort and Daniel count as batsmen.
why is that?
is 80 FC matches at 35 and 56 OD matches at 43 below your standards? 8-)

dinu23

International Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
Nah Chamara Silva and Lanka de Silva aren't good enough to play ODIs or Test IMO. So you still only have four batsmen good enough to play International Cricket. A side for the future would look something like this IMO:
U Tharanga
I Daniel (M Vandort - ODIs)
C Kapugedera
K Sangakkara (wk)
M Jayawardene
T Samarawerra (F Maharoof - ODIs)
T Dilshan
C Vaas
M Muralitharan
D Fernando
L Malinga
i'd put kalawitigoda instead of Daniel. and i'm not sure about kapugedara, have to wait and see how he goes.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
i'd put kalawitigoda instead of Daniel. and i'm not sure about kapugedara, have to wait and see how he goes.
How has Kalawitigoda form been since the NZ tour, i didn't recall him scoring too many runs in the last Sri Lanka A Series?

dinu23

International Debutant
i don't know about his current form, but comparing daniel and kalawitigoda, the latter has a better record.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
JASON said:
I have just read the Test squad and was pleased that Vaas has been made Vice Captain.

Vaas and Murali are the only two guys in the Team who give 100% all the time even when conditions are adverse and the Team is really down. Vaas's elevation probably reflects a recognition of his hard work and contribution to the Team over several years.

It also sends a key message to Little Mahela that future Captaincy (after Marvan) is not guaranteed and that there are others equally capable of taking over the Captaincy (which must include Sangakkara and of course Murali) .

The selection of Avishka Gunawardene and Chamara Kapugedera are very puzzling.

Avishka is one of those lucky cricketers in SL who has made himself a career out of being an eternal Fringe player. He has been an eternal under performer and under achiever for over 7-8 years but despite this, by keeping the powers that be at SL cricket well oiled :D he has remained a recurrent feature of A teams and by scoring heavily against the likes of Bangla and Windies A teams and other weak A teams, has made himself a little career as an eternal (satisfied) fringe Team player. But whenever he has been given an opportunity in Tests or ODIs he has always failed and been found wanting.

Despite this he gets another oppotunity at Test level at the expense of Jayasuriya. :D

The selection of an 18 year old by the long name of Kapugedera into the Test Team from oblivion means that he is well connected and has the right backers to get him there with ease where others have repeatedly knocked on the door and been refused entry or kept waiting .

Lets hope he can be an even better surprise package than his selection was. :D

Jason, I'm alittle intrigued as to why Sanga has not been made vice captain.
I know it would be a heavy load for him but it does eem to me that he is SL'
s best bet as future captain.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
jamesryfler said:
Jason, I'm alittle intrigued as to why Sanga has not been made vice captain.
I know it would be a heavy load for him but it does eem to me that he is SL'
s best bet as future captain.
I have to agree that he is a better option as the next long Term Captaincy option over Mahela .

But that IMHO would come at the expense of losing him as a keeper and finding another wicket keeper.

Because, regardless of how good he may be, Captaincy plus being the leading batsman of the Team and Wicket keeping cannot all go together and will lead to him becoming a failure in more than one area (likely to be Batting that would fail first) !!

There are other good wicket keepers in SL but I am not sure the way SL batting strength is ATM, that SL can afford a keeper for keeping sake alone (despite being below average batter - a la Boucher / Reid category ).

For this reason alone I would not give Sangakkara the Captaincy from a selfish SL point of view, for SL has a lot to gain from getting the best out of his Batting and keeping and until a suitable keeper (with moderate batting potential) comes by, I would not want SL cricket to go down the route of making him Captain.

If such a keeper does emerge in SL, then there is little doubt who would be the best choice for Captaincy .

SL until then must toy with Mahela and try and make a more responsible batsman and Captain out of him.

Last edited:

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Whats the standard of Upul Tharanga keeping, i heard he was only as good as Dilshan. Hopefully i have heard wrong, cus if his keeping is up to international standard, then he would be perfect for that role.