• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya Axed For Tests Against India

dinu23

International Debutant
I totally agree with u SJS, but how long will he last? I really don't think he will be around till the 2007 WC. so we need to find a replacement for Sana. I just hope this is a blessing in disguise.

shaka

International Regular
Jayasuriya according to cricinfo will be in the side, so the story must be a bit dodgy

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
Technique flaws that were found out in A matches and domestic cricket after his first Test against Bangla. All reports say that he has fixed these errors in his game.
But he was averaging over 39 and yet he didn't make the Lankan A-team, while all those batsmen who did averaged in the low/mid 20's.

One fan who highlighted this was livid and even went on to say that the selectors look at region, school and other attributes rather than skill to pick these team. I'm sure most Lankan fans would agree with that if they looked at the A-team selection.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Wonder how this selection would look-
  • Vandort
  • Ian Daniel
  • Sangakkara
  • Dilshan
  • Chamara Silva
  • Lanka de Silva (WK)
  • Maharoof (RFM)
  • Zoysa (LFM)/Mirando (LFM)
  • Vaas (LFM)
  • Muralitharan (OB)
  • Dilhara Fernando (RFM)
With reserves Chandana, Samaraweera and one more batsman.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
chaminda_00 said:
IMO if Vandort was in the squad then they probably woud have played him. The fact that they haven't played Thilan Samarawerra infront of him, shows they don't really rely on him as batsmen in ODIs.

On Russel Arnold i would be kind of surprised if he isn't also dropped. He did start his domestic career as a opener, but you would think that the three mentioned above would be infront of him as a option for opening the batting in Tests.
How about Saman Jayantha, think he is an opener too. why was he not picked?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
I hear Lara is struggling with a finger injury as well in Australia. I hope the same doesn't happen to him.
Lara always seems to be struggling with a finger injury. Actually, that might be Chanderpaul, I forget. :blink:

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Arjun said:
  • Vandort
  • Ian Daniel
  • Sangakkara
  • Dilshan
  • Chamara Silva
  • Lanka de Silva (WK)
  • Maharoof (RFM)
  • Vaas (LFM)
  • Muralitharan (OB)
  • Dilhara Fernando (RFM)
Very all out very quickly.

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Jono said:
Chesterfield is a reliable source, so though I haven't seen it on any reputable website yet I think it should be true. If this is the case, wow that is huge.

With all due respect to Sanath, he's no Lara and never has been. I really doubt Lara would be dropped before he retired. Particularly with the rate of batting collapses in the WI in recent times. That being said, Lara isn't above the game and stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't exactly worry about that.
Hi jono,
here is a link if you want info from extremely reliable source. its up on bbc.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/other_international/sri_lanka/4427534.stm
cheers

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I know, its on cricinfo too :p

Also why have they demoted Jayawardene from vice-captain, giving it to Vaas? I see no real reason for it, nothing that stands out.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
hmm very strange decison by Sri Lanka no doubt, lets hope they know what they are doing...

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Arjun said:
  • Vandort
  • Ian Daniel
  • Sangakkara
  • Dilshan
  • Chamara Silva
  • Lanka de Silva (WK)
  • Maharoof (RFM)
  • Vaas (LFM)
  • Muralitharan (OB)
  • Dilhara Fernando (RFM)
I think the SL selectors are typical knee jerk reaction fools !!

Afterall they waited for Jayasuriya to fail all these ODIs before dropping him !! :D

When they very well could've dropped him after the 3rd or 4th ODI and brought in some of the younger guys across from SL. India is only few hours by Flight . Why they couldn't do that I have no idea.

But now if they go really stupid and make whole sale changes from the Test Team because of ODI performances , they are even more stupidder than I thought !! :D

This Jayasuriya thing was long time coming . And it was plain to see for anyone following SL cricket that it was coming by sooner rather than later.
Only the fools at SL cricket were slow to pick it up !
Tom Moody as coach seems a bit slow to pick these things as well, and I doubt very much his tenure as SL cricket coach will last long . * may end before the 2007 WC by the way things turn out in NZ and Australia this summer *

As far as Test squad goes,
Van Dort or Ian Daniel should open with Atapattu in Tests.

So the team should look like this -

Van Dort/Daniel
Atapattu
Tharanga
Sangakkara
Samaraweera
Jayawardene
Dilshan
Vaas
Weerakoon (spinner) or Bandara
Murali
Malinga

Chandana and Herath are likely to get caned in India and I have grave fears if they are included as the second spinner for Tests in India.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I would be interested to see if the new comers get a run in the Indian Test Team over guys like VVS . Particularly Dhoni and whether Ganguly finds his way back into the Test Team .

Also interested to see if RP Singh, Sree Santh or Yadav get a Test Cap .

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I have just read the Test squad and was pleased that Vaas has been made Vice Captain.

Vaas and Murali are the only two guys in the Team who give 100% all the time even when conditions are adverse and the Team is really down. Vaas's elevation probably reflects a recognition of his hard work and contribution to the Team over several years.

It also sends a key message to Little Mahela that future Captaincy (after Marvan) is not guaranteed and that there are others equally capable of taking over the Captaincy (which must include Sangakkara and of course Murali) .

The selection of Avishka Gunawardene and Chamara Kapugedera are very puzzling.

Avishka is one of those lucky cricketers in SL who has made himself a career out of being an eternal Fringe player. He has been an eternal under performer and under achiever for over 7-8 years but despite this, by keeping the powers that be at SL cricket well oiled :D he has remained a recurrent feature of A teams and by scoring heavily against the likes of Bangla and Windies A teams and other weak A teams, has made himself a little career as an eternal (satisfied) fringe Team player. But whenever he has been given an opportunity in Tests or ODIs he has always failed and been found wanting.

Despite this he gets another oppotunity at Test level at the expense of Jayasuriya. :D

The selection of an 18 year old by the long name of Kapugedera into the Test Team from oblivion means that he is well connected and has the right backers to get him there with ease where others have repeatedly knocked on the door and been refused entry or kept waiting .

Lets hope he can be an even better surprise package than his selection was. :D

Last edited: