• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Jayasuriya Axed For Tests Against India

neutralguy

U19 Debutant
Finally it looks like curtains for jayasuriya, the tormentor of india for the last 10 years from 1996 world cup. The lanka selectors have ran out of patience and had axed him for the forthcoming tests against india according to the article in indian express today by trevor chesterfield..
Looks like more countries are taking the bold decisions of dropping big players thereby proving that nobody is bigger than the game. With jayasuriya threat not looming for tests india can breathe a little bit easy . :cool:

Hit4Six

U19 Debutant
personally im a big sanath fan and its a shame to see him on his way down, i miss the days when he really was one of the most feared batsmen around.

Sanath if you ever read this: as an Indian supporter you were our nemesis. As a cricket fan, i hope you can get back to the team becaue you are a lankan legend. :cool:

Natman20

International Debutant
Ive only seen him play a few times in the last few years when i went to matches but he didnt get started at all.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Micheal Vandort, Ian Daniel and Tharanga have all been groomed in the A side to replace him and Atapattu. There is also Vithana boys that have come through the under 19s.

dinu23

International Debutant
must say i'm not sorry to hear this, he has been pretty ordinary this year. and there's no way he would've made it to the 2007 WC. so now 's the chance to blood a new opener, preferebly Vandort.

Craig

World Traveller
Geez how long ago did Vandort last play for Sri Lanka? 3 or 4 years ago?

What has happened to him or has he become the forgotten man of Sri Lankan cricket?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Technique flaws that were found out in A matches and domestic cricket after his first Test against Bangla. All reports say that he has fixed these errors in his game.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Cant say who is really responsible for this sorry affair.

Jayasuriya was clearly not fit after his injury. He should have been rested. It is really sad that insisting on continuing with him while he was unfit and struggling with form has resulted in such a situation that he has to be treated in a manner that would have been avoided if he as wqel as Team Sri Lanka had not been so short sighted.

A tragedy that it happened like this.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
IMO if Vandort was in the squad then they probably woud have played him. The fact that they haven't played Thilan Samarawerra infront of him, shows they don't really rely on him as batsmen in ODIs.

On Russel Arnold i would be kind of surprised if he isn't also dropped. He did start his domestic career as a opener, but you would think that the three mentioned above would be infront of him as a option for opening the batting in Tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Chesterfield is a reliable source, so though I haven't seen it on any reputable website yet I think it should be true. If this is the case, wow that is huge.
honestbharani said:
I hear Lara is struggling with a finger injury as well in Australia. I hope the same doesn't happen to him.
With all due respect to Sanath, he's no Lara and never has been. I really doubt Lara would be dropped before he retired. Particularly with the rate of batting collapses in the WI in recent times. That being said, Lara isn't above the game and stranger things have happened, but I wouldn't exactly worry about that.

dinu23

International Debutant
yeah, arnold came in as an opener. but he really cant handle the swing and bounce of the new ball, especially in australia and england against good opposition..

Last edited: