• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Players of a particular shot...

Barney Rubble

International Coach
aussie said:
ramp whats that? :mellow:
When the 'keeper's standing up to a medium-pacer and a short ball arrives, the batsman leans back and lifts the ball directly over the 'keeper's head for four, or more often six. Trescothick plays it when he's playing aggressively, as do players like Stuart Law and occasionally Gilchrist, I think.

cricketboy29

International Regular
when you ramp it down to third man, and for the cover drive, i think it would most certainly be Dravid for me, at least. He just looks good, while executing that shot, and the forward defence. Oh, and the shot where he pats the ball down, and then starts to run :p

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Barney Rubble said:
When the 'keeper's standing up to a medium-pacer and a short ball arrives, the batsman leans back and lifts the ball directly over the 'keeper's head for four, or more often six. Trescothick plays it when he's playing aggressively, as do players like Stuart Law and occasionally Gilchrist, I think.
oh thats shot, well in that case i think Ponting is a worthy mention for that shot...

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Never-before-seen baseball-style smash down the ground off Brett Lee at 95mph: Pietersen
Y'know, just because you've never seen it done, doesn't mean it's never been done. I've got Viv on video playing a similar shot over mid-off off Sylvester Clarke (as quick as anyone) except Viv made it look like it was easy. :D

Okay, I've got a few weird choices so bear with me.

Forward defence: Steve Waugh
Backward defence: Sachin
Late cut: Mike Atherton
Square cut: Boonie!
Back-foot cover drive: Martin Love
Front-foot cover drive: Geoff Marsh (don't laugh; I mean, if it was your only shot, you'd be good at it too)
Square drive: Ritchie Richardson
Lofted front-foot cover drive: Viv
Straight drive: Viv
Lofted straight drive: Viv
On-drive: Laxman or Sachin
General slog over mid-wicket: Afridi
Leg glance: Mark Waugh
Sweep: Dean Jones
Reverse Sweep: A Flower
Slog Sweep: Steve Waugh
Pull: Ponting or Viv
Hook: Ritchie Richardson
Footwork: Mark Waugh

sqwerty

U19 Cricketer
Steve Waugh invented the slog sweep so he's gotta be no. 1

Ponting definitely best hooker....I wouldn't say ALL legside shots though - can be an LBW candidate - just looks good when it comes off.

Mark Waugh - best on drive/leg glance with Laxman

Brett Lee - best 7 iron over cow corner

Top_Cat

Steve Waugh invented the slog sweep so he's gotta be no. 1
Evidently you missed the series between Australia and India in about 1998 when Sachin played it with amazing ease to Warnie, knocking him into the stands a few times in the process. Not to mention that Waugh has said on quite a few occasions that Sachin playing that shot inspired him to give it a go himself.

I know of few other players who played it with the same regularity as Waugh did but he definitely didn't invent it.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Straight drive: Sachin,Viv,S Fleming,T Samaraweera
Lofted straight drive: Viv
On-drive: Laxman,Sachin,Sehwag
General slog over mid-wicket: Gilchrist,Afridi
Leg glance: Laxman,Azharuddin,Daryll Cullinan
Sweep: Lara
Reverse Sweep: A Flower
Slog Sweep: Steve Waugh
Pull: H Gibbs, Ponting, Hooper
Hook: Mohinder Amarnath
Footwork against spinners: Navjot Sidhu, LaraForward defence: Dravid
Backward defence: Sachin
Late cut: Sachin
Square cut: Sehwag,Nathan Astle
Back-foot cover drive: Sachin
Front-foot cover drive: Atapattu
Square drive: Sehwag
Lofted front-foot cover drive: Viv,Carl Hooper

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Top_Cat said:
Evidently you missed the series between Australia and India in about 1998 when Sachin played it with amazing ease to Warnie, knocking him into the stands a few times in the process. Not to mention that Waugh has said on quite a few occasions that Sachin playing that shot inspired him to give it a go himself.

I know of few other players who played it with the same regularity as Waugh did but he definitely didn't invent it.
I thought Hansie Cronje was the first to try it on a regular basis.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
C_C said:
If we are talking hook, none of the current players - not a single one of them- compare to players like Greg Chappell, Viv, Kanhai, Sobers, Gavaskar, Kallicharan, etc. Simply because in the bygone days, the hook shot was a far more commonly played stroke than today and was mastered to a far better degree.
Actually, C_C, with most captains setting the field with two guys back there for the hook these days, not many guys choose to play it. Back in the 60s and 70s, Sunny Gavaskar said that even though more guys were on the leg side, they were generally closer or in the circle, not in the deep as today.

Top_Cat

I thought Hansie Cronje was the first to try it on a regular basis.
I wasn't saying Tendy invented it either, though from re-reading my post, that appears what I was saying. I was just saying that Steve Waugh didn't.

Probably the first player I saw play it was Dean Jones. He never played it as regularly as, say, Sachin, Cronje, etc. though.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
FaaipDeOiad said:
I think Hayden has a fair case for the straight drive, if you're judging it on effecitveness rather than appeal, as it's the basis for a significant part of his run scoring power.

The late cut is Martyn's shot in world cricket today, I think. He cuts very well in general, both in front of and behind point.
Mahela Jayawardene deserves a mention for the late cut.

ClownSymonds

U19 Vice-Captain
Eclipse said:
Cut Shot: Shewag / Gilchrist
Leg glance : Laxman?
Off drive: No sure SRT of old used to play it well
Slog Sweep: Tresco maybe?
Best footwork to spinners: Clarke and Lara
Straight sixes and lofted drives: Flintoff, Gayle, Symonds
Late cut: ????

And what player do you think has the best trademark shot that they play better than anyone when in full flow?
Cut Shot: Martyn
Leg glance : Ponting
Off drive: Kallis
Slog Sweep: Afridi
Best footwork to spinners: Not Clarke
Straight sixes and lofted drives: Afridi, Symonds
Late cut: Martyn

And what player do you think has the best trademark shot that they play better than anyone when in full flow?

Ponting - Pull

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
ramkumar_gr said:
Inside Out shot over extra cover : Ajay Jadeja
Craig MacMillan would have a claim to that as well. He's the only one Ive seen that didnt make the shot look really awkward.

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm keeping it to current players cos otherwise the list becomes pretty meaningless. I'll go clockwise around the field....

Straight Drive: Tendulkar bar none. When he plays that shot, the bat just stops DEAD. No follow through whatsoever, and it just looks so damn brilliant.
Lofted Shot over the bowlers head: Not sure about this one. Maybe Hayden, Cairns....
Front foot Cover Drive: Lara, Michael Vaughan
Back Foot Cover drive: Tendulkar. His shot against Wasim Akram in the 2003 World Cup was HEAVENLY.
Lofted Cover Drive: Andrew Symonds. I once remember Fleming placing 3 fielders at extra cover to block this shot from Symonds.
Square Drive: Lara for flair, Justin Langer for effectiveness, Sourav Ganguly for majestic ease.
Cut: Adam Gilchrist. No contest.
Late Cut: Damien Martyn.
Uppercut over Third Man: Virender Sehwag.
Single down to Third Man: Kallis. He's got a really unique style of playing this shot which means he never gets caught behind playing it.
Reverse Sweep: Andy Flower first, second, third.....99th.....
Forward Defence: Kallis. Technically perfect and so good to watch.
Backfoot Defense: Martyn. Beaaauuuuuuutiful and so pure.
Ducking against bouncers Tendulkar. Just makes it look so easy.
Paddle Sweep: Tendulkar.
Normal Sweep: Hayden.
Slog Sweep: Steve Waugh.
'Ramp': Douglas Marrilier, Brendon McCullum
Back-Foot Leg Glance: Laxman
Back Foot Leg side 'Noodle and Nudge' Justin Langer and Graeme Smith
Front-foot flick to Square Leg: Tendulkar
Pick-up shot over square leg: Jayasuriya
Hook Shot: Ponting
Pull shot: Ponting
Drag from outside the off stump over midwicket: Gibbs
'Cow Corner' shot: Abdul Razzaq
On-drive through midwicket: Laxman

As for other miscellanous stuff....

Best all around the field lofted shot player: Gilchrist
Best footwork against spinners: Lara
Biggest 'BOOOOOM' factor: Chris Cairns
Best baseball slog: Brett Lee
Forward Defensive against spinners: Jason Gillespie. Damn he's annoying........