• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest Catch Ever

Anna

International Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I also saw an unbelievable catch in a domestic game from Jamie Dalrymple of Middlesex two years ago - a diving, twisting, one-handed, above-the-head deal at backward point, that was fantastic, as was a catch taken by David Masters of Leicestershire in the Twenty20 Semi-Final last season.
Yeah!! I was there.....Graeme Smith thought he'd smacked a four, if not a six, when Masters leapt vertically in the air & plucked the ball from behind his head.....it was like he was hanging there....bizarre! Smith just couldn't believe it- he just smiled & shook his head in disbelief the whole way back to the pavilion. He hadn't scored much....but I just had a feeling he'd be able to redeem himself in the final.....& oh how he did :D :notworthy :clap: :jump:

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
that catch by Strauss in the most recent one that i know....
Play EA Cricket 2000 and there's plenty of great fielding moments on the video as the game loads.
Other main one I remember is a catch by i believe Johnathan Crawley - I can't be certain about the details except that it was definitely a series in England around 1997. I remember that he seemed to run miles and sort of leap for it and just about caught it. Anyone else have a clue what i'm talking about?

ir0n desi

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Collingwood's catch in the natwest series this year was pretty amazing...he jumed, then stretched to catch the ball...plus it was one handed. And the catch Kaif took last year in Pakistan will always be unforgettable

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Tapioca said:
Do any old timers remember the Clarke c Dyson b Yardley from WSC in the early 80s ?
Yep, the soccer goalie catch on the boundary...certainly one of the best.

Fatty Vautins catch in that celebrity match 6-7 years ago? LOL

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as a piece in Frank Keating's column in today's Guardian caught my eye.

If not the best catch ever, Sir Richard certainly qualifies as having made the most selfless catch:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,,1741158,00.html

Hadlee's gold standard catch

Lunchtime pub sessions have been lively of late, what with Cheltenham races, England rugby, Freddie Flintoff, Dean Macey and Co, but no subject drew a more warmingly rhapsodising buzz from the codgery regulars than Monty Panesar's catch. On radio Vic Marks said Monty's clinging on to the steepler after being humiliated by such a calamitous, identical miss, was the most heroic catch he had seen. For me Monty takes silver to Richard Hadlee's gold.

Brisbane, 1985: Australia 179 for eight v New Zealand. Hadlee has taken all eight. He will polish off the tail next over for sure and he retires to third man as the tyro spinner Vaughan Brown lollipops his over, the last ball of which the tailender Geoff Lawson swipes and top-edges. Hadlee hares for it. He could have tripped, fallen or simply spilled it. But Hadlee hurls himself for "the top corner" and holds the dramatic catch. Next over, of course he dismisses No11, Robert Holland, to finish with nine for 52 - one run better than Jim Laker's all-time Test record of 10 for 53. Lawson c Hadlee b Brown: Test history's most imperishably heroic catch.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
BoyBrumby said:
Just thought I'd resurrect this thread as a piece in Frank Keating's column in today's Guardian caught my eye.

If not the best catch ever, Sir Richard certainly qualifies as having made the most selfless catch:

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/columnists/story/0,,1741158,00.html

Hadlee's gold standard catch.
There's an interview we did with him a few years ago somewhere on the site.

I asked him about that very instance.

Typical Guardian - about 3 years late. Like at the weekend they told everyone to put their clocks BACK an hour.

Idoits*

*Grauniad readers should understand that. ;)

CricketWeb's interview with Sir Richard Hadlee

Last edited:

Dick Rockett

I can think of three:

Nathan Astle's catch off Dwayne Smith at Jade Stadium earlier this season. When he hit the ball I thought "that's six for sure", and started to look away. For some reason though, I looked up again and saw the catch - it took me a few seconds to comprehend that he'd taken it. It just looked impossible!

Then there's Mayu Pasupati's full length diving effort for Wellington at the Basin (I think it was a one day final). That one really sticks in my mind because it happened right in front of me.

And finally, Mark Greatbatch took a screamer against England in a WSC match in the late 80s (when NZ still wore beige). He had to jump both upwards and fully stretched to his right, popped the ball up with his right hand, then grabbed again with both on the way down. Seriously, he looked like he was levitating.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Do we seriously expect one catch out of thousands over 129 years of test cricket to be singled out as the best?

Come on guys lets have some sense of perspective and some respect for credibility. We already have the ridiculous tag of the 'ball of the century'.

How about the 'Greatest shot ever"? One can understand the fascination with the highest, tallest, fattest, fastest, slowest etc etc but when we come to subjective things like we need to restrict the debate to more sober and reasonable titles to fantastic athletic feats or sporting achevements that are otherwise not measurable.

There is no indignity in being classified one of the greatest ever for any batsman, bowler, fielder or catch for that matter.
:)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
Do we seriously expect one catch out of thousands over 129 years of test cricket to be singled out as the best?

Come on guys lets have some sense of perspective and some respect for credibility. We already have the ridiculous tag of the 'ball of the century'.

How about the 'Greatest shot ever"? One can understand the fascination with the highest, tallest, fattest, fastest, slowest etc etc but when we come to subjective things like we need to restrict the debate to more sober and reasonable titles to fantastic athletic feats or sporting achevements that are otherwise not measurable.

There is no indignity in being classified one of the greatest ever for any batsman, bowler, fielder or catch for that matter.
:)
Totally agree.

And anyway, the winner is Oram's catch against India at the Basin Reserve in 2002.

33/3from3.3

mundaneyogi said:
Nathan Astle's catch off Dwayne Smith at Jade Stadium earlier this season. When he hit the ball I thought "that's six for sure", and started to look away. For some reason though, I looked up again and saw the catch - it took me a few seconds to comprehend that he'd taken it. It just looked impossible!
If Smith hit that harder it would have gone straight to me in the stands

when he hit the shot i turned away and i was like oh jeez
then

WOOOOO GOT HIM **** OFF HE'S OUT