Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best Ball Ever Bowled......

Cricket Web Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Left arm orthodox, leggie, or that 13-year-old with a doosra?
    Fast Medium outswing
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Barney Rubble
    Left arm orthodox, leggie, or that 13-year-old with a doosra?
    Left arm what?

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Once again NZ are insulted by my ignorance, sorry.

I think Walsh did it to one of our chaps though, buggered if I can remember who, when and where though.
    Walsh got Thorpe twice with the slower ball in the 2000 series.

well for me impossible to pick one, as there are so many Akram, Waqar, Mcgrath, Freddie, Warne, Murali all have produced amazing ones on number of occasions.

Pinball Champion!
    Allan Donald, when he cleaned up Atherton on that first morning in Johannesburg in 1999... That was disgusting in a good way..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Also, the best ball ever bowled is likely not to have got a wicket, because it's likely to have been played at and missed, and so not remembered.
    the best ball ever bowled should have been hitting the stumps, otherwise it isnt the best ball bowled ITFP
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool
    the best ball ever bowled should have been hitting the stumps, otherwise it isnt the best ball bowled ITFP
    Not really, should be just outside off. Also if it moved a mile, it's going to be quite hard to get on the stumps.
    Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Not really, should be just outside off. Also if it moved a mile, it's going to be quite hard to get on the stumps.
    no the best ball ever bowled should have gotten a wicket, otherwise it defeats the purpose. if you keep making the batsmen play and miss, then you're obviously doing something wrong, because your team isnt going to win until you take wickets.
    and yes its hard to hit the stumps, but thats precisely why its the best ball ever, because its hard to produce it. the reason why warnes ball is rated so highly is because it actually hit the stumps. ideally the best ball by a pace bowler would be one that pitched on leg stump and hit the top of off stump. i'd think the ball that key got off collymore last year was pretty close to that sort of delivery.

International Coach
    no the best ball ever bowled should have gotten a wicket, otherwise it defeats the purpose. if you keep making the batsmen play and miss, then you're obviously doing something wrong, because your team isnt going to win until you take wickets.
    Utter rubbish. Just because it was too good to take the edge doesn't detract from the ball itself

Utter rubbish. Just because it was too good to take the edge doesn't detract from the ball itself
    no its still a very good ball, but if it doesnt take a wicket, how is it better than a ball that does?

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    no its still a very good ball, but if it doesnt take a wicket, how is it better than a ball that does?
    In many ways,the bowler can't controll what the batsman dsoes,they just have to bowl it in the right areas and hope the batsman nicks it,if he doesn't,it is not the bowler fault.

And the best ball doesn't have to hit the stumps at all,any good international bowler bowls more deliveries outside off than on the stumps,look at Glen McGrath.

Quote Originally Posted by open365
    In many ways,the bowler can't controll what the batsman dsoes,they just have to bowl it in the right areas and hope the batsman nicks it,if he doesn't,it is not the bowler fault.

And the best ball doesn't have to hit the stumps at all,any good international bowler bowls more deliveries outside off than on the stumps,look at Glen McGrath.
    quite obviously, because if you try to bowl balls that pitched on leg and hit the top of off stump, you'll end up giving away a truckload of runs. and yes the bowler cant control what the batsman does, but if you bowl an unplayable ball on the stumps, you dont need to worry about what the batsman does, yet when you bowl outside the off stump, you have to hope that the batsman actually gets bat on it.

I actually agree with TEC. He's not saying that unplayable balls outside offstump aren't "excellent deliveries", but rather the best one should be one that will pretty much take a wicket 99% of the time if that ball is bowled. An awesome ball outside offstump which the batsman plays and missed at isn't the 'greatest delivery of all time' because you can't guarantee a wicket with that ball.

Plus I always thought the fact that the bowler has done it all by themselves when they clean bowl a batsman (That is, get through the batsman without an awesome slips catch or diving keeper, just Bowler v Batsman with batsman winning) makes it slightly better. Hence why I think Warne's and Waqar's balls that have clean bowled the batsman and are almost unplayable are solid candidates for the best ever.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

International Coach
    So effectyively a long hop that gets caught at deep square leg is a better ball than a ball that moves a foot in the air and beats the batter outside off?

So effectyively a long hop that gets caught at deep square leg is a better ball than a ball that moves a foot in the air and beats the batter outside off?
    no, what i mean is that an unplayable ball on the stumps is better than an unplayable ball outside the off stump.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information