• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Best Ball Ever Bowled......

Toecrusher

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Allan Donald to Sachin Tendulkar, Durban 1996. Sachin played a PERFECT forward defensive, but his stump went cartweeling a mile back.

And of course those Waim Akram balls in the World Cup 92 final

Buddhmaster

International Captain
Jamee, please leave your room, it's quite nice out there

A few of the Younis yorkers are the best I can remember

Xuhaib

International Coach
Originally Posted by deeps
Waqar younis > Brian Charles Lara. Lara ended up on his bum and the stumps were splayed all over the place
If there ever was an unplayable ball this was the one i think it was in a test match at Pindi in 97, simply a BEAUTY.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Completely biased.

Bracken`s first ball to Sehwag, swung from way outside off to middle and leg, plumb in front.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Warnie's ball to Strauss was an absolute ripper I thought, especially since it was with a relatively new ball.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Walsh-o slower ball that looks like a beamer but hits you plum on middle. Chris Read being an hilarious victim of it IIRC. Brett Lee to Fred last summer during the nail-biting run chase. Neither are the best ever, but crackerjack deliveries nonetheless.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think that was Cairns..yes that was when Cairns seemed to be at his prime with the slower ball. He defeated Graham Thorpe in a similar fashion.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Tim said:
I think that was Cairns..yes that was when Cairns seemed to be at his prime with the slower ball. He defeated Graham Thorpe in a similar fashion.
Once again NZ are insulted by my ignorance, sorry.

I think Walsh did it to one of our chaps though, buggered if I can remember who, when and where though.

Tapioca

State Vice-Captain
Pedro Delgado said:
Once again NZ are insulted by my ignorance, sorry.

I think Walsh did it to one of our chaps though, buggered if I can remember who, when and where though.
Walsh got Thorpe twice with the slower ball in the 2000 series.

magsi23

U19 Debutant
well for me impossible to pick one, as there are so many Akram, Waqar, Mcgrath, Freddie, Warne, Murali all have produced amazing ones on number of occasions.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Allan Donald, when he cleaned up Atherton on that first morning in Johannesburg in 1999... That was disgusting in a good way..

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Also, the best ball ever bowled is likely not to have got a wicket, because it's likely to have been played at and missed, and so not remembered.
the best ball ever bowled should have been hitting the stumps, otherwise it isnt the best ball bowled ITFP

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
the best ball ever bowled should have been hitting the stumps, otherwise it isnt the best ball bowled ITFP
Not really, should be just outside off. Also if it moved a mile, it's going to be quite hard to get on the stumps.

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Not really, should be just outside off. Also if it moved a mile, it's going to be quite hard to get on the stumps.
no the best ball ever bowled should have gotten a wicket, otherwise it defeats the purpose. if you keep making the batsmen play and miss, then you're obviously doing something wrong, because your team isnt going to win until you take wickets.
and yes its hard to hit the stumps, but thats precisely why its the best ball ever, because its hard to produce it. the reason why warnes ball is rated so highly is because it actually hit the stumps. ideally the best ball by a pace bowler would be one that pitched on leg stump and hit the top of off stump. i'd think the ball that key got off collymore last year was pretty close to that sort of delivery.

Tom Halsey

International Coach
tooextracool said:
no the best ball ever bowled should have gotten a wicket, otherwise it defeats the purpose. if you keep making the batsmen play and miss, then you're obviously doing something wrong, because your team isnt going to win until you take wickets.
Utter rubbish. Just because it was too good to take the edge doesn't detract from the ball itself

tooextracool

International Coach
Tom Halsey said:
Utter rubbish. Just because it was too good to take the edge doesn't detract from the ball itself
no its still a very good ball, but if it doesnt take a wicket, how is it better than a ball that does?