• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Superstitions

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Well Ganguly has this one that he will not see a duck before a match. Else he will be out for one.

Okay I am lying blatantly.

But cricketers have been known to have weird superstitions. Which ones have you heard?

The Steve Waugh red handkerchief one is probably the most famous of them all. There were also tricks tried by opposition to try and steal that kerchief on ocassions to upset Waugh if rumours are to be believed!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Srikkanth's little routine before facing the ball was unique. He would walk up to the square leg umpire, practice a few backfoot defensive shots, whirl his bat around, look up to Sun (they say he offered prayers to the Sun God) and then come back to take strike.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
When keeping Gilchrist seems to push his gloves back up or something before every ball.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Regarding looking at the Sun, players do that while walking out to bat. It is not superstition as they want to set their eye in properly. Nothing to do with superstition. Just thought I would point that. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, but I have it on good authority that he used to say prayers to the Sun God. I am distant relative of his. Really.

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Michael Clarke seems to figit with everything all the time. As for me, I had two fairly large glasses of absinth before my greatest innings (17* at Spondon CC for my former work-place) which included a couple of fours and a splendid Viv-style leg-glance six over the fence and into a garden, consequently I've imbibed the same measure since, but as-yet it has failed to work the same magic. Mind you I've only played two innings post that.

Both ducks.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:
yeah, but I have it on good authority that he used to say prayers to the Sun God. I am distant relative of his. Really.
I was just referring generally. You wouldnt have to look at the sun so many times like Srikkanth used to do to set his eye in. ;)

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jayasuriya has a habit of adjusting every part of his uniform when he's batting before every ball.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil McKenzie has loads, like taping his cricket bat to the cieling before he bats.. I share one of his superstitions which is never stepping on the white of the crease lines when I bat, well its not really a superstition, just a weird habit..

open365

International Vice-Captain
Nick Pothas is the worse.

he does the same routine every ball,you should see it!

when he goes to talk to his batting partner at the end of the over, he stands outside his crease and taps his bat over it 6 times.he's crazy.

Kiwi

State Vice-Captain
All the ones mentioned are not superstitions, but routines. Once you get to a certain level you will be made to do routines. It is just to make sure you are prepared the same for every ball. People have different ones of these. It can be as simple as spinning the ball 2 times in your hands before bowling it, or spinning your bat in your hand. All good cricketers really should do exactly the same before each ball if that what works for them.

Superstitions are things like right pad on before left, a certain necklace that wont come off or things they might have in there pocket

shaka

International Regular
Another Steve Waugh one! Steve continuing for as long as possible with one baggy green cap.

shaka

International Regular
Chanderpaul using his bat to hit the end of the bail into the ground as he arrives at the crease.