• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Biggest six hitters outside the subcontinent

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
the subcontinent has produced some biggest hitters like Afiridi,Jayasurya,Ganguly
and now Dhoni.

But outside the subcontinent, Kemp and Chris Cairns are the names that come to my mind.

Any other players who had better six hitting abilities?

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
I'd probably argue that and say that better six hitters come from other parts of the world than the sub-continent...

Flintoff is a unit and can belt the living crap out've it.
Symonds is a strong man and can smash them to all parts.
Kluesner was amazing in his time.
Brett Lee is fantastic at lashing out.
Gilchrist is equal to dhoni at least when he wants to be (the thing that makes him so much better is that he can bat in any situation)
Mark Waugh used to be pretty elegant in smashing sixes.
The list goes on

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Don't know about "better", but Brett Lee has hit some big balls for a guy who is a bowler. Flintoff and Pietersen spring to mind too.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
The one by Brett Lee the other day was one of the biggest I've ever seen (oo-er, missus).

I saw Garfield Sobers launch one clean out of Trent Bridge into Fox Road in the early 1970's, and of course one of his six sixes off Nash went half way across Swansea city centre.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lee hits the ball furthest.

2 at Trent Bridge and 1 at Gabba the other day were some of the biggest in living memory.

Kemp is hard to judge because grounds in SA are so tiny. Both Ponting and Gilchrist hit balls out of stadiums during the WC.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Powell is one not already mentioned.

Some sub continent players who may not come to mind at first:

Kapil Dev
Akram

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Voltman said:
Shane Bond can hit a very long ball
Indeed he can, I was at Eden Park when he did a huge baseball style swing and it cleared the stand. Biggest I've ever seen when at a match.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Anyone remembers Atul Bedade of India. He had great six hitting abilities but could not translate that to greater effect in Internationals.

Another big six hitter who was not an international success is Ali Brown.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
I've seen Ian Blackwell hit some absolutely monstrous blows down at Somerset - of the ten he hit in his 134* off 71 balls last season when I was there, four went out of the ground by a mile, although it is a small ground. He also apparently hit a nearby (well I say nearby, I mean a couple of streets away behind one stand) church once during an innings of 247* off about 150 balls, containing 11 sixes. He is a big, big man.

Flintoff's at Edgbaston off Kasper was one of the biggest I've ever seen, though - the one onto the TV gantry, where Mark Nicholas went "Oh hellooooooo.......massive! MASSIVE!". :D

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Barney Rubble said:
I've seen Ian Blackwell hit some absolutely monstrous blows down at Somerset - of the ten he hit in his 134* off 71 balls last season when I was there, four went out of the ground by a mile, although it is a small ground. He also apparently hit a nearby (well I say nearby, I mean a couple of streets away behind one stand) church once during an innings of 247* off about 150 balls, containing 11 sixes. He is a big, big man.

Flintoff's at Edgbaston off Kasper was one of the biggest I've ever seen, though - the one onto the TV gantry, where Mark Nicholas went "Oh hellooooooo.......massive! MASSIVE!". :D
Blackwell is an outstanding hitter, i would say one of the biggest six-hitters in England cricket history.

Snippie

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Lou Vincent impressed me during this tour, he could hit them as far as anyone...

Of course, Flintoff is a very powerful hitter, so is Bret Lee, I've seen Mark Wough hit a few out of the park as well.

As mentioned some South Africans are brilliant with hitting the big blows - The ones mentioned Kemp and Klusener does stand out from the rest, but Boucher and Pollock are also very good at hitting the ball out of the park. :happy:

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Sanath Jayasuriya has probably the biggest cut shots I can think of. I remember when Sri Lanka toured South Africa a few years ago I think he cut Kallis out of Centurion, not the biggest ground that's for sure but it's a hefty flat cut shot out of Centurion.

Afridi hits them huge, as does Brett Lee. Andre Adams when he gets going hits them huge too. Players like Symonds, Pieterson, Flintoff, Gilchrist, Ricardo Powell and the likes are always going to pack out this type of thread.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
Think I might put my new DVD of the Ashes (guess what I asked for for my birthday?!) on to watch that.