• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen who could have made it to the Indian test side

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
India has the privilege of having some of the best middle order batsmen in test cricket
for an extended period of time , almost a decade now. Sachin,Dravid,Ganguly and Laxman are hard
nuts to crack and unless they get injured, they are unlikely to be replaced.
And that too, the list is confined only to Yuvraj and Kaif.
Just wanted to discuss who might have been made it to the team had things been otherwise.

This is my list:
S Sriram
Amit Pagnis
A Muzumdar
S Sharath
Y Goud

Woody_cloudofsm

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gagan Khoda
Amol Muzumdar
Rohan Gavaskar
Hemang Badani mite have a couple of tests under his belt bbut extremely talented
Vidyut my cousin has to play

I think the lieks of sanjay bangar

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Woody_cloudofsm said:
Gagan Khoda
Amol Muzumdar
Rohan Gavaskar
Hemang Badani mite have a couple of tests under his belt bbut extremely talented

badani is very unlucky. It is difficult to understand how players like Kaif are preferred for tests over Badani and Sriram.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Woody_cloudofsm said:
Gagan Khoda
Amol Muzumdar
Rohan Gavaskar

Vidyut is very young and he has a long way to go. I am sure he will make it big in ODI if not the tests.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ramkumar_gr said:
badani is very unlucky. It is difficult to understand how players like Kaif are preferred for tests over Badani and Sriram.
Are you serious?

Firstly for some reason Yuvraj is getting test spots over Kaif (hopefully that changes soon), and secondly, you rate Sriram a better potential test batsman than Kaif? Why?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because Sriram is a better batsman than Kaif, Yuvraj and almost every other batsman we have tried in last 5 years and same cane be said about Amol Majumdar.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Are you serious?

Firstly for some reason Yuvraj is getting test spots over Kaif (hopefully that changes soon), and secondly, you rate Sriram a better potential test batsman than Kaif? Why?
Well, I'm not so sure that Kaif is so far ahead of all these others contenders (if at all). Sure, he has the right mentality to succeed in Tests and is very determined - but he really hasn't shown his worth to the Test side in the FC game....in fact, his FC average is pretty poor (especially by Indian standards).

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Dasa said:
Well, I'm not so sure that Kaif is so far ahead of all these others contenders (if at all). Sure, he has the right mentality to succeed in Tests and is very determined - but he really hasn't shown his worth to the Test side in the FC game....in fact, his FC average is pretty poor (especially by Indian standards).
Sriram is the best batsman in the current indian domestic circuit and he is definitely better than all mentioned here Kaif, Badani,Rohan(???),Amol Muzumdar,Amit Pagnis and it was a pity he was looked at only as a bits-and-pieces player.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Are you serious?

That was for the simple reason that Yuvraj is miles ahead of Kaif and he is a true matchwinner and Yuvraj on his day can be spectacular. Kaif never had a field day and no one knows what he can do on his day.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Averages don't always tell the whole story. Strauss didn't have the greatest FC average (or so I think) but look at what he has done. Kaif did well last year against Australia when he got the opportunity at 6 in tests and I think he should tried in that position again. I agree that Sriram and perhaps Muzumdar have been very unlucky, but now is not the time to blood them. If Kaif fails, then guys like Sriram, Venugopala Rao etc. can be tried.

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Averages don't always tell the whole story. Strauss didn't have the greatest FC average (or so I think) but look at what he has done. Kaif did well last year against Australia when he got the opportunity at 6 in tests and I think he should tried in that position again. I agree that Sriram and perhaps Muzumdar have been very unlucky, but now is not the time to blood them. If Kaif fails, then guys like Sriram, Venugopala Rao etc. can be tried.
Strauss actually had a decent FC average I think...Vaughan didn't though, neither did Tresco (if I remember correctly).

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
Agreed averages dont tell you the exact story. Also that someone having against his name does not mean everything. I watched the 50 he scored against Aus in Chennai believe me more than half of his runs came through edges. Kaif's selection to the test side ahead of Sriram and Rao is something which i will never agree.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dasa said:
Strauss actually had a decent FC average I think...Vaughan didn't though, neither did Tresco (if I remember correctly).
From memory, Strauss' wasn't all that good in its entirety, but the few seasons before he got picked was much better and deserved selection. Any Englishmen can feel free to correct me. :)

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ramkumar_gr said:
Agreed averages dont tell you the exact story. Also that someone having against his name does not mean everything. I watched the 50 he scored against Aus in Chennai believe me more than half of his runs came through edges. Kaif's selection to the test side ahead of Sriram and Rao is something which i will never agree.
You are forgetting that he played one of the best knocks of that series at Nagpur on THAT wicket.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
You are forgetting that he played one of the best knocks of that series at Nagpur on THAT wicket.
just look at the number of tests he had played and the good knocks he had come up with. even defied the law of averages.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol, the tests he had played before were in 2001, in Sri Lanka against Murali. Not many rookies do well there, you know. And his debut tests against RSA was in the match fixing era.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
honestbharani said:
lol, the tests he had played before were in 2001, in Sri Lanka against Murali. Not many rookies do well there, you know. And his debut tests against RSA was in the match fixing era.
OK agreed. If that is the case, you should be aware Badani and kaif played in all three tests and why was/is badani not considered. Both had a very similiar series i believe.

I have not seen Kaif playing a single substantial knock in any of the major tournaments(Duleep,Irani) and we know how Badani has scored 2 big hundreds in the Ranji Finals.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
ramkumar_gr said:
OK agreed. If that is the case, you should be aware Badani and kaif played in all three tests and why was/is badani not considered. Both had a very similiar series i believe.

I have not seen Kaif playing a single substantial knock in any of the major tournaments(Duleep,Irani) and we know how Badani has scored 2 big hundreds in the Ranji Finals.
I agree that Badani, Sriram etc. have been unfairly treated, but that doesn't mean we should treat Kaif unfairly. Yes, he got more opportunities than Badani or Sriram, but at least in tests, he has done reasonably well and should be given another shot.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
ramkumar_gr said:
That was for the simple reason that Yuvraj is miles ahead of Kaif and he is a true matchwinner and Yuvraj on his day can be spectacular. Kaif never had a field day and no one knows what he can do on his day.
Yuvraj had no idea what was going on when he was facing McGrath in the 1st and 2nd test against Australia. He seriously looked like mince meat. He's a potential match-winner in ODIs, not tests.

I don't see how Kaif getting two 50s, yet Yuvraj having scores of 5, 27, 8 and 7* make him the better batsman from what we've seen so far. Kaif played on tougher pitches as well.

Last edited: