Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Batsmen who could have made it to the Indian test side

U19 Vice-Captain

Batsmen who could have made it to the Indian test side

India has the privilege of having some of the best middle order batsmen in test cricket
    for an extended period of time , almost a decade now. Sachin,Dravid,Ganguly and Laxman are hard
    nuts to crack and unless they get injured, they are unlikely to be replaced.
    And that too, the list is confined only to Yuvraj and Kaif.
    Just wanted to discuss who might have been made it to the team had things been otherwise.

This is my list:
    S Sriram
    Amit Pagnis
    A Muzumdar
    S Sharath
    Y Goud
    Rohit Sharma is the most hyped cricketer ever...

School Boy/Girl Captain
    Gagan Khoda
    Amol Muzumdar
    Rohan Gavaskar
    Hemang Badani mite have a couple of tests under his belt bbut extremely talented
    Vidyut my cousin has to play

I think the lieks of sanjay bangar

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody_cloudofsm
    Gagan Khoda
    Amol Muzumdar
    Rohan Gavaskar
    Hemang Badani mite have a couple of tests under his belt bbut extremely talented

badani is very unlucky. It is difficult to understand how players like Kaif are preferred for tests over Badani and Sriram.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody_cloudofsm
    Gagan Khoda
    Amol Muzumdar
    Rohan Gavaskar

Vidyut is very young and he has a long way to go. I am sure he will make it big in ODI if not the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by ramkumar_gr
    badani is very unlucky. It is difficult to understand how players like Kaif are preferred for tests over Badani and Sriram.
    Are you serious?

Firstly for some reason Yuvraj is getting test spots over Kaif (hopefully that changes soon), and secondly, you rate Sriram a better potential test batsman than Kaif? Why?
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Because Sriram is a better batsman than Kaif, Yuvraj and almost every other batsman we have tried in last 5 years and same cane be said about Amol Majumdar.

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Are you serious?

Firstly for some reason Yuvraj is getting test spots over Kaif (hopefully that changes soon), and secondly, you rate Sriram a better potential test batsman than Kaif? Why?
    Well, I'm not so sure that Kaif is so far ahead of all these others contenders (if at all). Sure, he has the right mentality to succeed in Tests and is very determined - but he really hasn't shown his worth to the Test side in the FC game....in fact, his FC average is pretty poor (especially by Indian standards).

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Well, I'm not so sure that Kaif is so far ahead of all these others contenders (if at all). Sure, he has the right mentality to succeed in Tests and is very determined - but he really hasn't shown his worth to the Test side in the FC game....in fact, his FC average is pretty poor (especially by Indian standards).
    Sriram is the best batsman in the current indian domestic circuit and he is definitely better than all mentioned here Kaif, Badani,Rohan(???),Amol Muzumdar,Amit Pagnis and it was a pity he was looked at only as a bits-and-pieces player.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono
    Are you serious?

That was for the simple reason that Yuvraj is miles ahead of Kaif and he is a true matchwinner and Yuvraj on his day can be spectacular. Kaif never had a field day and no one knows what he can do on his day.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Averages don't always tell the whole story. Strauss didn't have the greatest FC average (or so I think) but look at what he has done. Kaif did well last year against Australia when he got the opportunity at 6 in tests and I think he should tried in that position again. I agree that Sriram and perhaps Muzumdar have been very unlucky, but now is not the time to blood them. If Kaif fails, then guys like Sriram, Venugopala Rao etc. can be tried.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

International Vice-Captain Dasa's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani
    Averages don't always tell the whole story. Strauss didn't have the greatest FC average (or so I think) but look at what he has done. Kaif did well last year against Australia when he got the opportunity at 6 in tests and I think he should tried in that position again. I agree that Sriram and perhaps Muzumdar have been very unlucky, but now is not the time to blood them. If Kaif fails, then guys like Sriram, Venugopala Rao etc. can be tried.
    Strauss actually had a decent FC average I think...Vaughan didn't though, neither did Tresco (if I remember correctly).

U19 Vice-Captain
    Agreed averages dont tell you the exact story. Also that someone having against his name does not mean everything. I watched the 50 he scored against Aus in Chennai believe me more than half of his runs came through edges. Kaif's selection to the test side ahead of Sriram and Rao is something which i will never agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasa
    Strauss actually had a decent FC average I think...Vaughan didn't though, neither did Tresco (if I remember correctly).
    From memory, Strauss' wasn't all that good in its entirety, but the few seasons before he got picked was much better and deserved selection. Any Englishmen can feel free to correct me.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ramkumar_gr
    Agreed averages dont tell you the exact story. Also that someone having against his name does not mean everything. I watched the 50 he scored against Aus in Chennai believe me more than half of his runs came through edges. Kaif's selection to the test side ahead of Sriram and Rao is something which i will never agree.
    You are forgetting that he played one of the best knocks of that series at Nagpur on THAT wicket.

U19 Vice-Captain
    You are forgetting that he played one of the best knocks of that series at Nagpur on THAT wicket.
    just look at the number of tests he had played and the good knocks he had come up with. even defied the law of averages.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information