• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Batsmen who could have made it to the Indian test side

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
ramkumar_gr said:
OK. I will wait for my turn to prove you Kaif's inabilities , when India gets to chase a big total. And when he gets into the test side,(which i dont think will happen in the near future)
Kaif will himself prove you wrong.
Guess you forgot the 91 he recently scored against Eng with Indian backs on the wall at 190/7 chasing 393...

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Why are you bringing up the shorter form of the game though? This thread which you created all those months ago asked which Indian players could have made the test squad ahead of the core middle order Indian batsman of the past decade (Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman).

Later you argued that Kaif didn't deserve a test spot nor consideration to even be in the test team. Yet in his last knock he hit a magnificient 91, which as brilliant as Yuvraj has been in the past 3-4 months, probably trumps all of Yuvraj's test knocks until now when you consider the situation, pressure and quality of bowling.

You've constantly laid barrage after barrage against Kaif in both forms of the game, and lucky for you his recent form slump in ODIs has been horrendous, and with youngsters such as Raina coming through, there is no doubt his position is far from definite within the team. However in tests, you can claim he shouldn't be in the first XI (he's not in my first XI, currently I have Yuvraj ahead of him only slightly, which shows Yuvraj's brilliant form has made me change my mind when you refer to my post a few months ago in this thread saying I hoped Kaif would get a spot ahead of Yuvi) but you'd be asinine to claim he doesn't deserve his spot as 1st or 2nd reserve middle order batsman.
I reiterate i dont have anything personal against Kaif. All my argument is aimed at proving India definitely has got better players than Kaif. He is an average fielder but,it is the media hype that projects him as the best fielder of India.

I dont really understand how you can associate "magnificiant" with kaif's 91. That was a laboured one, i agree. I am not that silly not to understand the value of that knock. He cant adapt to various situations that test cricket invariably presents. He can bat only one way and for doing that too, he needs tons of luck.The Nagpur situation might come once in say 20 tests and i agree he did a decent job. If you had followed his substantial knocks at test level, not many though, he needed a lot of luck to make them. Even during the Australia series, his couple of 50s were written on the dropped catches, in had a lot of so called french,german cuts. What all i am saying is he is very limited in talent and he is simply strokeless. He simply cant survive against any decent bowling attack let alone "very good" attacks.

I dont agree with you discussing Yuvraj and Kaif in the same vein. I had written the same even when Yuvraj was not on song as he is doing now. He is a class apart.

I will ask you some questions. Kaif had never made a substantial knock in FC cricket, and even the recent 100 in the Ranji final had atleast 5 dropped chances. On the other hand, you have players who have gone through the grind of domestic cricket year after year, scored runs consistently and lost out to Kaif on grounds that are beyond any meaningful logic. When he has not played a single knock which could prove his temparement for the longer version of the game, how do you rate him highly? I am a strong believer against picking players from the U-19 format. In India, it might be driven by the Sachin syndrome. We all know how Parthiv's elevation backfired and now they are making the same mistake by picking Chawla ahead of the seasoned Amit Mishra.

What all i say is let him prove himself in the domestic arena, make tall scores and then come in to the team. media-driven selections is making meritorious selections take a back seat.

List of players i feel are better than Kaif in both technique and temparament to succeed at test level:
Dheeraj Jadhav
Venugopala Rao
H Badani
S Badrinath
Yere Goud
S Bangar
S Sriram

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:
Why are you bringing up the shorter form of the game though? This thread which you created all those months ago asked which Indian players could have made the test squad ahead of the core middle order Indian batsman of the past decade (Sachin, Dravid, Ganguly, Laxman).

Later you argued that Kaif didn't deserve a test spot nor consideration to even be in the test team. Yet in his last knock he hit a magnificient 91, which as brilliant as Yuvraj has been in the past 3-4 months, probably trumps all of Yuvraj's test knocks until now when you consider the situation, pressure and quality of bowling.

You've constantly laid barrage after barrage against Kaif in both forms of the game, and lucky for you his recent form slump in ODIs has been horrendous, and with youngsters such as Raina coming through, there is no doubt his position is far from definite within the team. However in tests, you can claim he shouldn't be in the first XI (he's not in my first XI, currently I have Yuvraj ahead of him only slightly, which shows Yuvraj's brilliant form has made me change my mind when you refer to my post a few months ago in this thread saying I hoped Kaif would get a spot ahead of Yuvi) but you'd be asinine to claim he doesn't deserve his spot as 1st or 2nd reserve middle order batsman.
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/india/content/story/235456.html

this says he had two lives, i will get you another article which says he had 5 lives. please wait.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/10/15/1097784055757.html

this was during the 2nd test at Chennai, this article says he was dropped thrice before reaching 20.

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Jono said:

The fact that Kaif makes batting look difficult irrespective of match situation or quality of bowling attack is highlighted in this article.

Please read the last paragraph of this article.

http://blogs.cricinfo.com/different_strokes/archives/2006/04/the_supremely_l.php#more