• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Greats

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Slats4ever said:
The only players who may well be will be Murali and Warne.
I think Tendulkar and Lara from the modern era certainly would, but as far as Ponting goes, the only great I can think is "great call to bowl at Edgbaston"

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
hmm to be honest my opinion of great means only about 5 or 6 batsman in the history of the game and 5 or 6 bowlers. and tendulkar doesn't qualify for that. If we start giving it out to this many players great will become overused. the purpose of this thread should really be to honour the very very greatest
I completely agree slats. Which is why a player would have to get 75 percent votes to be included in the list. So its quite tough.

Slats4ever

International Vice-Captain
Pratyush said:
Voting may occur in a specific period. Today 5 players are being put up for voting for greatness (I wont put more than 5 in a day to avoid confusion).

Nominating, seconding and thirding players can continue at all times.

Players on whom voting hereby commences for greatness for the next 24 hours:

Ponting
Lara
Tendulkar
Murali
Warne
Ponting - No
Lara - No
Tendulkar - No
Murali - Yes
Warne - Yes

Simply for the way that they've both mastered and re-invented the art of spinning...

Will the ashes and various events such as laxmans score ever be voted on?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Slats4ever said:
Ponting - No
Lara - No
Tendulkar - No
Murali - Yes
Warne - Yes

Simply for the way that they've both mastered and re-invented the art of spinning...

Will the ashes and various events such as laxmans score ever be voted on?
Events like you mentioned can get nominated (as the Ashes and Laxman's inning have been) and will be voted on like the players. The Ashes will in the next voting I can say at least as it has already been thirded!

Dasa

International Vice-Captain
dontcloseyoureyes said:
Seriously, someone second Laxman's innings already. It's the best test match innings I've ever watched.
OK. Seconded.

Another nomination - Lara 153*

Bobisback

International Regular
Glenn McGrath!!! His 61* was the best innings ever

Also he is the most consistant bowlerer.

Cant wait till he craks the Hundred barrier, too bad the aussie batters cant stay in long enough with him!

I also vote, Glenn for opener!

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Bobisback said:
Glenn McGrath!!! His 61* was the best innings ever

Also he is the most consistant bowlerer.

Cant wait till he craks the Hundred barrier, too bad the aussie batters cant stay in long enough with him!

I also vote, Glenn for opener!
The 61* is seconded :p

Pedro Delgado

International Debutant
Warne - aye
Murali - aye
VVSL 281 - aye
BCL 153* - aye

I'd like to nominate Flintoff's over to remove Langer and Ponting, as one of the greatest overs ever bowled. Doubtful it'll get many votes as many many great overs have been bowled by better bowlers, but hey, whayagonnado?

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
From that list of 5 Pratyush said:
Ponting: No
Lara: Yes
Tendulkar: Yes
Warne: Yes
Murali: Yes

I second or third or whatever Laxman's 281. The Ashes is great, so I'll do that one too.