• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why nobody can touch Brian Lara

Jason_M

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
This man is just so unique and stands out against all the posers playing the game today, he doesn't change his game for the sake of the numbers, after all he made it into the big time by backing his own abilities which is what separates him from everyone else. I can't stand it when people criticise Lara for not curbing his attacking instincts and therefore becoming like the other robots who play the game today.

When i see players like Hayden dominating cricket it nearly makes me sick, crickters like Hayden are leeches. To him cricket is his job, he is paid to churn out the runs no matter which way he gets them, just as long as he gets them, his average being his resume. He will never reach the heights that Lara has in the game, that 277 surpasses all of what Hayden has done in his efficient but boring career.

Yesterday the Aussies batted again with a mammoth 230 run lead and were 1/ for a thousand but did anyone see Hayden or Ponting cut loose like a Lara would've done if he was in that position. Of course not, instead they were intent on grinding out boring centuries for the sake of their averages.

I think people can see the human side of Lara whereas we don't see that in others like Hayden, i think best summed up by this "warts and all, with his questionable mental abilities over his own game, with his flat out poor shot selection, with his tantrums and with his inconsistency, Lara, in terms of pure skill and technique, still is just better at batting than anyone else in the game".

When Lara retires we'd have seen the last of the old guard.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah, I don't agree with your post entirely, but yes, I don't think anyone else has blended batsmanship and entertainment as well as Lara has in my lifetime.

Blaze

Banned
Good Post. Lara is the man.

It does kind of **** me off that Hayden has as good an average as Lara yet we all know who is the better player by a city mile.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Bit hard for Ponting to cut lose when they had men all on the boundry on the legside and bowling spin on leg stump...

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Jason_M said:
This man is just so unique and stands out against all the posers playing the game today, he doesn't change his game for the sake of the numbers, after all he made it into the big time by backing his own abilities which is what separates him from everyone else. I can't stand it when people criticise Lara for not curbing his attacking instincts and therefore becoming like the other robots who play the game today.

When i see players like Hayden dominating cricket it nearly makes me sick, crickters like Hayden are leeches. To him cricket is his job, he is paid to churn out the runs no matter which way he gets them, just as long as he gets them, his average being his resume. He will never reach the heights that Lara has in the game, that 277 surpasses all of what Hayden has done in his efficient but boring career.

Yesterday the Aussies batted again with a mammoth 230 run lead and were 1/ for a thousand but did anyone see Hayden or Ponting cut loose like a Lara would've done if he was in that position. Of course not, instead they were intent on grinding out boring centuries for the sake of their averages.

I think people can see the human side of Lara whereas we don't see that in others like Hayden, i think best summed up by this "warts and all, with his questionable mental abilities over his own game, with his flat out poor shot selection, with his tantrums and with his inconsistency, Lara, in terms of pure skill and technique, still is just better at batting than anyone else in the game".

When Lara retires we'd have seen the last of the old guard.
I agree that Lara is the better player and that Hayden is as hungry for runs as any batsmen I remember, but your post is WAY over the top !!!

And the" Last of the old guard'??.....possibly in that he has played since 1990, but there are still a lot of entertaining instinctive batsmen around....just look at Sehwag.

Very spiteful post overall :dry:

Jason_M

In my opinion averages mean nothing in assesing how good a batsmen is nowdays. Ten or fifteen years ago an average of 40 was considered to be very good, mid 40's excellent and 50+ outstanding, look at how many batters average 50+ or there abouts these days, something just isn't right about that.

"last of the old guard"- Brian Lara is a batsman from a bygone era where each had his own method rather than today, where one just looks like the other. Sehwag isn't too bad though along with Clarke and Gayle that's about it for me.

thierry henry

International Coach
Your anti-statistical attitude rather ignores the fact that cricket is about one team trying to score more runs than the other. Average is a calculation of average runs scored. Hence, while your post makes sense in terms of "who I would prefer to watch", it makes no sense whatsoever in terms of who is actually the better batsman.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
To say that Lara is a great player, one of the greatest ever, is to state the obvious AND it does not require running down of other batsmen in the world to prove this which is a widely acknowledged fact.

Jason_M

"Your anti-statistical attitude rather ignores the fact that cricket is about one team trying to score more runs than the other. Average is a calculation of average runs scored. Hence, while your post makes sense in terms of "who I would prefer to watch", it makes no sense whatsoever in terms of who is actually the better batsman."

Yes cricket is about the bottom line now, it just turns out that those who are making all the runs with high averages aren't particularly good to watch, that isn't what the fans want to see. There is no incentive in the game to be extravagant and to play with flair, its all about being brutal and clinical and its ugly to watch.

archie mac

International Coach
Jason_M said:
Yes cricket is about the bottom line now, it just turns out that those who are making all the runs with high averages aren't particularly good to watch, that isn't what the fans want to see. There is no incentive in the game to be extravagant and to play with flair, its all about being brutal and clinical and its ugly to watch.
It must be me? But I quite enjoyed watching Ponting and Hayden, I thought they batted well, and played many fine shots.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
It must be me? But I quite enjoyed watching Ponting and Hayden, I thought they batted well, and played many fine shots.
And the fault doesnt lie wit Hayden and Ponting. It lies with the lousy West Indian side. Fit to join the minnows. Naturally the best in the world making mincemeat of pretenders cant be great fun. But we dont blame Federer for the lousy spectacle his thrashing of the 500th ranked player in the first round of a grand slam makes :sleep:

If you dont like it dont watch it.

I dont. :p (But I watch as long as Lara is batting since I know it is a privilege to be able to do so live)

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
If you dont like it dont watch it.

I dont. :p (But I watch as long as Lara is batting since I know it is a privilege to be able to do so live)
SJS are you asking and answering your own questions ? :D