Cricket Betting Site Betway
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why nobody can touch Brian Lara

Quote Originally Posted by Isolator
    Ahaha, I can imagine his mother saying "Ah Matthew, he's a fine lad. A bit robotic, though."
    That only sounds right in an Irish accent
    Or something.

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990 - 15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk
    Once again, neglecting the SuperFarce:

Brian Lara in 2005
    Such insight!

Average of 65+ over his last 25 Tests. 10 hundreds and 6 fifties in 45 innings. 8 of the 10 centuries have been 150+, with 5 of them at 190+.

Even if you remove 400 not out, he still averages 55.76 over the period.
    To be fair Skull on ABC radio also voiced the opinion that he thought Lara was finished. I do hope he proves his critics wrong and scores one more hundred here in OZ.
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    To be fair Skull on ABC radio also voiced the opinion that he thought Lara was finished. I do hope he proves his critics wrong and scores one more hundred here in OZ.
    Why do great players always have to prove some critic who wants to just criticise for the sake of criticising?

A few poor performances and people just jump at these players. People held doubts over McGrath when he was returning. I find this always very silly that people will just say this player is crap now based on some recent performances. Lets see if he can prove us wrong in the future.

International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    Erm, players playing on different pitches etc means that stats are rarely any use unless comparing players in the same game played on the same pitch (and even then one game doesn't make/break a player).
    ??

We are talking about comparing 3 players who have all played a large number of tests.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Top_Cat's Avatar
    Although I agree with the sentiment about Lara and certainly, when he's going, batting is more art than technique with him (although I still say he's technically excellent anyway BUT to complain about Ponting and Haydos is misleading; they were putting their team into a winning position which, ultimately, is the point. Maybe if Lara and others in the WI team had 'ground out' a few innings of that ilk (ignoring completely that they were both tons scored in quick time), the WI might have been in a position to win more games than they have in the last 10 years. I'm certainly not blaming Lara for the decline of WI cricket but they way Hayden and Ponting played is hardly meritless.

Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush
    Why do great players always have to prove some critic who wants to just criticise for the sake of criticising?

A few poor performances and people just jump at these players. People held doubts over McGrath when he was returning. I find this always very silly that people will just say this player is crap now based on some recent performances. Lets see if he can prove us wrong in the future.
    In Australia we call it the 'tall poppy syndrome'

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I know a lot of people love Skull, but just because he says Lara's past it doesn't mean it's gospel. Suddenly the knives are out from Australian commentators because of 5 innings when he was underprepared and the side was under the pump chasing massive totals, and now he goes out to a blinder and gets a shocker and he's "past it". Clap-trap.

I know a lot of people love Skull, but just because he says Lara's past it doesn't mean it's gospel. Suddenly the knives are out from Australian commentators because of 5 innings when he was underprepared and the side was under the pump chasing massive totals, and now he goes out to a blinder and gets a shocker and he's "past it". Clap-trap.
    'Trap' being the operative term, especially if the Aussies fall into it and don't keep bowling well to him. Lara still has the capability to punish anyone. His 30 in the first dig looked ominously good.

People held doubts over McGrath when he was returning.
    Not me!

http://forum.cricketweb.net/showthread.php?t=7953

Lara hasn't done a lot for a while now. I've never been a big fan - he's too busy at the crease, forcing everything in that anxious style of his. Plus he doesn't really come across as a team man

Cricket, Lovely Cricket Pratters's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat
    That thread was very interesting with all the comments and all.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox
    Skull not gospel? He said Watson had definitly broken his leg, (turned out to be a shoulder) Skull said; 'just wait until we see the X-rays, you will see I am right'

To be fair I was just giving an example of what people have been saying, I learnt long ago to never write off a champion.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend honestbharani's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thierry henry
    Your anti-statistical attitude rather ignores the fact that cricket is about one team trying to score more runs than the other. Average is a calculation of average runs scored. Hence, while your post makes sense in terms of "who I would prefer to watch", it makes no sense whatsoever in terms of who is actually the better batsman.
    u make it sound so mechanical. I thought sport was about making sure people got enjoyment from watching it.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Quote Originally Posted by burr
    Lara hasn't done a lot for a while now. I've never been a big fan - he's too busy at the crease, forcing everything in that anxious style of his.
    I'd be prepared to be too busy at the crease and force everything with anxious style if it meant I could average over 50 in Test cricket...

And have two test scores of 350+

... .... .- -.- . / - .... . / -.. . .- - .... / ..-. .-. --- -- / -.-- --- ..- .-. / -... --- -. . ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information