• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vice Captain to score the maximum no. of test runs

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
I think it should be Rahul Dravid, who scored majority of his runs under Ganguly's captaincy being the vice captain.

Younis Khan and Trescothick have done well and will do well to catch up with Dravid as he will no more be the vice-captain.

Isolator

State 12th Man
Is there any statistical record of vice captains? I mean, do they record who was VC in each match, like they do captains?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Isolator said:
Is there any statistical record of vice captains? I mean, do they record who was VC in each match, like they do captains?
I doubt it - it's not a requirement to even have a vice-captain.

I assume that England's is Trescothick (he tends to wave his arms about when Vaughan's off the field having a massage no er I mean dump no er I mean pee no er I mean seven minute rehydration session no er I mean discussing tactics with Duncan Fletcher on how to get the next man out oh what a giveaway), but I couldn't swear to it.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I remember years under Azhar Tendulkar was the unofficial vice captain. Then a banner was highlighted in a cricket match which asked 'who is the vice captain of the Indian team?'. Some time later Tendulkar was announced as the vice captain!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
it would have to be dravid, if as has been said he was vc for any period of time, he scores heaps of runs. Gilly scored plenty too though.

Shane Warne would probably hav eth emost wickets for a vc

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
ramkumar_gr said:
Younis Khan and Trescothick have done well and will do well to catch up with Dravid as he will no more be the vice-captain.
Doubt it'd be Trescothick, since England don't have a vice-captain.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Draivd has been vice-captain since Ganguly took over hasn't he? When Tendulkar gave up captaincy, I am almost 100% sure he was not vice-captain because that would have been pretty pointless.

If that is so, Dravid's been VC since 2000, and he's scored a hell of a lot of runs since then.

Burpey

Cricketer Of The Year
How about Steve Waugh? How long was he VC for? He must have been for a while and scored a fair few runs while at it

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
burkey_1988 said:
How about Steve Waugh? How long was he VC for? He must have been for a while and scored a fair few runs while at it
He was only VC for a little while as Healy was VC most of the time that Taylor was captain.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Most probably Dravid on Jono's point, considering one dayers have been played more now than ever before and Dravid has been doing well.

Would be a near impossible record to ratify.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
I think you will find that Gilly been VC longer then Dravid was, so i would back Gilly. When Taylor stepped down in 1998, Warne was VC for a little while, but i think Gilly took over around the time of the 1999 WC. Then he has had it since, Pointing only had a job for season, prior to taking over as captain.