• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Great Ajit Agarkar thread

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Devotion Apart - An Objective look at the AA Legend :)

I was watching a Tv show on the Indo-Sri Lanka series where one of the panelists mentioned the long gap (almost two years) between AA's last match winning performance (in Australia Jan 2003) and the other day at Pune. He was suggesting that this should not ensudre his place for another two years while opposition sides make merry at his expense.

On a closer look it appeared to be close to being true. Between that day at melbourne in January 2004 and Pune, AA played 22 matches (non-minnows as i have decided to use from now onwards unless situation warrants otherwise), bowled 100 overs (and a few balls), taking 15 wickets at 40.7 runs each , conceding 610 runs

This brings us to the biggest complaint everyone has with The big eared God (after Lord Vinayak) - his Economy rate. An alarming 6.08 per over or a Dhoni like 101 plus per 100 deliveries. Even if we add the last game, the figures dont change all that greatly. The economy rate still beats most batsmen and challenges Dhoni at 99.1.

This is alarming because it means that Agarkar has been the equivalent of a batsman with an average of 40 and a strike rate about a run a ball for the opposition. With a wicket every 40 deliveries this means if India had five Agarkars bowling the opposition would average between 297 and 303 runs per 50 overs losing 7.5 to 9.5 wickets on an average (depending upon whether or not we include the Pune match).

Alarming indeed.

AA had his worse period after a fantastic start. Then he continued to improve (his critics may not agree) but today he is at his most profligate and a very expensive bowler indeed. See for yourself.

M'S.........Runs/Wkt......Runs/100 balls....Balls/Wkt
First 30........24.4............88.3....................27.7
Next 20........54.4............92.3....................59.0
Next 20........30.5............85.5....................35.6
Next 20........26.5............86.7....................30.6
Next 20........26.5............88.6....................29.9
Last 16........30.6............97.9....................31.3

Overall.........29.5............89.2........33.1

He isnt young and he isnt getting runs except when the moon decided to aqcuire a bluish tint. I think AA may not be the best horse to back for team India unless he brings something more out of his batting arsenal. But is there anything there ??

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Agarkar's batting? Well, he can bat. But the unreliability of him scoring runs is too big a factor that counts against him. If he's in the team, it should be on his merit as a bowler who can do some hitting at the death and not as someone you expect to make runs.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
pug said:
Agarkar's batting? Well, he can bat. But the unreliability of him scoring runs is too big a factor that counts against him. If he's in the team, it should be on his merit as a bowler who can do some hitting at the death and not as someone you expect to make runs.
Blasphemy :-O :-O

pug

U19 Vice-Captain
Aaah... these labels are only the product of ignorant fans. The great AA will understand...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A news scientific process which may help Yuvraj Singh get some cricket talent from the great man.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pratyush said:
A news scientific process which may help Yuvraj Singh get some cricket talent from the great man.

Hahahahah! Look at his haircut!

AA rules!

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Agarkar, with 10 wickets (ave.21.20), is the leading wicket-taker in the IND-SL series after five matches.

kvemuri

U19 12th Man
I was stunned to read the title of the thread Ajit Agarkar and Great, now thats what I call an Oxymoron, till i read the entire thread. Agarkar definitely deserves a place of his own, in fact maybe the ICC might be better off starting a Hall of Famers listing (sort of the one that NBA and NFL have in US), Agarkar might be the first person to get inducted into it..even before Bradman or Richards or Lloyd or Tendulkar. ;)

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
SJS said:
I was watching a Tv show on the Indo-Sri Lanka series where one of the panelists mentioned the long gap (almost two years) between AA's last match winning performance (in Australia Jan 2003) and the other day at Pune. He was suggesting that this should not ensudre his place for another two years while opposition sides make merry at his expense.

On a closer look it appeared to be close to being true. Between that day at melbourne in January 2004 and Pune, AA played 22 matches (non-minnows as i have decided to use from now onwards unless situation warrants otherwise), bowled 100 overs (and a few balls), taking 15 wickets at 40.7 runs each , conceding 610 runs

This brings us to the biggest complaint everyone has with The big eared God (after Lord Vinayak) - his Economy rate. An alarming 6.08 per over or a Dhoni like 101 plus per 100 deliveries. Even if we add the last game, the figures dont change all that greatly. The economy rate still beats most batsmen and challenges Dhoni at 99.1.

This is alarming because it means that Agarkar has been the equivalent of a batsman with an average of 40 and a strike rate about a run a ball for the opposition. With a wicket every 40 deliveries this means if India had five Agarkars bowling the opposition would average between 297 and 303 runs per 50 overs losing 7.5 to 9.5 wickets on an average (depending upon whether or not we include the Pune match).

Alarming indeed.

AA had his worse period after a fantastic start. Then he continued to improve (his critics may not agree) but today he is at his most profligate and a very expensive bowler indeed. See for yourself.

M'S.........Runs/Wkt......Runs/100 balls....Balls/Wkt
First 30........24.4............88.3....................27.7
Next 20........54.4............92.3....................59.0
Next 20........30.5............85.5....................35.6
Next 20........26.5............86.7....................30.6
Next 20........26.5............88.6....................29.9
Last 16........30.6............97.9....................31.3

Overall.........29.5............89.2........33.1

He isnt young and he isnt getting runs except when the moon decided to aqcuire a bluish tint. I think AA may not be the best horse to back for team India unless he brings something more out of his batting arsenal. But is there anything there ??
utter blasphemy....!!! :@ have faith sjs, have faith.....only then will you understand the true divinity and omnipotence of the one and only aa, repent now and escape the scorching flames of the cw purgatory.... :devil2: :vampire: :blowup: :laugh: :laugh:

jack_sparrow

U19 Debutant
Mike Hussey said:
Ah, The one who scored 7 test match ducks in a row against Australia?
lmfao

you know everytime a no-body does good, people want to make threads about them. I think I'll start the GREAT SHABBIR AHMED THREAD.

viktor

State Vice-Captain
jack_sparrow said:
lmfao

you know everytime a no-body does good, people want to make threads about them. I think I'll start the GREAT SHABBIR AHMED THREAD.
ahh..a noob :dry:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I can't believe so many people miss the ligh-heartedness of this post.

I still can't get over that pic of AA and Yuvraj. That is great!