• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Wasim Akram Best Left Arm Fast Bowler Ever?

archie mac

International Coach
magsi23 said:
I think so
Lefties have been quite rare when it comes to speed. For Aust. Bruce Reid was cut down by injuries, but Alan Davidson was a fine bowler, though a little below the pace of Wasim from what I have read.

From the oldies Bill Voce was a fast leftie but was not considered fast compared to Larwood. You could throw in Sobers, and a few others but all in all I don't think you will have to many arguments.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
No argument from me.

If Sobers had been a poor batter or spin bowler, I daresay he might have compensated for that by becming the greatest-ever leftie paceman, but he wasn't. So he didn't.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
Wasim clear no.1. next best is Vaas.
Wasim may be number one but to call Vaas the second best left arm pacer ever is a bit...er....hurried :)

howardj

International Coach
Akram rules the world, as far as left-armers are concerned. I reckon he's the only guy in the history of cricket who could have bowled 140km+ off about a two or three step run-up - remarkably quick arm action. He could do absolutely anything with the ball too. The 'pioneer' of reverse-swing.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
dinu23 said:
Wasim clear no.1. next best is Vaas.
Alan Davidson?

186 wickets @ 20.53 in 44 tests. Also averaged almost 25 with the bat.

If Davidson isn't as good as Wasim, he's very close indeed. He didn't have Wasim's pace, but he was a metronome in the style of Bedser and McGrath, and a great swing bowler, possibly the greatest of his era.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Alan Davidson?

186 wickets @ 20.53 in 44 tests. Also averaged almost 25 with the bat.

If Davidson isn't as good as Wasim, he's very close indeed. He didn't have Wasim's pace, but he was a metronome in the style of Bedser and McGrath, and a great swing bowler, possibly the greatest of his era.
Spot on Faaip !

howardj

International Coach
Speaking of batting, I think Akram only ended up with an average of 20-25, which belies his talent. One of the first games I ever watched on TV was where he smashed a brutal century at the Adelaide Oval, in a Test Match against Australia. He punted some poor Aussie quick back over his head for six, which is nothing to be sneezed at on the Adelaide Oval.

Shoaib

Banned
howardj said:
He could do absolutely anything with the ball too.
Wasim Akram is the Best Left Arm Fast Bowler Ever & master of reverse swing but its legendary Sarfaraz Nawaz who was the the pioneer of reverse swing,not anyone amongst Wasim,Waqar & Imran.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
howardj said:
Speaking of batting, I think Akram only ended up with an average of 20-25, which belies his talent. One of the first games I ever watched on TV was where he smashed a brutal century at the Adelaide Oval, in a Test Match against Australia. He punted some poor Aussie quick back over his head for six, which is nothing to be sneezed at on the Adelaide Oval.
He also has a big test double century, the only one at number 8 in the order !!

The fact of the matter is that even though he played some devastating strokes, he did not have an all round game (while batting) to become more consistent. He relied very heavily on a few strokes and a few heaves. I know his millions of fans (I am one) will not like the sound of that but it is a fact. He would thus be found out by good attack later in his career. His defense was feeble at best.

Having said that, I am convinced that if he had set his mind to it and worked at it, he would have scored many more runs than he did. I think he was happy contributing the bit that he was and not being under pressure for a place in the side due to his bowling which didnt desert him throughout, he was able to do so.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
SJS said:
Having said that, I am convinced that if he had set his mind to it and worked at it, he would have scored many more runs than he did
Like Imran Khan did when he injured his shoulder.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
nightprowler10 said:
Like Imran Khan did when he injured his shoulder.
Yes thats right.

There are other examples from recent times Warne and Vettori come readily to mind. I am not saying Wasim didnt do as much with the bat as they have done but they were never considered all rounders and he was. THey showed great improvement from modest beginnings by sheer application.