• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What you gotta do to become a Test Nation?

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Sorry for the question, but i dont really know that. I read that yesterday Ireland has won the ICC intercontinental Trophy (so i assume they can claim to be the best non-Test nation at the moment) but what you need to win to become a Test Nation?

Chubb

International Regular
It's not a question of winning anything. It's a question of proving you have players able to compete at test level as well as structures to develop more, including a strong domestic league. In the case of Zimbabwe, they were far too strong for all the associate nations in the eighties and early nineties. When they proved they could compete against the Test nations and could maintain their development, they were voted into test status. It takes a very long time from the question being raised to it actually happening. Zim had been seeking test status from around about independence in 1980, but despite good performances at World Cups, and winning every ICC Trophy practically without breaking sweat, they only got Test Status in 1992.

Bangladesh are a poor example of getting test status because they were far from ready for it, and the ICC were (I believe) largely motivated by money in giving them it. They should not have gotten Test Status until 2010 or so in my opinion.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Chubb, totally off topic here but noticing your signature made me remember it: Have you seen this on DCL re-organisation? It's not going to be E East for much longer...

The analysis of becoming a Test nation is pretty much bang on - add power blocs and politicking to the reasoning for Bangladeshi promotion, too.

open365

International Vice-Captain
The main reason Bangladesh got test status is because they have a bigger following than most of the test nations.

Bangladeshis are cricket mad,they had massive parties in the streets when they beat Australia,cricket is their main sport.

they have lots of potential to develop into a top-class cricketing nation.

Chubb

International Regular
Neil Pickup said:
Chubb, totally off topic here but noticing your signature made me remember it: Have you seen this on DCL re-organisation? It's not going to be E East for much longer...
Yeah, most Eastern division clubs think it's a really bad idea. I mean, we barely have the transport to get around East Devon, so how we're going to get to Plymouth or Woodland Fort I have no idea. Also, Upottery is literally ten minutes walk from the Somerset border, and we'll have to leave about 10.00 am to get to some of the Western grounds, and they'll have to do the same.

In addition to that, when the East Devon Cricket League merged with the DCL proper, they were promised full amalgamation would never happen. Upottery were already in the DCL (apparently we used to have a very strong side in the late eighties/early nineties), but still... The DCL wants to ride roughshod over our old system, a system which is designed to make it easy for small villages to play league cricket. I am against it.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Chubb said:
Bangladesh are a poor example of getting test status because they were far from ready for it, and the ICC were (I believe) largely motivated by money in giving them it.
I think there was another issue involving a certain administrator wanting another Asian vote in decisions...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
open365 said:
Bangladeshis are cricket mad,they had massive parties in the streets when they beat Australia,cricket is their main sport.
Bah, that's nothing - we took over the whole capital!!!

cricnewbye

Cricket Spectator
Good domestic league? Gosh, thats tough to set up in short term...
so suppose theres not a minimum or maximum limit for Test Nation's teams? One day we could have say 18 Test Nations?

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
cricnewbye said:
Good domestic league? Gosh, thats tough to set up in short term...
so suppose theres not a minimum or maximum limit for Test Nation's teams? One day we could have say 18 Test Nations?
Once we get up to that sort of number, then we would definitely be looking at divisions, but yes, in theory there's no limit.

(ICC to set one in 5....4....3....)

open365

International Vice-Captain
marc71178 said:
Bah, that's nothing - we took over the whole capital!!!
we took up the whole airport when the Scotish womens curling team won gold at the olympics.

i'm amazed we didn't take the whole country...

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
cricnewbye said:
Sorry for the question, but i dont really know that. I read that yesterday Ireland has won the ICC intercontinental Trophy (so i assume they can claim to be the best non-Test nation at the moment) but what you need to win to become a Test Nation?
Have a huge population, preferably approaching a billion.

You should be part of what was once the "British Empire" and the British should feel guilty about it still.

If you have a lousy cricket team does it help a lot , of course. :sleep:

Josh

International Regular
SJS said:
Have a huge population, preferably approaching a billion.

You should be part of what was once the "British Empire" and the British should feel guilty about it still.

If you have a lousy cricket team does it help a lot , of course. :sleep:
In this just in, USA have achieved Test Status... lol