• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the world's best Test bowler ever?

open365

International Vice-Captain
Jamee999 said:
Asoka was known by 3 names.

And we ALL know that old saying "If you're known by 3 names, take 127 off your Test bowling average"

Therefore Asoka averages 2, while Warne averages, what ever Shane Warne averages. (37 or something)
*imagines Chamida Vass' average*

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Who is the world's best Test bowler ever?

Easily the most popular cricket question since the best batsman debate was settled by Bradman bar the raving and ranting infidels :p

The most common, most popular and most widely supported amongst the students of the game is SF Barnes.

Surprisingly, the most common candidates to challenge that have been all leg spinners and all Australians viz, Orielly, Grimmett and Warne. To this one would have added Muralitharan but for the controversy around his bowling action.

archie mac

International Coach
a massive zebra said:
No, too many holes in his armoury, as C_C has shown numerous times. Failed in the subcontinent, weak against tailenders and lefthanders. His reputation far outweighs his actual performance.
I watched him bowl, I have know doubt he is the best fast bowler I ever watched.

He hardly played in the subcontinent, and a lot was made that he did not dismiss tail enders during his career, who cares dismiss the top order, and let the lesser bowlers wrap up the tail.

Just about every contemporary rates him the best bowler, good enough for me.

I am talking about DK Lillee :)

How the clown managed to have anyone in front of George Lohmann a player who averaged 10 and claimed a 100 wickets. I think SF Barnes is/was the best.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I am talking about DK Lillee :)
Surprisingly, not many talk of him any more , including Australians. Greatest fast bowler at that speed one has seen. Hadlee bowled his best(that I was privileged to watch) at less than real fast. The only one I have seen who bowled consistently fast and unplayable stuff was Imran Khan for a period of about three years (I think) during which he destroyed Gavaskar's reputation for me as an opener.

Then there was Andy Roberts.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS Then there was Andy Roberts.[/QUOTE said:
Yes the man with two bouncers, the first sat up and the batsman hit it for four. The 2nd crashed into the batsmans jaw, as Hookes and Botham to name a couple found.

SteveG

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
IMO it is almost impossible to choose who has been the best bowler. There are no obvious stand-outs in bowling as there are in batting.

You could name 2-3 great bowlers from every country and still have arguments.

I grew up watching Lillee bowl, and even modelled my own action on his, but I wouldn't say he was the greatest bowler who ever lived (Possibly, one of the top 5 ). I thought Roberts and Holding were wonderful bowlers. Ambrose was incredible on his day, as was Hadlee, Imran Khan, Wasim Akram, etc.

McGrath will be the equal of Lillee for me, in some ways I thing he is a superior bowler.

As far as spinners go, I would find it hard to separate Warne and Murali because they are both so different. In saying that, I have read a lot about O'Reilly, but having not seen him I can't judge him.

If I was in a corner and had to give my vote...I'd give it to Warne...just!

Shoaib

Banned
The world's best test bowler ever is either legendery Muttiah Muralitharan or Wasim Akram.The guys closest to these two will be Richard Hadlee,Shane Warne,Malcolm Marshall,Imran Khan,Waqar Younis,Glenn McGrath,Courtney Walsh & Sarfaraz Nawaz.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shoaib said:
The world's best test bowler ever is either legendery Muttiah Muralitharan or Wasim Akram.The guys closest to these two will be Richard Hadlee,Shane Warne,Malcolm Marshall,Imran Khan,Waqar Younis,Glenn McGrath,Courtney Walsh & Safaraz Nawaz.
Hmmmm.....So 4 Pakistani's out of your top 11 of all time ....thats not the smell of bias is it ? :p

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Ha! Giles takes the highest quality of wickets! Don't diss him now! *muahahaha*

This article is clearly flawed if it rates MacGill as 21st best Test bowler of all time. It places way too much importance on some things and not enough on others, for instance. It backs up what we've been saying (Murali is nowhere near as effective away from home) and shoots one of AMZs pet theories in the foot (Warne takes a higher wuality of wickets) - for some reason none of these are given equal importance.

For the record, the best bowler I've seen is Warne, I don't have a clue who's the best ever - but I know it's not Murali.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
a massive zebra said:
Well, you did find some evidence to support this ludicrous statement, which is more than I can say for myself, but to be perfectly honest I think even you would admit that the very brief passage above is hardly 'rigorous proof' that De Silva was a more effective Test match bowler than Warne, as you claimed you would be able to find.
That's 'cause I'm having great difficulty motivating myself to scour the stats!

I'm pretty sure that Asoka's wicket taking rate is far more consistent than Warne - you could be sure that Asoka would get 0 or 1, but with Warne all those 5s and 6s cause a much greater variance. I could also analyse the RPOs in a similar manner, consistency wickets per match....

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
On Asoka v Shane's mum's chemist's best customer....

It's worth factoring in the fact that Ashocker suffered terribly as a player with respect to umpiring.

When he was plying his trade, he was far less likely to pick up any leg-before decisions with balls pitching 4 or 5 inches outside leg stump.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
His name is Warnakulasurya Pattapadike Usantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas, right? I just reeled it off memory. I memorized it some 10 years ago juz to show that I had the most knowledge of cricket in my class. Yes, I know it was stupid but I was only 12.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
honestbharani said:
His name is Warnakulasurya Pattapadike Usantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas, right? I just reeled it off memory. I memorized it some 10 years ago juz to show that I had the most knowledge of cricket in my class. Yes, I know it was stupid but I was only 12.
Close... I memorised it as well, I think it's Warnakulasuriya Patabendige Ushantha Joseph Chaminda Vaas... I'll go check now. :p
EDIT: Cricinfo agrees. I really did memorise it, honest! :D

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
lol. It is amazing that we memorized ridiculously long names of a player of a sport popular in a handful of countries to show ourselves off as being knowledgable about the said game. We are crazy guys, aren't we? :D